Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
When you get your meter, set it on DC scale and place the leads across the battery terminals. You should see between six and seven volts. Now, start the truck, bring it to a fast idle, and measure across the battery terminals. You should see an increase in voltage, up to 7 plus volts. If you see 7volts, you have a six volt generator. If the voltage measured across the battery is in the range of 10---13 volts, you have a 12V generator and can figure the system has had some kind of conversion to 12v. If you see the higher voltage, it will soon cause the 6v battery to boil. If you don't have a meter of your own, go to a hardware store and buy one. Cheap tool and necessary for playing with this old stuff. We wish you luck.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:38 PM
West Texas

Jacnat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
When you get your meter, set it on DC scale and place the leads across the battery terminals. You should see between six and seven volts. Now, start the truck, bring it to a fast idle, and measure across the battery terminals. You should see an increase in voltage, up to 7 plus volts. If you see 7volts, you have a six volt generator. If the voltage measured across the battery is in the range of 10---13 volts, you have a 12V generator and can figure the system has had some kind of conversion to 12v. If you see the higher voltage, it will soon cause the 6v battery to boil. If you don't have a meter of your own, go to a hardware store and buy one. Cheap tool and necessary for playing with this old stuff. We wish you luck.
Ok I got a meter and just tested across the battery terminals. Tested a little above 6 without the truck running. I cranked the truck and tested again at fast idle and it went up just a tad but still below 7.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 PM
West Texas

Doc, I am looking at the wire you pointed to in the pic above and don't see any designation of + or -
Old 07-18-2014, 02:41 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
As I suspected, nothing has been converted to 12v except the battery and a light bulb. But to be sure, you need to disconnect the battery while it's running at +/- 1200 RPM and read generator output at the battery cables.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacnat View Post
Doc, I am looking at the wire you pointed to in the pic above and don't see any designation of + or -
It will be cast into the top of the coil next to the terminal.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
One terminal of the coil could say "IGN" and the other be the ground symbol.
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM
West Texas

The wire from the coil to the points is on the negative terminal.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Old guy with old toys

Quote:
The wire from the coil to the points is on the negative terminal.
If I understand what you say, that indicates someone has switched the wires as in partial conversion. In the stock positive ground configuration, the wire from the + side of the coil should run to the distributor which carries the circuit to positive ground when the points close. It will run either way, just not as well if reversed. IMO, don't worry about that right now although you can change it if you desire.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Jacnat, if you decide to go back to 6-volt, we can walk you through the steps involved. The only thing you'll have to buy is a 6-volt battery (Tractor Supply sells them) and whatever 6-volt bulbs (and headlights) that are needed. If you go back to 6-volt, I'd recommend that you go back to positive ground. You'll have to re-polarize the generator and possibly reverse the direction of the wire going through the ammeter.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 07-19-2014, 02:00 AM
New User

DukeofBohem is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good discussion! My first time running thru an entire thread and I learned alot. I too am just starting a restomod on a 1948 Ford F-1 and this really helps me with my plan.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofBohem View Post
Good discussion! My first time running thru an entire thread and I learned alot. I too am just starting a restomod on a 1948 Ford F-1 and this really helps me with my plan.

Thanks!
Yes, I want to second this. This discussion has helped me a lot. I plan to tackle my first big project soon which is to completely rewire my truck. It's encouraging to be able to ask a question and get this level of feedback from people who obviously know what they are doing. Thanks to all.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 AM
New User

brokencookie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not to muddy the waters but there is a 3rd alternative to 12 or 6 volt. You can install 2 - 6v batteries and a 12 volt alternator. This allows you to run all of your original gauges etc on 6 volts and all of your new accessories ( radio, AC etc) on 12 volts. Motor homes do this with 2 -12 volt batteries to run 24 volt systems. However, you still have to change over to negative ground.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Jancnat
Rewiring is a great way to get familiar with your truck. While there are harness kits available, you can replace one line at a time if you want to make your own. The Shop Manual and Operator's Manual have wiring diagrams with the color coding and guages. Be certain that the turn signals are correct - the turn and tail lights can be combined with dual filament sockets/ bulbs.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Senior User

fordf348 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been following this thread, I just checked my truck and the wire from the coil to the distributor is on the negative poll......6 volt battery positive ground......does anyone recommend changing the coil wire?
Ed
near Philadelphia
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf348 View Post
I have been following this thread, I just checked my truck and the wire from the coil to the distributor is on the negative poll......6 volt battery positive ground......does anyone recommend changing the coil wire?
Ed
near Philadelphia
Well.....considering you just made a thousand-plus mile round trip with that truck back in June, I don't really know what to say. It's supposed to be on the positive pole. I switched my dad's car back to positive ground once and re-polarized the generator. But I forgot to put the distributor wire on the positive pole of the coil. He drove it to town a couple times and shut it off. Both times, he was stuck sitting there for 20-30 minutes before it would restart. I turned it around, and it never happened again. I'm surprised it will restart after it gets hot. If you swap it, polarize the generator again just to be sure, and then watch your gauges.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM