Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Freshman User

johnson.jeff.a is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steel wheels hub caps and beauty rings

Afternoon all, so my 55 f100 badly needs new tires, and before I purchase those, I want to have a tire/wheel plan that I can live with for a while.

I like the way it sits on the tire/wheel combination it has now, but I cannot stand the hubcaps on the truck. They are center caps from a much later ford truck, and just look wrong. My dad (former owner) believes he got the wheels (in the 70’s) from a late 60’s early 70’s ford. They are 15”, not sure about the width, and the center caps wrap around the center of the wheel (rather than insert into).

Honestly, I don’t much care that the wheels are not original, but the look I want is a nicely painted/powder coated steel wheel with a center cover that looks like it could have been used in the 50’s (if not something that looks original.. though I prefer chrome to painted), and maybe some beauty rings to finish off.

That was a very long intro to my question…. I’ve been able to find a source for “baby moons” that should fit the later model ford wheels, but any other center cap I’ve found (and like), are made to insert into, rather than wrap round, the wheel center. Is there a source for more “vintage” looking center caps that will fit on these older model wheels, or do I just need to look for some different wheels?

Appreciation and respect to anyone that read all of that.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Joe

Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey there, can you post a picture of what you are looking to put on your truck?

I think I can help you out on this, and can surely get you best price on baby moons and trim rings...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
You need to provide a picture of what you have as there are so many variables. I can't speak for all but most of us here would just be guessing without seeing what you have.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
The two hubcap mounting styles do have their unique looks. You'll need to decide what you want your truck to look like. If you want smaller caps, you'll have to change wheels, there's no way around that. If you are ok with the larger caps, Ford started to use that size on cars in 1949, so there's a lot of 50's style caps that could work as an alternative to the baby moons (which would be my choice, fwiw). A google search will bring up tons of images.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1949-5...FcRffgodwAwAPw

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Freshman User

Thanks. Truck is in transit from ca to tx. I will see if I have pictures that give enough focus on the wheel, and get those posted. If I don't, I'll get some up, when I see the truck late next week.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Senior User

69 f-100 aman is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltman View Post
Hey there, can you post a picture of what you are looking to put on your truck?

I think I can help you out on this, and can surely get you best price on baby moons and trim rings...

what kind of deal do you have on ring and baby moons, im looking to get some in the 15" range. let me know Thanks Dan
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Joe

Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.Maltman has a good reputation on FTE.
send me a PM with size of BMs (8, 9, or 10") and material and depth of trim rings-SS, Chrome or plastic). Ill reply price-Ill be in office for another hour

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 f-100 aman View Post
what kind of deal do you have on ring and baby moons, im looking to get some in the 15" range. let me know Thanks Dan
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Posting Guru

Okiedokie is starting off with a positive reputation.
A while back someone was making a early looking cap that fits on the later wheels with the knubs on the outside of center. I am sure they had the late 40's F1 style caps. Let me see if I can find out who that is, if they are still around. From the problem some seem to be having with the early style repo caps staying on, it might be a better way.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Junior User

alamartina is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey there. On my 52 I have 8 lug wheels. I sourced chrome hub covers over a painted wheel with trim rings. I get many comments specifically on the wheel treatment. I also had FORD script vinyl lettering made for each of the hub covers. I'll try to post a pic.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Freshman User

Best picture I have at the moment, and first time I've tried to post a pic. Hope it works:
1955 F-100 Barn Pull 2014 by johnson.jeff.a Picture 1561703 - Ford-Trucks
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Freshman User

Here is the best pic I have of the wheels.... unfortunately the hub cap is on.
1955 F-100 Barn Pull 2014 by johnson.jeff.a Picture 1561703 - Ford-Trucks
Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Freshman User

Okiedokie, if you can track that down, it would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Posting Guru

Okiedokie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I did a little searching and see that I made a similar post on here in 2009. I could not recall the company then, so not much chance now. Being old is tough on the timeline of life, lol.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedokie View Post
.... I could not recall the company then, so not much chance now. Being old is tough on the timeline of life, lol.
No worries. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Elder User

Schuyles is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Schuyler Travis
In my experience, the options are pretty limited for the "later" model wheels you probably have. The inside diameter of the hub cap needs to be about 10 1/4". I've been using Mr. Gasket baby moons for 4-5 years on my '65 with, I believe, the same wheels you have. They didn't fit right and I had to use a Dremel to make some room. They have stayed on pretty well ever since.

If you find any older looking hub caps that work, please let us know!

The only factory hub cap that I really like for these wheels, which I just bought, came on some '65 and '66 F100's and 1964 galaxies, customs, and 500's. There are some out there that are 9 1/2" so you gotta make sure they are 10 1/4".

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks