Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Senior User

wallster has a good reputation on FTE.wallster has a good reputation on FTE.
Weekend incident with Ol' Red

Stopped by my friends shop to change my leaky pinion seal on Saturday morning and on the way home noticed the steering started to pull hard to the right. It became even harder as I was driving so I pulled into the next parking lot to check it out. Turns out I had a right front tire go flat. The building next door from where I was located was a Goodyear so I drove it to their front door. The tire was chewed up enough to warrant a new one so I ended up buying two that were one size narrower than what I had (the right front was too close to the fender lip for comfort and since the previous tires were free I didn't feel so bad buying two new ones). When the mechanic/tire dude drove my Ol' Red around back he told me that it was leaking transmission fluid. When I took a look at it, it was the rack that was spewing the fluid. It turns out (no pun intended) that when I was cranking on the wheel to steer it into the parking lot the rack loosened up enough to pull on a line which made the fitting on the rack leak. I tried to re-tighten the fitting but it still leaks. Next stop, my other friends shop who has a lift so I can replace the o-ring on the fitting and get the rack dry again. To think how happy I was when the pinion seal replacement went so well.
I've got to admit though that I've been thrilled so far with how the truck is running and working, I love driving this truck. We even picked up six 80lb. bags of concrete and two pressure treated pieces of lumber last week.

Wally

"No amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck"
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Wally,

Its always something......LOL

Sometimes owning an old Ford is like stepping on your own *****.

I'm glad you got the pinion leak fixed. Good luck on the other little things. Its great that you are out there driving it and working out the bugs. Its a beautiful truck

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks