Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Edge Power Steering Fluid Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:00 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Power Steering Fluid Loss

3.5 Liter V6 2007 Edge 96,000 miles and had to add ATF fluid to the Power Steering Reservoir since the level was at the Min. level and hissing noise was present. I found this out backing out of parking spot and turning the wheel. Wife mentioned, "oh yeah, started doing this last night". Naturally, it was the weekend and we were headed out, so I stopped at the nearest auto place, bought the fluid, and carefully added with a funnel. The sound went partially away, and the hiss only occurs when turning right. Dealer looked at vehicle and claims 'whole rack and pinion defective'. As a 2nd opinion, I had an independent shop look things over, and they confirmed the same. I even saw the vehicle hoisted and they showed me the two protective boots leaking fluid. Fast forward to this weekend, brother-n-law was given permission to change the rack and pinion, and he claims it is not defective, and only the right boot was somewhat oily, which he cleaned. He has had car since Weds. and also claims no leak and Power Steering reservoir overfilled. What gives? I didn't overfill when adding and shop didn't add either. Why isn't reservoir lowering if leaking - let alone why I had to add fluid a couple weeks ago when low? Also, since we are getting the car back tomorrow, I can't verify the overfill that he claims. Could something else be occurring that isn't being taken into account, such as clogged hose, partially failing power steering pump, etc.? Edge seems to run fine. Thanks in advance.