Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Contemplating 1972 F6/700 Dump Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating 1972 F6/700 Dump Purchase

Uncle has a 1972 F600 or F700 dump that he's had since at least the late 70's. It has been sitting for six or seven years in a nice, metal post-frame shed.

I, at this time, do not know a lot about this truck except that it is a hydraulic dump, 4 speed with granny-low, electric two-speed rear, and two-piece, steel wheels. It does have the 330 engine. It also has a longer bed with short, wood sideboards --- maybe eleven or twelve feet long?

Years ago, he farmed, and used the truck to haul grain and other things on his farm. I remember him working the truck regularly 10 or so years ago. He has gotten older, and it has just sat. I mentioned I had been looking at dump trucks, and he offered me "old blue".

We didn't talk prices -- he says bring a battery and a can of gas, and it will run. I have my doubts, but I have a 4 year old, who like his Dad, loves to tinker -- so, we may just see tomorrow. My 4 year old is the whole reason for this. He and I love old iron, and I've always wanted an old "two ton" or bigger truck.

I do have my concerns, however. To try and keep this as short as possible, I am a "conservative" thinker. I already have my Granddaddy's 1978 F150 that he bought new, which like "old blue", sat in a shed for about 11 years. "Bring a battery and gas," Granddaddy said about this '78. Three and a half years after GIVING me the truck and $6,000 later, I have a '78 that I did all of the work on with my own two hands (aside from exhaust) and would drive it to California in a heart beat. Admittedly, none of that $6k was for paint, body, or interior. It's tires, brakes, new carb, etc. etc. The engine is still the original -- 103k original miles, never rebuilt.

That being said, with the price Unk will likely ask for "old blue" (the '72 dump), I could easily see $6-$8,000 spent in a year or so -- still, nothing in paint, body, or interior. I already, almost, have myself talked out of even going to look.

But, here's the deal -- I love old iron.

1) I don't need it.

2) I want it.

3) When running and useable, I could hire it out in my spare time.

4) With #3, however, and probably not much more than what it would take to make this truck streetable, I could probably acquire a Class 8, diesel-powered, 25-ton payload rig that will always, ton-for-ton, more efficiently haul than this rig.

5) Although, I am not buying it to "work for profit."

I just don't know.

Okay, so I'm asking y'all for two things -- 1) If I go out there tomorrow or whenever, what are some things to look for and be cautious of on these old trucks? 2) Talk me in or out of it --- what is your opinion?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:23 PM
bleedin'blue
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a very similar truck at an auction for $800 in non running condition. 1973 F-600 330ci 4x2 transmission, 14' hydraulic grain box. It needed minor brake work, a new mechanical fuel pump, the in-cab fuel tank cleaned out, carb rebuild, new starter and I replaced the points with an electronic ignition system. Maybe $500 in parts total.

NAPA carries a majority of the parts for these trucks at pretty reasonable prices. It runs great and gets used almost daily during the summer on our hobby farm. It always starts and while the old 330 is no powerhouse, it has no problem moving the truck with a full load of grain (at 45mph top speed).

I would be cautious of the tires, they are most likely dry rotted if the truck has been sitting. The brakes are also a concern, even in perfect condition, the hydraulic brakes take a long time to stop, especially with a load on.

I wouldn't bet that it will fire right up with fresh gas and a battery, but you never know. Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't take too much to get it going. I enjoy working on these older trucks and mine has paid for itself easily in just one summer of use.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
You can expect 5 to 7 mpg, maybe less with a big load.

As per above, tires are an issue and since it has tube-type tires on two piece (hopefully lock ring, not widowmaker) wheels, you will have to find a truck tire store that will work on them, or convert to tubeless. Either option is expensive.

Brake parts are available, and sitting that long you should go through them. It's not a question of "if" you will blow a wheel cylinder, it's "when". Brakes absorb water, and water rusts the cylinders and the rust tears or makes the seals stick resulting in a leak and eventual blow out.

Brake drums are not available new per prior posts and inquiries here.

If the two speed axle is a mystery, I can find you the Eaton instructions.
(you may have an instruction sticker on the visor if you're lucky)

Wheel lug torque is beyond the reach of mortal men, unless you have a 4 foot cheater bar or 1" drive air wrench, and the rear axle hub retaining nut is one of several sizes so you won't know until you pull an axle which wrench to buy.

The dump should be run off a PTO. Check those controls, some are done up real nice, some.....

One of the best trucks of it's kind in it's day.

Good luck with it.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:02 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am envious of that dump truck already and you don't even have it.

You can't justify that old truck with dollars, unless you write off the expenses to good parenting. My son is now 36 and my daughter is 31. I kept both of them interested in doing things in the shop. Both of them, not just the boy. Niether one of them are what you could call an overachiever, but I haven't had to bail them out of jail or put them in drug rehab. They both have knowledge that helps them in life if it's nothing more than being able to drive a stick shift or change their own oil and flat tires.

It sounds like you share my love for old vehicles and bringing them back to life. This is a passion you have that many people don't understand, but I do. I also understand the need to get your son interested and passionate about something that you can share with him. Share your passion with your son. Have patience with him. If you are changing a part, don't allow for the hour or two that you need to do it yourself. Set aside the whole day for the job and let your son do as much of the work as possible. Teach him safety as you go.

Get him interested and keep him interested. Involve him in the decisions about what you will do first, or the color or whether you take off one part to get access to another. If he wants to take off a pert unnecessarily to get to another let him do it with your help so he learns. It could very well end up in the long run to be the very best money you ever spent.

You possibly have one of the best opportunities of your life right in front of you. Don't push him to be involved, cultivate an interest so he will WANT TO BE involved.

That dump truck could almost be an heirloom. You've seen it from afar, now you and your son can get intimately familiar with it.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
I have a few minutes for further comment.

A friend of mine has a small dump to which I think he has an attachment, or maybe just uses it because of his big heart. He has a 96 F700 or so that he hauls sand and gravel for small jobs with. He has done lots of building site prep over the years while holding down a lucrative full time job. He retired fro the full time job about a year ago. He has considerable financial holdings including a large number of rent houses. Every time I talk to him he tells me with passion how much he is enjoying retirement, fishing, time with the grand kids et al.

The point I am driving at is that he doesn't need the money makes with that little dump truck, but he keeps it going. He knows everyone around here including the sources of sand, gravel and asphalt and knows the best time and way to get a good deal. This guy and another mutual friend have offered to do the site prep for the shop I hope to build for the cost of material. I said that so you can see that either he enjoys running that little dump around, or he just enjoys helping people. Although he is shrewd with his money, he has a heart of gold and likes helping others.

I am still wandering around to say that he obviously enjoys running that dump, but he enjoys making a few extra bucks too. If you know enough people in your area, it might very well be that you could pick up a few extra bucks while helping others and teaching your son about bartering and how helping others can serve to find them helping you back.

More to come.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Senior User
Originally Posted by bleedin'blue
I picked up a very similar truck at an auction for $800 in non running condition. 1973 F-600 330ci 4x2 transmission, 14' hydraulic grain box. It needed minor brake work, a new mechanical fuel pump, the in-cab fuel tank cleaned out, carb rebuild, new starter and I replaced the points with an electronic ignition system. Maybe $500 in parts total.

NAPA carries a majority of the parts for these trucks at pretty reasonable prices. It runs great and gets used almost daily during the summer on our hobby farm. It always starts and while the old 330 is no powerhouse, it has no problem moving the truck with a full load of grain (at 45mph top speed).

I would be cautious of the tires, they are most likely dry rotted if the truck has been sitting. The brakes are also a concern, even in perfect condition, the hydraulic brakes take a long time to stop, especially with a load on.

I wouldn't bet that it will fire right up with fresh gas and a battery, but you never know. Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't take too much to get it going. I enjoy working on these older trucks and mine has paid for itself easily in just one summer of use.
Thank you!

Not sure of his price yet, but we will see. I honestly had myself talked out of this truck after calling about tires and the lack of available parts, but these new responses have reignited my interest. I will be checking it out! =)

After doing search after search here in the forums, I have concluded this truck has the 20" two, or multi-piece, wheels. Not sure of the "widow makers" by looks, but I have heard stories. These wheels have the 6-oblong, circle holes in them.

New, 10R-20's for two steers and 4 closed-shoulder drives are about $1,800 at my local shop. I have found the 8 or 10's bias tires for about $200 each, maybe less, by Coker and others -- although, I'm not sure at this time of the load ranges. All of which, I planned on mounting myself.

The $1,800 had me walking backwards at first, but after hearing here that many parts are still available, more calls will be made! =)

As you said, I agree --- I'm doubtful on fresh gas and a battery for quick starting. I'll bet at the very minimum, the fuel tank will need cleaning or replacing, carburetor refreshed, brake system overhaul, and possibly the damage of a field mouse or two in the electrical system repaired.

With my '78 351M having the original Duraspark ignition, I will be very inclined to convert to electronic ignition, but I am familiar with breaker point systems, so troubleshooting shouldn't be as issue, as long as parts are available.

Thank you again, so much! =)

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
You can expect 5 to 7 mpg, maybe less with a big load.

As per above, tires are an issue and since it has tube-type tires on two piece (hopefully lock ring, not widowmaker) wheels, you will have to find a truck tire store that will work on them, or convert to tubeless. Either option is expensive.

Brake parts are available, and sitting that long you should go through them. It's not a question of "if" you will blow a wheel cylinder, it's "when". Brakes absorb water, and water rusts the cylinders and the rust tears or makes the seals stick resulting in a leak and eventual blow out.

Brake drums are not available new per prior posts and inquiries here.

If the two speed axle is a mystery, I can find you the Eaton instructions.

(you may have an instruction sticker on the visor if you're lucky)

Wheel lug torque is beyond the reach of mortal men, unless you have a 4 foot cheater bar or 1" drive air wrench, and the rear axle hub retaining nut is one of several sizes so you won't know until you pull an axle which wrench to buy.

The dump should be run off a PTO. Check those controls, some are done up real nice, some.....

One of the best trucks of it's kind in it's day.

Good luck with it.
Brakes are a most-definite! That was the very 1st system I had to refresh on my '78, and when all said and done after 11 years of sitting, EVERY component is new or remanufactured except for the metal frame lines, rear rubber lines, and rotors. The only reason the frame lines were okay is they were replaced in 2002.

The brake system on this Big F is what made me turn away the 1st time when it came to replacement part availability. I will definitely be making some calls, though!

I have a Class A CDL and have logged many miles in newer rigs, but never a two-speed rear. Unk promised a tutorial when she was rolling again.

The dump is a PTO unit. I'm not sure which transmission is in this truck or the PTO, but I know that much. Hopefully, all is still okay there.

Thank you so greatly for your time! =)

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan

I am envious of that dump truck already and you don't even have it.

You can't justify that old truck with dollars, unless you write off the expenses to good parenting. My son is now 36 and my daughter is 31. I kept both of them interested in doing things in the shop. Both of them, not just the boy. Niether one of them are what you could call an overachiever, but I haven't had to bail them out of jail or put them in drug rehab. They both have knowledge that helps them in life if it's nothing more than being able to drive a stick shift or change their own oil and flat tires.

It sounds like you share my love for old vehicles and bringing them back to life. This is a passion you have that many people don't understand, but I do. I also understand the need to get your son interested and passionate about something that you can share with him. Share your passion with your son. Have patience with him. If you are changing a part, don't allow for the hour or two that you need to do it yourself. Set aside the whole day for the job and let your son do as much of the work as possible. Teach him safety as you go.

Get him interested and keep him interested. Involve him in the decisions about what you will do first, or the color or whether you take off one part to get access to another. If he wants to take off a pert unnecessarily to get to another let him do it with your help so he learns. It could very well end up in the long run to be the very best money you ever spent.

You possibly have one of the best opportunities of your life right in front of you. Don't push him to be involved, cultivate an interest so he will WANT TO BE involved.

That dump truck could almost be an heirloom. You've seen it from afar, now you and your son can get intimately familiar with it.
Great words, advice, and encouragement! Thank you!

My son is only (almost) 4, but he loves being out there with me and helping. Although he lacks the physical strength he needs for many procedures, I let him do all he can, such as wet oil filter seals, re-start the oil filters on the stems, replace drain plugs, etc. etc. He loves it, and he loves riding in this old '78. I can only imagine his excitement over this dump truck, if and when, running and dumping!

I do love old iron and putting life back into them. It's a great feeling. Not only that, for instance, the smile on my Granddaddy's face after driving the '78 again (which he hadn't drove daily since 1988) was very rewarding and made any amount of $$$ invested worth it. Although this Big F is a sort of heirloom, it will never be what Granddaddy's 1978 F150 is. This truck will be the work horse, and hopefully one, (as you mentioned), I could do some small jobs with, and yes -- another tool to teach my son about hard work and bartering, the value of a dollar and making a living. Options are endless if you know how to manage your funds, no matter what you make.

Thank you so much for your time! I would write more, but you and I see so eye-to-eye. =)

Local Class-8 dump trucks got $90/hour when fuel was still in the mid-$2's. I'm not sure if their rates have dropped. I day-dream a lot, and I know with this truck not being as efficient per-ton, there are many locals who don't want the weight of a tri-axle 75k pound loaded rig on their property. This truck, weighing say 5-tons empty, would be sought after by several I know who call on locals who have dumps to do other things to haul gravel, sand, etc.

If this truck were running and working, and with the 5-7mpg given by the previous gentleman, I figure $35-$40/hr for work would be a fair rate, if gasoline stays at these prices. No, I wouldn't make a living at this, but it would be enough to cover expenses, keep me as busy as I wished, and make a little side money. Although, again not as efficient as a Class 8 at $90/hour, it would have other advantages if a full, 25-ton load wasn't desired.

Time will tell, and we shall see. I haven't made it out there yet. We didn't have the break in the weather yesterday that was forecasted, but I will definitely keep y'all updated!

Thanks so much, again, each of you! =)

Old 01-24-2016, 03:26 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
It has nothing to do with this thread, but since you have '78 I just thought I would tell you about mine.

The truck is outlined in my signature. It was the first new vehicle that my wife and I ever bought. We took delivery the weekend before thanksgiving 1977. It has less than 100,000 miles, but much of that was less than a mile at a time feeding and seeing after cattle so it has seen a semi tough life. I retire in May and I am hoping to speed up my restoration project. I plan on putting it as close to the way it was when I took delivery right down to the dog dish hub caps. I have even found one of the original license plates, and hope to find the other. They can be used as antique plates here in Texas.

Thanks for listening.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:11 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Two speed--see post 5 for links. Note debate in post 6--imo go with what Eaton says. If yours will shift any old way, great. There is another thread here where a fellow got the "big bang" out of his---not shifting related, but they are not unbreakable:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

Wheels--by '72 the widowmaker issue was well known and people got away from them. But not everyone. Basic design for the Firestone job:

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/sca...owmaker_04.jpg

Post 4, video of split ring or lock ring type wheel. My dad did tons of these on the farm. Back breaking debilitating work.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...idowmaker-quot

Why many shops don't work on them. If you don't know how and don't have a cage, don't touch 'em. Do a simple search for dozens of "workers killed by tires" videos etc:

Old 01-24-2016, 04:25 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
I agree with 85e's warning. When in the army the guys changed these things with no cage, by putting the split rim down. They may have been different than the ones being talked about here but I was really glad that I had enough rank that others did them. It was indeed back breaking and potentially dangerous work.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Senior User
I apologize for the delay the past few weeks in responses. We've had two deaths in the family, one week apart, and it has consumed my time.

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
It has nothing to do with this thread, but since you have '78 I just thought I would tell you about mine.

The truck is outlined in my signature. It was the first new vehicle that my wife and I ever bought. We took delivery the weekend before thanksgiving 1977. It has less than 100,000 miles, but much of that was less than a mile at a time feeding and seeing after cattle so it has seen a semi tough life. I retire in May and I am hoping to speed up my restoration project. I plan on putting it as close to the way it was when I took delivery right down to the dog dish hub caps. I have even found one of the original license plates, and hope to find the other. They can be used as antique plates here in Texas.

Thanks for listening.
You're welcome! Great story!

I have all of the original paperwork where Granddaddy took delivery when new, but I don't recall the exact date. Before giving it to me, he had a terrible time finding the original title. He had a duplicate printed, and later gave me an old envelope which enclosed the original title. I have it stashed with the other original delivery stuff.

This '78 Ranger only had 94,118 original miles in July 2012 when I acquired it. I have almost 103k on it now. I just installed an NP435 over Christmas, after finding a complete donor truck in Kansas to get all of the manual cab parts off of. I kept the original C6 and truck cab components so it could be put back to original condition. These are sure-enough, good old trucks. =)

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Two speed--see post 5 for links. Note debate in post 6--imo go with what Eaton says. If yours will shift any old way, great. There is another thread here where a fellow got the "big bang" out of his---not shifting related, but they are not unbreakable:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1010258-two-speed-problems.html

Wheels--by '72 the widowmaker issue was well known and people got away from them. But not everyone. Basic design for the Firestone job:

http://www.fatfenderedtrucks.com/scans/widowmaker_04.jpg

Post 4, video of split ring or lock ring type wheel. My dad did tons of these on the farm. Back breaking debilitating work.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70308-Looking-for-the-specific-difference-between-quot-Split-Rings-quot-and-quot-Split-Rims-Widowmaker-quot

Why many shops don't work on them. If you don't know how and don't have a cage, don't touch 'em. Do a simple search for dozens of "workers killed by tires" videos etc:
Thank you for all of the information! Great stuff!

The two-speed rear sounds simple enough -- just a little older, more manual version of the split-gears on a 13, 15, 18, or 20 speed newer rig.

Wow @ that video! I had always heard of the dangers, but never thought of searching YouTube. Unk says he uses chains to secure the ring in such an event. He went on to say that he had five extra wheels and good tires in the hay barn for that old truck, but I still haven't gotten out there to see it.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Old Girl 54 f600
Freshman User
I bought a '77 C900 American LaFrance pumper for $800 with intention to convert into a dump truck. I've got $8k in it with final tweaks still to go to get it all operational. From a financial standpoint, it's a boondoggle. But its cheaper than therapy, i enjoy it, and I'm learning new things.

Trucks are just way more expensive to work on than cars/pickups. But if your son would work on it with you, it's an easy decision. But don't count it as a wise financial investment.