Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 PM
New User

1965-ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sway elimination in what order?

Hey guys - got my first X a couple of weeks ago after finally giving up on my 96 K2500 Suburban with a diesel with 300K. Love the new to me X so far and have learned a lot from the forum already.

Mine is an 01 Limited 4wd V10 with 179,000 miles bought from the original owner. It does have a noticeable wander / sway. The steering box does have some slop so I plan to adjust that first, but looking for input on where to proceed from there. I will be pulling a 26 ft travel trailer several times a year but other than that will just be our road trip vehicle.

The shocks are the originals so should I do those (thinking Rancho 9000s) or should I add the rear sway bar first?

Should both shocks and sway bar be done before I consider the spring swaps?

Just looking for a logical way to proceed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Probably ball joints, I wouldn't put a sway bar in it.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
Yes, check the front end first and take some slop out of the steering box. after that put in a rear sway bar. then go with some type of rear suspension improvement, such as F250 springs, airbags or Roadmaster Active suspension.

The Hellwig rear sway bar is a well known wandering fix as are F series springs. the Hellwig is the first thing I would do. it did wonders for my wandering X.

Enjoying Silver Lake Sand Dunes!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper View Post
Yes, check the front end first and take some slop out of the steering box. after that put in a rear sway bar. then go with some type of rear suspension improvement, such as F250 springs, airbags or Roadmaster Active suspension.

The Hellwig rear sway bar is a well known wandering fix as are F series springs. the Hellwig is the first thing I would do. it did wonders for my wandering X.

What he said.

Fix anything that needs fixing in the front. Rear sway bar made a big difference in my handling. I added the Roadmaster and didn't notice a difference in the handling or ride.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
You might want a sway bar if you tow, otherwise they are a waste.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
If your planning a spring swap for towing I would order the shocks for that since they are different lengths. If not several here have pointed out updating the front end ball joints, shocks, sway bar end links and bushings should greatly improve your ride. Addressing all the maintenance is the most important such as fluids, filters and such. Otherwise try it out and go from there, if you want more control add the sway bar or RAS as mentioned, several have used it with good results.

What is the weight of trailer you will be towing?

Welcome to FTE as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM
New User

1965-ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the replies so far. I will certainly verify the condition of all of the front end parts first before proceeding.

Camper is around 6000-6500 lbs loaded so it's not terribly heavy. That was why I was wondering if the upgraded springs were necessary. Was wondering if the shocks and sway bar would be sufficient.

Appreciate the input
Old 07-16-2014, 10:10 AM
FTEFCM 7

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
As Bently mentioned if doing the springs do them before shocks. I would work my way from front to back IMHO.
Mark aka FTEMaB #7

"Form never follows function; that is the folly and the vanity of theory"

(Rudolph)
http://vimeo.com/user25371657
Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Senior User

xplodn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds just like the situation I walked into last fall. Are you following me?

I got mine with 147k 4 days before a 6k mile trip towing my 6000lb trailer. Knew the front end was loose, needed tires, and general maintenance.

Got tires and did belt, hoses, fuel filter and full fluid flush of everything in the truck that week and headed out. Learned a lot on that trip.... Wish I had done more before it!

Got home and started working on it over the winter. Front end completely redone. Ball joints, shocks, brake pads and rotors, hub bearings, 100% steering joint replacement, tightened up steering box (needed very little) and sway bar bushings on the front. Huge improvement.

It towed decent and unloaded on the higway was great. I then set my eyes on towing upgrades. Added a 4.30 rear end, factory F250 rear sway bar, new rear brakes, and added a 31 row trans cooler. These upgrades combined with a 5star tune have really helped. I tows great in all conditions and I don't ever feelnlike I need more power. Its more me not wanting to wind it up too much and backing down.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior User

xplodn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got off track there. Go with the needed stuff first. Shocks, bushings, brakes etc before getting into modifications.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
As has already been said, address all the worn parts first then I would make a test tow run with your trailer as close to actual camping run conditions and weights as possible.
You trailer's length and weight are in the range of maybe needing suspension improvements or not, depending on how the combo works for you in the real world. Some EX's do well with that kind of weight, others not so much, higher weights almost always need something. I think that a rear sway bar will help the EX and TT behave on the raod along with your WD hitch (you are using a good WD hitch, right?).
All of my EX mods were an evolution to improve it's towing abilities and comfort, our last trailer was 31' and 9.5k lbs the new TT is 41' and 11k lbs. The current setup is very comfortable and capable on the road.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
You might want a sway bar if you tow, otherwise they are a waste.
To the OP, don't listen to this post, Brent is wrong.

Too many people (me included) have had very good results in helping tame the Excursion Wander by adding a Hellwig rear sway bar.

For most people (not all mind you) adding a Hellwig will help under all driving conditions, whether towing or not.

There is way too much proof-in-the-pudding that refutes the general statement of "unless you're towing, they are a waste" so please consider the Hellwig as a viable option for your problem solving inquiry.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence105 View Post
Fix anything that needs fixing
This is very important.

Make sure your "slate is clean" and you are modding/upgrading from a standpoint that all equipment (ball joints, tie rods, hubs, etc) are all working within spec.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
FTEFCM 7

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Too many people (me included) have had very good results in helping tame the Excursion Wander by adding a Hellwig rear sway bar.

For most people (not all mind you) adding a Hellwig will help under all driving conditions, whether towing or not.

There is way too much proof-in-the-pudding that refutes the general statement of "unless you're towing, they are a waste" so please consider the Hellwig as a viable option for your problem solving inquiry.

Stewart

Click the image to open in full size.
Mark aka FTEMaB #7

"Form never follows function; that is the folly and the vanity of theory"

(Rudolph)
http://vimeo.com/user25371657
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Elder User

jspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud ofjspence105 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post

Stewart

The hellwig is well worth installing. You will get tossed around a little more when you take the speed bumps on an angle. In my wife's opinion it made it drivable.
John FTEMaB #5

2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, Hellwig rear sway bar, 08 Towing Mirrors, Roadmaster Active Suspension, 6.0 Cooler, 3/8" Derale thermostat (Removed Transmission running too hot).
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Closed Thread