Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2014, 01:15 PM
New User

Klogsdon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Opinions Needed

Ford f-100 1974 240 straight 6

problems with starting and staying running. did all i could do and now have dropped it at the mechanic.

He is recommending new carb and timing.

Here is what i need help on, they are saying 8 hours labor ($800) and wont budge. I find that to be way too high. I know replacement of the carb is 15 minutes. I have taken it off and put it back on. price dows not include new carb. that is just labor.

what is general opinion on acceptable time frame to do timing and install and possibly tune carb.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to beholdHIO Silver is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klogsdon View Post
Ford f-100 1974 240 straight 6

problems with starting and staying running. did all i could do and now have dropped it at the mechanic.

He is recommending new carb and timing.

Here is what i need help on, they are saying 8 hours labor ($800) and wont budge. I find that to be way too high. I know replacement of the carb is 15 minutes. I have taken it off and put it back on. price dows not include new carb. that is just labor.

what is general opinion on acceptable time frame to do timing and install and possibly tune carb.
Find a different shop and mechanic... that's just plain highway robbery.

OR, as we generally recommend, avoid being a slave to a mechanic and rebuild the carb yourself. A $20 kit and a gallon of solvent gets it done. Make notes and take lots of pics during disassembly

Learn how to set the timing.. invest in yourself and it is knowledge that lasts a lifetime.

$0.05.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior User

slowrollerzcustoms is starting off with a positive reputation.
Killerwitherlan
buy a chilton manual and do it yourself buddy 30.00 manual is alot cheaper then getting ripped off by a shop
Elder User

hickory1991 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The mechanic is trying to tell you he doesn't want to work on it. Probably doesn't know how to do it either.
New User

i actually re-built the carb with the $20 kit. they are saying these carbs (carter 1barrel) are better to be replaced. i attempted the timing and thought its set. its $200 for a new carb and though i dont want to spend it, i will to have piece of mind and get this truck back on the road.

bottom line is i am still learning all of the pieces, spent about 6 months trying to solve this problem from electrical to fuel and finally decided to pay a professional. I have replaced fuel pump, coil, wires, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Senior User

Killerwitherlan
Tell that shop to kick rocks if you can rebuild it then do it. They are just trying to rip you off
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Postmaster

turbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud ofturbohunter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
invest in yourself and it is knowledge that lasts a lifetime.
Welcome.
That statement above is the key.
You will get help from the good folks here.

'08 Super Duty 6.4, '61 Unibody, '63 T-bird, '66 Mustang
'76 F750 Firetruck, '83 F150, '74 F-1004x4 shrtbx
And not enough time to drive 'em.
Marc
Be like Steve
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior User

Killerwitherlan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klogsdon View Post
i actually re-built the carb with the $20 kit. they are saying these carbs (carter 1barrel) are better to be replaced. i attempted the timing and thought its set. its $200 for a new carb and though i dont want to spend it, i will to have piece of mind and get this truck back on the road.

bottom line is i am still learning all of the pieces, spent about 6 months trying to solve this problem from electrical to fuel and finally decided to pay a professional. I have replaced fuel pump, coil, wires, etc, etc, etc.
Yeah but if you have a loose timing chain wont make a bit of difference not to mention that cam could have a worn lobe
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Posting Guru

Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.
Tuning a carb is simple if your spark plugs are new, gapped correctly. Wires are new, cap and rotor, distibutor. If you are getting good compression. Air filter is new. Fuel is flowing right with a good fuel pump.
But he is probably not going to do any of that stuff or check it. So he will tune it to the condition it is in and send you on your way.

I have learned, and screwed up everything at least once, from asking here. No reason you cant do the same.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM
New User

i have tried and tried and tried and actually had others take a look. I am lost on what is left. i appreciate all of the help/opinions. i figured it was fair to be in the 3 to 4 hours to replace carb, do timing, and tune carb if needed. if they wont budget looks like i will have the wrecker move it onto the next shop.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM
New User

side question.

how do you time a engine when it wont stay running more than a couple of seconds?

if there is a link anybody could provide, i am glad to read up.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Posting Guru

Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.
Klogsdon, why not take a moment and explain your situation?

I see you have made 3 threads, none of which seem to be asking for help on this truck.

If your truck will not stay running, and you have gotten a new fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb, you need to start at the carb and adjust it a bit until it is able to run.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM
New User

fair enough.

i got the starter problem fixed (previous thread). the auto parts store kept giving me one for a manual trans. got the proper one on and that solved that issue.

my other thread was on my f350.

Here is where i am at.

Truck is tough to start 95% of time, other 5% it fires up strong.

when it runs its very rough, sounds like starving for fuel or timing way off. only will runs for seconds.

when it fires and correctly, its strong. will run for 5 to 10 minutes before just dying out quickly, no sputtering.

i have replaced fuel pump, and filter
rebuilt carb. - soaked it, blew out everything, replaced every gasket, spring, needle that came with the kit.

replace coil, cap, wires, plugs (gapped them)

replaced starter and relay on firewall.

did my best attempt at timing and believe i had it set.

with all of this it is still a jekyl and hyde truck to me.

again, opinions and thoughts are apprecieated
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory1991 View Post
The mechanic is trying to tell you he doesn't want to work on it. Probably doesn't know how to do it either.
That was my very first thought!
If the "mechanic" insists it's going to take eight hours to do a 15 minute job then my next step would be to find a different mechanic.
What you should do though is, like others suggest, learn how to troubleshoot and repair these trucks yourself.
I did a quick search and the first one showed a rebuilt 1bbl Carter for the 300 was $168.00 plus core. You could buy four carburetors for what they want in just labor. That's almost criminal.
Timing generally is either right or wrong. It doesn't change on it's own, so if the truck runs good sometimes, I would say your timing is okay (I know, there are exceptions to what I just said).
Being a '74, does your truck have electronic ignition (optional) or points and condenser (standard)?
If it's electronic, consider the ECM might be bad. This was the first year Ford had electronic ignition and there were reliability problems with the control box. The '74 ECM is specific to that year and nothing else interchanges with it.
If you have points and condenser, have you changed them too? If not, the condenser could be bad. Check the points to see if they're burned. They should be gaped at .017"
These trucks are dirt simple, they can drive you crazy sometimes but that's half the fun of owning them. Regardless of whats wrong with them, its going to cost a lot less to repair than a late model truck.
Educate yourself, learn from your mistakes and have fun.
Most importantly, you can tell that "mechanic" to go pound salt!

EDIT: Just a personal observation. You'd be amazed at how many mechanics now days cannot do basic troubleshooting. If they can't plug in a scan tool and have the vehicle tell them what's wrong, they're lost.
Just my 2˘.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM
New User

Thanks Mike.

it does not have ECM. I had a buddy check the points since I haven't learned the good or bad with that as of yet and he said it was good.

I saw the cost on the carb and have decided to just to replace for piece of mind.

that is the crazy part for me. this engine couldnt get any simpler and is perfect for me to learn on, so this is driving me crazy.

i do know one thing, i wont pay for 8 hours labor for what i call a "tune up"
Old 07-15-2014, 03:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks