1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this an issue with my frame?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this an issue with my frame?

I have been considering lowering the front of my truck using Posie Dualflex springs and as I was looking at it again today trying to figure out what clearance issues I might run into I noticed that on the drivers side my leaf spring was only about 1-1/2 inches from the bump stop but on the passenger side it was closer to 2-1/4 inches. Also when measuring from floor to front fender at the center of the wheel there is a 3/4 inch difference side to side.

Is this normal due to weight difference from side to side or is this a sign that my frame is sprung or bent? The truck drives fine down the road but the difference I am seeing concerns me. As a relative newbie to these trucks and this type of project I was hoping for some advice from more knowledgeable folks on these forums as to how big of concern this is etc.

Passenger side

Drivers side

Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
looks like your drivers side spring pack is arched the wrong way. Could be worn out springs

Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
I can't say I've ever seen a Bonus Built with these second bumpers, could have been added ?? Note that it appears one leaf has already been replaced (square end vs. tapered). Time for new springs, I'd say.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2014, 01:05 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
looks like your drivers side spring pack is arched the wrong way. Could be worn out springs
That makes sense...now I am wondering why that thought did not occur to me when I was looking at it. Sometimes I over think and over complicate things.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:20 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
This is on your 55, right? Looks normal to me. I had the same question when I first got into these trucks. The springs aren't very arched on the mid-50's and the square taper on the one leaf is correct. Not saying they aren't beyond new but the only way to really know is to disassemble the spring pack and check for cracks, etc. If you are replace with posies you can't use the stock bumper anyway (if memory serves correct). Check with Mid50 and they can confirm that. I always think the driver side is "sprung" more is because it tends to carry more weight over it's life versus the passenger side.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it just me, the angle of the pictures... or is the drivers side shock compressed a LOT more than the passenger side? Could this be a combination spring and shock problem?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there were large sized people driving the truck over the past 6o or so years that can cause a drivers side slump

Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwi
I have been considering lowering the front of my truck using Posie Dualflex springs
Just something to ponder! If your springs are old and worn they may already be sagging. I've know several folks that have installed dropped springs and their ride either stayed the same of even got higher!!! Here's some info to maybe help you decide where your truck truly stands.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...%20Information

Old 07-15-2014, 02:21 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Originally Posted by teardropty
This is on your 55, right? Looks normal to me. I had the same question when I first got into these trucks. The springs aren't very arched on the mid-50's and the square taper on the one leaf is correct. Not saying they aren't beyond new but the only way to really know is to disassemble the spring pack and check for cracks, etc. If you are replace with posies you can't use the stock bumper anyway (if memory serves correct). Check with Mid50 and they can confirm that. I always think the driver side is "sprung" more is because it tends to carry more weight over it's life versus the passenger side.
It is on my 55. I have decided to go with MidFifty "short and smooth" lowering springs instead of the Posie dualflex. I am not going to do the down and forward version in an effort to avoid swapping out the oil pan on my 289 with some type of semi rear sump. I just spoke with Midfifty and they said the stock bumper stops will work fine with their springs. I anticipate not getting a full 3" drop from the current ride height just due to fact the existing springs already probably have some drop from age. I am hoping for about 1.5" drop when I am done. Doing that and lowering my rear by about 4" should give me the stance I am looking for and I suspect dramatically improve my ride. Currently the truck has stock leaf plus coil overload springs on the rear so I think it could haul more than what is safe before bottoming out.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:46 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
If there were large sized people driving the truck over the past 6o or so years that can cause a drivers side slump
And a skinny man with a fat wife will cause a passenger side slump.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Doc
And a skinny man with a fat wife will cause a passenger side slump.
I am neither a skinny man nor am I crazy enough to comment on what may or may not sit to the right of me..... just sayin'

Old 07-20-2014, 01:47 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Posie's dualflex on the front is a good choice. They work well on my '50 F2 and several others on here have used them also. Posie's make their own springs in a separate shop near Hummelstown, PA. The spring design employs modern metal design & heat treating techniques.

Whatever you do I would make sure that you remove the extra rubber snubber. That may be why your spring is sagging on one side.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's not an "extra" bumper, AFAIK they are stock on an F100. I have them on my 56. Personally I am not fond of the mono or dual leaf springs. Lots of reports of spring wrap up, unhappy users. Worn out spring eye bushings shackle pins can cause one side to sag.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:31 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
That's not an "extra" bumper, AFAIK they are stock on an F100. I have them on my 56. Personally I am not fond of the mono or dual leaf springs. Lots of reports of spring wrap up, unhappy users. Worn out spring eye bushings shackle pins can cause one side to sag.
I could see that on the rear which is probably why Posies doesn't make them for the rear. You have to go with SuperSliders. You are correct in some applications like the '67-69 Camaros which used that spring design in the rear. Big, powerful engines transferring torque to the rear did not help. But IMHO they should not be a problem using them in the front . . . unless it is a 4x4 MH . . .

Old 07-20-2014, 04:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I do know people who have put monos on the front and absolutely hated them. They can wrap on the front and chatter under braking same as rears do under acceleration just on the other end of the spring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this an issue with my frame?