6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

A Kick In The Nads..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The first thing to know about a 6.0.... use international or ford parts only. A trip to autozoo or the like is going to generate a repeat customer for lifetime warranty junk. These trucks are so electrically dependant it is rediculous and it makes them a real pita at times why cut corners with junk parts.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the fitting used to do the air test on all 6.0l engines through the ICP port use the M12X1.5 fitting correct and if so both ICP sensors in question would have to have the same thread size.
Yes. His guy is wrong on that one. Don't mean he's stupid or not knowledgable, it does however prove nobody is 100% correct 100% the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP is wrong on the ICP sensors. When I replaced mine a few months ago, I sent my wife down to the Ford dealer with the old part. The parts guy brought out both the new and old style ICP sensors. Both have the same thread. The only difference is the size of the sensor body. I am sure there are other differences, but to the common man and eye, I couldn't tell.

I had 3 folks tell me to get the later model one and I didn't out of fear of it not working. Wish I would have since it would have made the install easier!

To the OP.....The folks on this forum won't lead you down the wrong path. They have helped me in every situation I got myself into with this truck! That being said......keep tossing the hate and the help will dry up I can guarantee that.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman

The OP is wrong on the ICP sensors. When I replaced mine a few months ago, I sent my wife down to the Ford dealer with the old part. The parts guy brought out both the new and old style ICP sensors. Both have the same thread. The only difference is the size of the sensor body. I am sure there are other differences, but to the common man and eye, I couldn't tell.

I had 3 folks tell me to get the later model one and I didn't out of fear of it not working. Wish I would have since it would have made the install easier!

To the OP.....The folks on this forum won't lead you down the wrong path. They have helped me in every situation I got myself into with this truck! That being said......keep tossing the hate and the help will dry up I can guarantee that.
I wouldn't be in a 6.0 if it weren't for these guys

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
And to throw an almost TOTAL hijack into this thread, not only do the ICP sensors interchange just fine, the IPR valves will interchange just fine ALSO.

And lets don't mention that I'm STILL running my ORIGINAL ICP sensor on it's second (hybrid 03/04) motor, along with numerous other original electronics.

TO THE OP: We are ONLY here to help you. Some of the most knowledgeable people in the forum (Bismic, Cheezit, Rusty, Mustang and MANY others) have given you excellent advice. If it had been bad or wrong it would have been corrected quickly. We don't pull (or throw) punches, we just tell the truth.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If it walks like a duck,Quacks like a duck and even looks like a duck then
it must be a

The thread started out with troll like title. You ask for help then when it is given
by people that know this engine quite well. You spit it back at them.
To me and a lot of others this is what a troll does.

So yes I think your a troll. Go back under you bridge and sell that truck.

Sean

Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,711 Posts
I have to succumb a little to the temptation .....................

Some people should not own a 6.0L!

Knowing the engine intimately (or having a friend that does) is very important to having a positive experience! These forums are amazing, but if you are too hard headed to learn the truth, then you are destined for frustration and anger (and the OP seems to already be there). I like what Rusty said ....... "being wrong doesn't mean someone is stupid". However - ignoring the truth when confronted with it (ie catalinaflyer's earlier post) and alienating forum folks, well that may be a different story. The flip side of the learning process is ..... when you are wrong - admit it, accept it, don't repeat it, and move on. I doubt that any of that will happen here though.

That being said ............ I scrounged up a 2003 ICP and installed it in my truck (I didn't cross thread it either - lol). At the suggestion of Moe (cheezit), I am going to see if there is a possible upside to the install. More on this later!!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Now mark you just opened up a can. Hehe. Lets have some fun with this, why would one want to possibly put an 03 sensor in a late model truck?
No telling mark.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
......... and the answer is NOT - just to prove someone wrong. The rest of the forum folks did that very well!

Old 07-22-2014, 07:33 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
You two are looking for intelligent guesses (speculation), and this is not:

1) quicker reacting
2) allows for higher ICP (final fuel pressure at injector is higher)
3) ?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Interesting (and intelligent) thoughts Scott. What mechanism are you thinking might produce those benefits?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bismic
Interesting (and intelligent) thoughts Scott. What mechanism are you thinking might produce those benefits?
Later pump is both more efficient and capable of higher pressure without issue. Quicker reacting, is, well a guess... Something that could be advantageous if one had a more effective injection strategy let's say... (a quicker turning **** so to speak).

How far off am I...?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Well the icp just registers what the pump is putting out. The pumps pressure is set by engine rpm (its gear driven) and ipr (controled by the pcm).
Does that awnser your question or add more mystery?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
So the PCM gets more accurate or faster and accurate feedback on what it is asking the IPR to do. It is another **** to turn in the complex system that creates a high pressure pulse of fuel.

If we have to "wait" for ICP to come up, we can't pulse the injector at perhaps the most optimal pressure/width for what our intended purpose is. We could send potentially different pressure/width fuel pulses, maybe even within a revolution, given the electronics are far quicker than the hydraulics of the system...

I'm not sure what it would help with stock tuning... But maybe it could.

Am I getting colder? And how come nobody else is playing?! Are they worried of a:

Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Naa, were just lazy. he'll hopefully post the answer later and we can go Hmmm..and scratch our chin. Lol.

Quick Reply: A Kick In The Nads..