Sponsored by: Moser

2009 Blend door? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2009 Blend door? HELP!

HEEELP! got in the truck tonight and she is blowing nothing but cold out the drivers side but the passenger side works as advertised for temp settings. I have been trying to see if there is a self test mode like the earlier year trucks have to see if there is a code. She is dual zone climate/digital so its an EATC if I am not mistaken. I have tried power cycle, pulled and re-installed climate fuse after inspecting. Tried some of the earlier year self test button combinations to no avail. I did notice if I hit defrost a few times after hitting the power and defrost that the temps would go all 00 but I don't know if that is what I am looking for. I probably know my answer which includes tearing out the dash but I was hoping against hope someone might know how to proceed. Bought her with an aftermarket power train warranty so electronics are off the table for warranty. I know the stealership will charge out the rear to fix it too. All signs so far point to a blend door which is not good at all.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
blend door, so 2 choices:
-fix
-sell.
Good luck.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
well i was hoping someone might know if there was a self test mode like earlier year trucks to see if I could pinpoint. I already know its either fix/live with or sell.....

Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 PM
carguy94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
their is and should be on your truck. I am sorry if you are repeating your self hear have you done any work to the cooling system. and do you mean you have heat on one side.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
no have not done anything to my truck in a while and it was not cooling related. I have full control of passenger side but the drivers side is one temp (cool). I Did just make an observation on the way home from work that the flow through rear passenger vents temp stays at the same temp as the drivers side and does not adjust with the primary temp ****. I can use the drivers temp control and the passenger side works as advertised as well as passenger control for the dual climate but no change for the drivers side and rear passenger no matter if I am on defrost, dash, floor, etc.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM
carguy94
Senior User
sorry I did not get your last post. if you have absolutely no heat on the drivers side and heat on the passenger side front and rear passenger and no heat front rear driver then this suggests the actuator motor is not working weather or no the motor is at fault or what controls it could be the issue. do you want to run the diagnostic test sometimes you can have many issues that this test will not show it would be worth the time to do it before you rip in to the dash.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Yes I was hoping to try to run the diagnostic to try to narrow it down. Sorry, tried to explain that the drivers vents and the rear seat console vents stay the same temp which is cool (AC does work through these vents it seems) but no heat will come from them. The passenger front vents work just fine and the temps change as requested from hot to cold. I can switch both driver and passenger front vents to defrost,floor and panel but the temps wont change on the driver side. hopefully that explains it better.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 PM
carguy94
Senior User
The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present, the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.

If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.

If a condition exists, but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.

To exit the self-test and retain all DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the self-test and retain all DTCs.

To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the self-test and all DTCs will be cleared.

Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.

I found this for a 2007 model this should work for your year truck as long as you have this setup which I believe that you do. have you seen or tried this test procedure before.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo

This is what I got

Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 PM
carguy94
Senior User
like you said you have automatic climate control with digital display as shown in the picture. the test procedure should work for this type setup do you think you want to try it should be fairly simple.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
that picture above is what shows up after hitting the button sequence. it did the fan spool up for 20 seconds then displayed what was in the picture. then I hit auto to save and exit. left the truck running for 30 sec.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
carguy94
Senior User
thought I had posted but it did not do it. sounds like you have no trouble codes as it did not display them during the test is this what you did before.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
yeah it was. so back to square one.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 PM
carguy94
Senior User
well it was better to be sure than to take the wrong action. it is very common for the blend door actuators to fail. most of the time you just go ahead and replace the motor the next step would be to verify the blend door motor has control and if it does then that leaves the blend door or the actuator. these heater plenums do not use the older style blend door so it parts of the plenum and usually does not fail you must remove the dash board to do either repair. this job is not to bad takes less time than the older model pickups and I have never tried to access the left actuator other than pulling the dash and do not see it at all possible to get to but never tried to without removal. I am sorry the self test did not help but its a lot better than pulling the dash just to find out you made the wrong move.

would you like to test further or not again this is all to be sure you know what's wrong and have complete knowledge that what ever is done will fix it.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
What else can I do to test without ripping out the dash or send it somewhere to get fixed?

Quick Reply: 2009 Blend door? HELP!