Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Junior User

Tushy is starting off with a positive reputation.
mustang II ifs parts

Hi Guys,
I've got a mustang ii front suspension on my 56 f100.the lower arm shaft is broken and I need the replacement.it's a high tensile steel,could make some maybe but dont know what strength .anybody can help me with some idea where can I buy maybe?it's 5/8 thickness and 13 inch length.I need 2 in ASAP.cheersfor any help,Tushi
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Postmaster

jniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushy View Post
Hi Guys,
I've got a mustang ii front suspension on my 56 f100.the lower arm shaft is broken and I need the replacement.it's a high tensile steel,could make some maybe but dont know what strength .anybody can help me with some idea where can I buy maybe?it's 5/8 thickness and 13 inch length.I need 2 in ASAP.cheersfor any help,Tushi
first I wonder what broke a 5/8" steel bolt... something hit it way hard, right ?? what other damage was done ?? if the bolt sheared, surely the lower arm sustained some damage... The bolts can be found... Fastenal can order them... I'd check them online or they have a store in every county in the us... just get them to quote 13" grade 8 carbon steel bolts...

later
John
Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Given that the OP is in the UK I imagine that any recommendation for local US suppliers will be problematic. I would find the manufacturer of the IFS and file a complaint...as John said, there must have been something out of the ordinary happen to cause that sort of failure.

Not to be nit picky but for this application you would want a bolt with a high SHEAR modulus, not so much a high tensile. Tensile strength is measured along the axis of the bolt whereas shear is measured at a 90 degree angle to the axis. A cylinder head bolt needs high tensile strength since it is stretched along its axis...the lower control arm shaft experiences more of a shearing action at a 90 degree angle between the control arm and the mounting point(s) on the crossmember. I am not sure that this is the cause of the failure but sometimes my engineering background just jumps out...
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Junior User

Tushy is starting off with a positive reputation.
re

The reason why it's broken because I 've bought the truck as a project and suspension was already fitted.but I didnt relies they forget to weld the sleeve
with the bracket to the axle.and I took the car to paint and just broken.

I think I found a company who will make them.cheers guys.tushi
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Sounds like you have it solved, good luck with your truck!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM