Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Posting Guru

farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When you turn the key to the run position, do you get a wait to start light? If not, check the under hood fuse panel. Fuse #22 is a blue 30 amp fuse that powers the fuel heater and PCM. If it is blown, unhook the fuel heater and replace the fuse.
1997 F350 SRW Reg cab powerstroke 4.10, zf5spd 4X4, 3inch downpipe, 6637 mod, intercooler
1996 F350 Crewcab dually 4.10, E4OD, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
1996 F350 C&C Dually reg cab 4X4 flatbed Zf5 4.10, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Posting Guru

madMatador78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
gibby.1989 tombombadom tombombadom tombombadom
The OP did say he is getting a WTS in post # 2.
1978 AMC Matador Sedan 360 V8 Auto Torqeflite 727 not running right now, gonna pull the motor soon!
1971 AMC Ambassador Brogham, 360 V8 Auto, trans is back, ready to put in!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
New User

fordbox7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Batteries are on the older side, so going now to get them tested and if necessary get replacements. As MadMatador noted, yes im getting a wait to start light on the dash.

I just returned from the Ford dealer and purchased and installed an oem cps. I also put in an oem brand new fuel filter and made sure the bowl was nearly full. Based on the not start flow chart it states the engine needs 200 rpm to start so i hope changing the batteries will do so because with the current batteries its only hitting 120-150 rpm on crank.

I also tried unplugging the icp and that did not make any difference, still no start, still no smoke.

A few days ago i did check the hpop oil level and it seemed low so I added some, will the hpop being too low on oil make a difference ?

Thanks to all for your time !!!
Old 07-24-2014, 12:03 PM
New User

Both batteries tested fine with more than adequate CCA available so I'm going to rule the batteries out at this point.

It was starting fine previously to dying while I was driving. Seeing as it was starting fine I'm thinking that the batteries are fine.

I did purchase a fuel psi pressure so I will test the psi coming out of the bowl on crank and report those findings next.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Have you checked the tin nut on the IPR? Keep working through that flowchart and let us know where you end up.

Cranking you may only see about 20 PSI of fuel pressure, which should be more than sufficient to get it to start.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM
New User

Hello again, reinstalled batteries and thoroughly cleaned terminal posts, getting a much better connection now, I think I was only getting electricity from one battery bc the double terminal adapter was so corroded, all set now though so I'm sure I have good battery power.

I just performed a fuel pressure test with an actual fuel pressure gauge that I just purchased, $45 (ouch) but it was worth it to know. Tried the test 2 different times so I'm pretty sure it's not giving me anything.

Now that it appears there's is no fuel pressure what does everyone think about going ahead and replacing the fuel pump?

I already have an oem replacement and all new hoses so it should be too bad, I think I can get it out without removing the turbo...

Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbox7.3 View Post
A few days ago i did check the hpop oil level and it seemed low so I added some, will the hpop being too low on oil make a difference ?
It can get a little low with extended cranking. A little low will not make a difference, empty will.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & rad fan, MBRP 4", SD tensioner, AFE, 220 amp alt, 38G tank, soundproofed, 3 different TS chips
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 AM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
If you're sure the fuel pressure gauge is working and you're still not getting any pressure, then it sounds to me like a pump would be a logical next step. One last thing that might be worth a shot though would be to add 5 gallons of fuel to the tank. It's possible that the "shower head" (strainer) fell off the end of the pickup tube inside the fuel tank and you're just sucking air. I would recommend switching tanks, but I don't think you have dual tanks on an E series van do you? Throwing an extra $20 in fuel into it is a cheap test anyway.

If you do end up changing the pump, you will need either a 1 1/4" socket or wrench to get the banjo bolt out of the back of the pump. The pump can be removed with the turbo in place, or at least it can be on a pickup. I can't say for sure what it's like on a van.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM
New User

Hi DIY, upon cranking the engine over the fuel bowl does fill up so does that rule out the need to try putting more fuel in the tank as a test? It's nearly full anyways, and yes there is only 1 tank on the truck.

Any suggestions on how I can test the fuel pressure gauge to know if it's definitely working or not? Is there a method for testing the Schrader valve another way to see if fuel is available there?

In terms of the banjo bolt on the pump, does that have to be removed before removal of the pump from the block?

Also do you know anything about the functionality of the pump itself? It appears there is an intake from the fuel tank, then another line to the middle of the fuel bowl, and then a third line going to the bottom of the fuel bowl, does anyone know what the functions of the 3 different lines are?

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Post Fiend

Most of your questions revolev around the fact that the fuel pump you are seeing there on the engine is a two stage pump. There are actually 4 inlet/outlets on the pump if you count the banjo bolt as one. One on the bottom, two in the middle facing forward, and the banjo bolt out the back. The way the pump works is that there is a smalle diaphram pump in the pump that pulls the fuel from the tank, then pumps it through the filter (inlet and outlet 1, if you will) at around 5-7 PSI (low pressure side of the pump) and then the fuel returns from the filter and goes into the higher pressure plunger portion of the pump, where it is pressurized to about 70 PSI and pumped into the fuel galleries in the heads (at the higher pressure that the pump can create). The fuel pressure is regulated by the FPR which actually is on the return side of the heads and bleeds excess fuel back into the system to maintain the correct pressure.

Here is a link to a picture if that makes it any easier to understand. Sorry the site won't let me attach the picture directly for some dumb reason.

So to answer your more direct questions, yes the banjo bolt has to come out before you pull the pump from the block. In fact, the best way to remove it to avoid the little tappet falling out of the pump and into the engine is to remove everything from the pump and then turn the engine over by hand until the pump pushes up off the block. Then you can pull it up and out.

And also, yes, there is a chance that the low pressure part of the pump is working and filling the fuel filter housing, but the piston side of the pump is bad and can't build pressure thorough the heads.

That's a long, answer for a small question...

Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Posting Guru

IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.IDMooseMan has a good reputation on FTE.
IDMooseMan Craig Peters
Excellent explanation Nate. That helps increase my knowledge-base as well. I'll be replacing my fuel pump on Wednesday, with the help of a friend. Reps sent.

Here's my attempt at attaching your picture:
Click the image to open in full size.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters - Slackmaster #27, Big BSer #4, 1997 F-350 XLT 4x4 CCLB E4OD 4.10:1
VP BSU Veterans Club
, USAF SSgt 1983-1992, NAHC Life Member, RIP Gideon 3/14/2011-Go play
To those that have served, Thank You. To those that haven't served, You're Welcome.
Fraternal Order of Blue Max

Last edited by IDMooseMan; 07-26-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added reputation (Reps) points.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 PM
New User

Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses and the insight into my situation. I got introduced to a friend of a friend who works on psd's. He came over tonight when his scanner and was able to pull some codes.

He got a few different codes but the ones that he said were noteworthy were

& 1298

In his opinion all signs point to a bad IDM. We removed the IDM and while it was damp in the outside and very dirty there didn't appear to be any water in the casing that we could hear when shaking it.

Does anyone have a method of testing or ohming out the IDM to ensure that it's faulty before spending $400plus on a new one?

If that's what it is I'm happy to pay that but if just like to have some opinions beforehand.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

oldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to alloldbird1965 is a name known to all
Can you borrow one and try it on your truck? Or, better yet, try yours on another truck?
I can tell you for sure, don't pay $400, look on ebay or something.
The Mare 97 dually cc, s366 turbo, stage II's, IC, studs, springs, rods, JW auto, 4:10 LS, efuel, FS2500 bypass oil filter, HVHF IDM, IH WP, 6.0 trans cooler & rad fan, MBRP 4", SD tensioner, AFE, 220 amp alt, 38G tank, soundproofed, 3 different TS chips
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Senior User

The other Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic View Post
Most of your questions revolev around the fact that the fuel pump you are seeing there on the engine is a two stage pump. There are actually 4 inlet/outlets on the pump if you count the banjo bolt as one. One on the bottom, two in the middle facing forward, and the banjo bolt out the back. The way the pump works is that there is a smalle diaphram pump in the pump that pulls the fuel from the tank, then pumps it through the filter (inlet and outlet 1, if you will) at around 5-7 PSI (low pressure side of the pump) and then the fuel returns from the filter and goes into the higher pressure plunger portion of the pump, where it is pressurized to about 70 PSI and pumped into the fuel galleries in the heads (at the higher pressure that the pump can create). The fuel pressure is regulated by the FPR which actually is on the return side of the heads and bleeds excess fuel back into the system to maintain the correct pressure.

Here is a link to a picture if that makes it any easier to understand. Sorry the site won't let me attach the picture directly for some dumb reason.

So to answer your more direct questions, yes the banjo bolt has to come out before you pull the pump from the block. In fact, the best way to remove it to avoid the little tappet falling out of the pump and into the engine is to remove everything from the pump and then turn the engine over by hand until the pump pushes up off the block. Then you can pull it up and out.

And also, yes, there is a chance that the low pressure part of the pump is working and filling the fuel filter housing, but the piston side of the pump is bad and can't build pressure thorough the heads.

That's a long, answer for a small question...

Awesome explanation. I'm sure this helps a lot of us novice diesel guys.

To the op, if your IDM is bad, there is a place in Florida, forget the name at the moment. They are a big rebuild place. I paid in the 150? Range 2-3 years ago.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel