Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trails in Illinois?

Old 07-30-2002, 06:12 PM
blueoval79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trails in Illinois?

I live in Northern Illinois. Does anybody know of any trails in this area.

Old 07-30-2002, 07:42 PM
The Man
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

I live down here in Edwardsville/Collinsville about 20Mi from St, Louis and i cant find a Thing.

I go to St. joe in MO every once in a While but only with my ATV, Its not that Big for a Truck...You would have to stay on the Sand Flats.

Anyone????

Old 07-31-2002, 05:15 PM
prepmech
Freshman User
trails in Illinois?

I am an automotive technology student at SIUC, and have a real problem skipping class to go wheeling. There are tons of trails in the Shawnee National Forrest. You can find anything from mud holes, to rock bottomed creeks, and tons of hills. There are a few OHV (off highway vehicle) areas that are just getting started due to recent grants from the government. Another somewhat close place to try is the "Badlands" in Attica Indiana. Never been there, but hear they have dunes, trails, creeks, and even a large drainage tube you can drive through that drops off into a pool of water.

Prepmech

Old 07-31-2002, 08:05 PM
The Man
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

SIU is one Hell of a Nice University, My Mother works at SIUE in part with DCFS and its been nothing but good to her.

Would you say there are some good Places to ride at
Shawnee National Forrest for a Truck w/o any Lift, I just want to get Muddy....Thats all.

Old 07-31-2002, 08:42 PM
prepmech
Freshman User
trails in Illinois?

There are a few trails in Union county that run right along the big muddy river. They go down to the river bottoms, plenty of mud there.

My truck is a '91 F150, reg. cab, long bed, with no lift.
There are plenty of trails that have been a lot of fun taking it on.
There are also a lot of trails that I wouldn't even think of taking my truck on.

Old 07-31-2002, 09:51 PM
blueoval79
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

Yeah, i haven't found a single place around here. I live 35 miles south of Chicago. Indiana might be too far of a haul with Ol' Blue. Anyone know any around Joliet, IL?

Old 08-03-2002, 05:18 PM
deere81
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

I also go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. My major is Ag Mechanization. I have found some nice offroading spots south of Anna,IL. There are lots of hills and valleys.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:13 PM
mud ranger
New User
trails in Illinois?

I LIVE IN PALATINE IL THERE IS ABOUT 3 TRAILS I KNOW THAT ARE IN THE AREA, ARE THEY LEGAL? LETS JUST SAY THEY ARE, I NEVER GET BOTHERED THERE. THE TRAIL HAS SOME BIG BOULDERS, HILL ,WOOPS, MUDPITS WALLS LAKES TO DRIVE THROUGH, AND RUTS THAT YOU CANT IMAGIN. I USUALLY GO OUT THERE BY MY SELF JUST BECAUSE THERE IS JEEPS AND OTHERE TRUCKS OUT THERE TO HELP YOU IF YOU GET INTO TROUBLE, FOR MORE INFO ON IT EMAIL ME. A COUPLE MORE IN ELGIN AND BLOOMINGDALE.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
HD61cuin
Junior User
trails in Illinois?

I have heard about a mudhole area near the Ford plant over off Torrence? I heard of a spot off the Wolf river area, you can run parallel to the river. I have heard the same about the Cal Sag area. There are some trails that run parallel to the Cal Sag they are owned by Metropolitan Water Dist. If caught just be polite and hopefully you were not found doing something stupid and the MWRD police will most likely let you go without calling PD. I will have to look around though for more info. I go wheeling just not in my F250 that is just my plow truck.
Check out:
www.onandoffroad.com
www.chicago4x4.com

There are a few posts on these sites related to IL "illegal" areas to run. There is a spot in Elgin that I heard there were people wheeling until one day 30 tickets were issued. So just remember there are very few legal spots

Will
Alsip, IL
86 F250 4x4 351W
97 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC
99 Jeep Sahara 4x4 4.0 I-6

Old 09-24-2002, 02:18 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
trails in Illinois?

Greetings neighbors!

I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question, but there are some great places here in WI to go wheelin'. They're in the Crivitz area so they're pretty far(3.5 hours north of Milwaukee). One of them is a campground connected to hundreds of acres of trails. The other is the Pipeline which can be acessed 3 miles from the campground. Because it's publicly owned land, you can camp along it as well. Both places have everything from easy trails and mud holes to rock climbs and really deep mud.

This past weekend was my first time on the pipeline but 3rd time at the campground. What a blast!

Even though it's not close enough for a one-day trail ride, it does make a great weekend outing.

Check out my "pipeline" gallery and my link to the rest of the pix from the weekend.

I can get you all kinds of info on both places IYI.

Kevin K.

Old 09-24-2002, 09:09 PM
SplashMan
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

Your choices in ILL are very limited... there are a couple trails that are run by Iron Hourse 4x4 club and the Praire State 4wd Club but they are private property and you have to be a member of the club to run them. There are no legal areas that I know of. ILL is one of those states that frowns on offroading with full sized vehicles. The Badlands in Attica IN is they best place to go and is only a 3 hour drive from Chicago... the Pipeline in Wis is also a great place, but is a good 5hour drive from Chicago...

Old 09-24-2002, 11:53 PM
HD61cuin
Junior User
trails in Illinois?

BRIAN, U DOG HOW THE HELL ARE YA, ITS WILL!!! How are things going you here too huh? Well since we last got together I have gotten quite a few more vehicles as you can see below. I see you do too, how is that Bronco working out? I have been to the Badlands 2 more times since we all went. I drove down with Pinoy, and lost him there trying to get my Jeep buds to the area we were going ( green trail off quarry ). So that group trip turned into a disaster. One of our Jeeps that day rolled, one tipped, and one sunk into some baaad mudhole. I went another time after that, things went better. I am planning another run in October, that will be my last one for the year. Keep in touch

Will
Alsip, IL
86 F250 4x4 351W
97 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC
99 Jeep Sahara 4x4 4.0 I-6

Old 09-26-2002, 06:26 AM
SplashMan
Senior User
trails in Illinois?

Cool, B2 is working good... I am switching from the 34x9.5R15 TSLs to a set of 33x12.5R15 Grabbers like I have on the Explorer though. The TSLs are just too narrow and I like the grabbers for all around performance better anyway... depending on when you go in Oct, drop me a line. I way be able to swing down for the day.

Old 09-26-2002, 04:58 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
trails in Illinois?

>Yeah, i haven't found a single place around here. I live 35
>miles south of Chicago. Indiana might be too far of a haul
>with Ol' Blue. Anyone know any around Joliet, IL?

You might give the Joliet [Link:www.mudturtles4x4.rocks.it|Joliet Mud Turtles] a call!

Old 09-26-2002, 08:17 PM
ford 4
New User
trails in Illinois?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trails in Illinois?