Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM
New User

1999er is starting off with a positive reputation.
'99 SD Tailgate Latch/Lock Problem

Hello everyone,

Since I received some great advice on my last Power Stroke repair issue, here's another for you...

After much searching I was able to locate an acceptable replacement tailgate for my '99 F-250 long bed (the original tailgate was banged up several years ago; I salvaged the lock cylinder out of it prior to disposal).

The replacement tailgate is from a '99 F-150, but everyone said that they're interchangeable, which seems to be the case.

The latch handle that came with it didn't have the lock option, so I had to obtain an OEM latch handle that would accept my original tailgate's lock cylinder (matched locks all around).

Then, I found out that I needed the plastic, slotted insert/sleeve that fits in the right-hand hinge "cup" of the tailgate, that the slotted tongue on the right-hand side of the truck bed slips into, when installing the tailgate. Luckily, the local Ford dealership's parts dept was a source for one of these. It came with a shim washer which I went ahead and placed behind the plastic, slotted insert/sleeve, when I snapped it into the cup hinge of the tailgate.

So, I've installed the lock cylinder and latch handle in the new ("recycled") tailgate, and have the tailgate on the back of the truck.

But, here's the problem:

I can't seem to lock the tailgate.

There's a lever arm off the rear of the lock cylinder that doesn't engage any of the latch mechanism within the tailgate (see photo, below).

What I don't understand is, how does the lock work, and is there a need to adjust the tailgate (shim/no shim, adjust latch rods, etc)?

Click the image to open in full size.

'99 SD Tailgate Latch Mechanism with Lock Cylinder.

The first time I tried the lock, the tailgate latch handle would always open the tailgate easily. Then, I removed the latch handle assembly from the tailgate and reinstalled it, only to find that I could only get the tailgate open when I stood up on the rear bumper and lifted up on the latch handle, apparently lifting the tailgate slightly, allowing it to unlatch and swing open.

So, either way, it still appears that the lock doesn't function.

And, again, I can't figure out how the lock interfaces with the latch mechanism within the tailgate, allowing it to lock and unlock.

Naturally, I'm doing all this without a service manual, and I don't have the original tailgate to use as a reference...

Any advice on how the lock functions, and how to adjust the tailgate's latch mechansim, if necessary, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1999er
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM
New User

I'd really appreciate it if someone could look at their service manual, or at their tailgate's lock mechanism, and compare it to the photo I have in my earlier post.

I really need to solve this. A locking tailgate is a requirement these days.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
New User

rockcrusher 24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
tailgate lock

looks like you have a piece missing,mine has a plastic triangle piece that comes off that long lever and slips over the back of the lock.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
You might try an online ford parts store to see if their catalog has pics ???
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/auto-parts

Maybe some of these links will help ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=1999...x-a&channel=sb

or youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ock+replacment

good luck !
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrusher 24 View Post
looks like you have a piece missing,mine has a plastic triangle piece that comes off that long lever and slips over the back of the lock.
Okay, that's something I can investigate. I'll check with the parts dept at my local Ford dealership (as a starting point). Thanks, Rockcrusher 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr View Post
You might try an online ford parts store to see if their catalog has pics ???
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/auto-parts
I've already used YouTube. The video clip about changing out the tailgate's latch handle glossed over the lock cylinder replacement, only showing the tech installing the lock cylinder into the handle, but not how the lever arm on the back of the lock interfaces with the latch mechanism.

The online Ford parts diagrams didn't have enough detail to help me (but thanks for the suggestion).

Also, I've investigated the Pop & Lock add-on lock, but don't understand how it functions either. I'm so close to solving this with the components I already have, and don't want to backtrack.

I think Rockcrusher 24's comment about a missing triangular piece is my next idea to pursue.

Thanks, guys!

(I wish I could have held on to the old tailgate... for reference and small parts.)
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM
New User

Success!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrusher 24 View Post
Yep, you were right, Rockcrusher24.

I went to the Ford parts dept and was able to determine that there are two diffent tailgate latch control assemblies. Here's a photo of them:

Click the image to open in full size.

These are the latch control assemblies that interface with the rods that operate the latches on both sides of the tailgate. The one on the left is the one that came with the non-lockable tailgate, and the one I replaced it with, that interfaces with the lock cylinder, is on the right. Note the black plastic triangular piece. The level arm on the rear of the lock cylinder fits within the open area of this triangular piece.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Regards,

1999er
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty