Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 11:00 AM
New User

53Mercdriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
HELP!!!!

So I changed the oil, started it up, all good, sun is low in the sky ahhh time for an evening cruise.
53 Merc M100, close the hood NEVER slammed! Had a nice ride time to put her away....
Wont start in the drive way, go to open the hood and neither hood latch is working?????? how the hell do I open the hood!!!!

ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Put flat bar under hood pry up while operating latch?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Elder User

1oldtimer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maybe try to push down on the hood nose while operating the latch. Does it feel like the hood latch is opening all the way?.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:01 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
Put flat bar under hood pry up while operating latch?
I appreciate the "fix" advice, it didn't budge! hood it tightly fixed. I looked all around it hasn't shifted or anything, latches are tight as usual. I'm just stumped !
Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldtimer View Post
Maybe try to push down on the hood nose while operating the latch. Does it feel like the hood latch is opening all the way?.
Unfortunately the hood is fixed in place nothing seems outa place or loose?!!! and you cant get your head up there to have a look. Both latches seem fine as well.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Try pushing backwards on the front of the hood while releasing the lever. (Don't dent your hood!)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Try pushing backwards on the front of the hood while releasing the lever. (Don't dent your hood!)
You might also try pushing down on both sides of the hood at the cowl. If it's up the least bit it will push the hood forward.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Senior User

Aus56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Aus56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My hood was closed too hard the last time it was at my mechanics. Pushing, pulling, prying with screwdriver didn't do any good. In the end they said they pretty much ended up pulling the grille out to get to it. It has a center grille support which obstructed prying with a screwdriver, and the top bolt of that support was hard to get to with the hood down, making it hard to remove the support to clear the area for prying. I hope you have better luck.
My old girl has the original look, which I do love. I would like to customise the body of my truck, but don't have the nerve to pull it apart for a significant custom rebuild. Long live the darkside and those with the courage to travel there.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am not sure how your latch works, but the same thing happened on my 50. The floating alignment/guide pin (with the large spring around it) that comes out of the cowl that the hood latch goes in moved slightly to the side as I closed it, going past the actual latch lever and hooked the arrow-shaped top of the pin in the latch guide hole. Basically I had to work a large flat bladed screwdriver in and push the large guide pin to the side, which allowed it to move and release.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
I am not sure how your latch works, but the same thing happened on my 50. The floating alignment/guide pin (with the large spring around it) that comes out of the cowl that the hood latch goes in moved slightly to the side as I closed it, going past the actual latch lever and hooked the arrow-shaped top of the pin in the latch guide hole. Basically I had to work a large flat bladed screwdriver in and push the large guide pin to the side, which allowed it to move and release.
OH!!!
well I have my work cut out for me then. As I prev posted the hood is tight, no play anywhere, so its gotta be grabbing on something somewhere, I will give it a shot may take a while, but thx. I believe, well I've been told other then the few lights odds and sods my merc m100 is directly swappable in parts to the F100 so I hope this is the issue.
Again THX!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus56 View Post
My hood was closed too hard the last time it was at my mechanics. Pushing, pulling, prying with screwdriver didn't do any good. In the end they said they pretty much ended up pulling the grille out to get to it. It has a center grille support which obstructed prying with a screwdriver, and the top bolt of that support was hard to get to with the hood down, making it hard to remove the support to clear the area for prying. I hope you have better luck.
Appreciate the insight, I will have a big look around and see whats what.
Im really new to the old scene, I love it but its very frustrating some times!!!!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
When mine did the same thing (I posted earlier), it was jammed hard too - no movement anywhere. I tried a lot of shaking/pulling/etc. After an hour of head scratching and shaking, I found the overtravel problem (luckily my 50 has the two large holes in the front of the hood for access. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks