Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
Awful transmission clunk from Park

... it clunks real bad at random times. Whether I have had the e-brake on or not (sometimes even with it on, so I have not put any load on the locking mechanism in the tranny).

Its a 2014... anyone else get this? Does not matter if its inclined ground or flat.

Sucks that it does this for the extreme amounts of money they charge. My 08 F350 V10 it replaces never once clunked.
"The next time some actor or rock star tells you what to think, tell them to **** off." - Dennis DeYoung
Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Senior User

Averill7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My guess would be to take in to a dealership and have them take a look at the shift solenoids. My 2011 did this several years ago and they found several faulty shift solenoids. After the fix, all the gears shifted better and the reverse clunk was gone and hasn't come back in 30 - 40k miles.
2011 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 PSD, LongBed, 4x4, 3.55, Loaded, EpicDoorSealMod, Bilstein 5100's and stabilizer,Spray Liner, 20's Michelin LTX m/s2, 2013 jayco eagle premier 41ft 14k fifth wheel, Firestone 2535 airbags. Readylift antiwobble trac bar and procomp dual steering stabilizers to eliminate the death wobble events.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Posting Guru

Big-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to beholdBig-Foot is a splendid one to behold
When was the last time the slip joint in the driveshaft was lubricated?

When you stop the truck and set the parking brake, put it in neutral first, then set the brake, then shift into park. This will leave the transmission totally unloaded and there should be very little if any tension ob the park pawl.

1999 F250 Lariat SuperCab 4x4 v10 $old
2015 F350 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 DRW 6.7L/409CID PSD Bronze Fire Metallic over Caribou
Rage'n Stryker 5th wheel Toy Hauler - Arctic Cat Wildcat XT SxS
Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Freshman User

Glittle is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 12 did this real bad and my 14 does it too. Really annoying to have a $60K truck that clunks so loud that people look to see if you just hit something. It does it on flat ground and is really bad when on an incline. Using the neutral first method on flat ground helps some, but doesn't cure it 100%. On an incline, neutral, parking brake as hard as possible, and then into park helps some. I don't feel like I should have to do this, but I don't think there is a fix...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Postmaster

kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Does it do it if you engage the e-brake first?
If you put it in park, apply the e-brake and then release the service brake, it still moves slightly and the parking pawl seems to take some of the load.

My 2011 does this so I learned if I always shift to neutral, apply e-brake, release service brake so the e-brake takes the load and then shift to park, it prevents that awful clunk. Even this process is quick.
Mine will clunk if the e-brake doesn't have the load first.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of69cj has much to be proud of
Sounds like the slip joint to me. That's the easiest and cheapest thing to address before going any further. While the drive shaft is apart you can also check your u joints.
2007 FHLP H.D. Road King
2007 Thor Jazz 5er, 11k dry weight, 31'
173rd Abn. RVN.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kper05 View Post
Does it do it if you engage the e-brake first?
If you put it in park, apply the e-brake and then release the service brake, it still moves slightly and the parking pawl seems to take some of the load.

My 2011 does this so I learned if I always shift to neutral, apply e-brake, release service brake so the e-brake takes the load and then shift to park, it prevents that awful clunk. Even this process is quick.
Mine will clunk if the e-brake doesn't have the load first.
I use the neutral, e-brake, shift to park method to lessen the chance of the clunk. I just don't think I should have to fumble around with shifting to neutral every time I want to park the truck.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
Sounds like the slip joint to me. That's the easiest and cheapest thing to address before going any further. While the drive shaft is apart you can also check your u joints.
Trucks do it brand new off the lot. It seems as if the driveline is bound up when shifting from park to reverse or drive.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

WhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant futureWhlM1 has a brilliant future
It is not a slipjoint... absolutely in the tranny. Almost tough to shift from P out, and you can feel it in the shifter.

Only 5k miles on it, so it should not be doing this...

Does it more with the e-brake being used, which is the weirdest part. Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it. For the money, it should be perfect.
"The next time some actor or rock star tells you what to think, tell them to **** off." - Dennis DeYoung
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhlM1 View Post
It is not a slipjoint... absolutely in the tranny. Almost tough to shift from P out, and you can feel it in the shifter.

Only 5k miles on it, so it should not be doing this...

Does it more with the e-brake being used, which is the weirdest part. Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it. For the money, it should be perfect.
Please post back what they tell you. I'm interested before I waste my time with the dealer myself.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Official Ford Rep

FordService is a name known to allFordService is a name known to allFordService is a name known to allFordService is a name known to allFordService is a name known to allFordService is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhlM1 View Post
... Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it...
Good idea, WhlM1. Send me a PM when you're ready to head into the dealership and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Internet Brands

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Likewise, mine makes the same noise too. Let us know what the dealer says Rich!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Freshman User

Rich - Resurrecting an old one to see what the dealer told you. I am thinking of taking mine in if they have a solution to fix the clunking.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Freshman User

2015F350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittle View Post
Rich - Resurrecting an old one to see what the dealer told you. I am thinking of taking mine in if they have a solution to fix the clunking.
Hi Everyone,
I have this same issue with my 2015 F350. When I shift from park to drive it makes a clunk sound and feels like the brake is holding the truck(Only does it on an incline). Then it will surge forward. Had it towed to the dealer because I didn't want to damage anything further. I Felt stupid when the dealer told me they could find nothing wrong. They said it is Normal to pause before engaging into drive. They said it has a hill assist to keep the truck from rolling back when going from the brake to the gas pedal. To me seems to long or I'm too fast. Anyway I'm not satisfied with the way it is so I'm going to check another dealer.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 AM
New User

Mark Von Achen is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive been having the same issue, i will try this tomorrow thx
Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 AM