Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
An interesting suspension arrangement

found this cruising craigslist. Wonder how that thing rides and handles.

1949 Ford F1 Rat Rod Project
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
What an abortion. I believe I am being kind. I am amazed that someone will put new tires on a project that is no where near road worthy.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Senior User

mgargiullo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd give him $500 and he can keep the tires. Whoever setup that front end should have their tools taken from them before they hurt themselves.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all
I see about 12 laws of automobile physics being broken
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I highly doubt it would ever drive or handle safely. There is too much wrong with that to even give it semi-credibility by criticizing or discussing it. Looks like they simply turned the chassis upside down!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
New meaning to the term "axle flip"..........

The word "deathtrap" also comes to mind.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
There are a few guys that do a lot of engineering and spend a lot of time, money, and effort to get their Rat Rod's suspension geometry "Right". Then there are the other 98%. Guess which category this one falls under.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Senior User

Giesterfarher™ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like all he did was turn the frame upside down and mount the cab on it. If so, it's salvageable.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n491/Giesterfarher/rsz_truck.jpg
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesterfarher™ View Post
Looks like all he did was turn the frame upside down and mount the cab on it. If so, it's salvageable.
Looks like they did re-stack the spring packs. I wonder if they bent the axle and flipped the spindles right side up to correct the camber angle?

Never mind. I can see in the pic the tie rod arms are on top.
Attached Images

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
What's sad is that there are two other cars/trucks in the background, undoubtedly waiting for similar treatment...
Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Posting Guru

theGman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just when you thought you'd seen it all...
Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
The frame isn't flipped, just the entire front suspension.....including the spring hangers.
The builder obviously has no clue about scrub lines, kingpin inclination, ackerman angle, scrub radius, etc, etc. Or just wanted to look "kool".

Hopefully someone doesn't buy that and try to put it on the street like it is......
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I can't quite get my head around it, but wouldn't the steering be reversed now?
Old 07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
FTE fan

underthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud ofunderthebridgejim has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
The frame isn't flipped, just the entire front suspension.....including the spring hangers.
The builder obviously has no clue about scrub lines, kingpin inclination, ackerman angle, scrub radius, etc, etc. Or just wanted to look "kool".

Hopefully someone doesn't buy that and try to put it on the street like it is......
Scott, I have never herd of most of those things you just mentioned, but one dosn't need to, too know that thing is just wrong, and unsafe. The one good thing about this rat rod is, because of it being posted, now I will look up, what scrub lines, scrub radius, and ackerman angles are. I always learn something when I log in to "The University of FTE"
Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I can't quite get my head around it, but wouldn't the steering be reversed now?
No, the drag link pushing the arm away will still result in the wheels steering to the left.

The problem is it's now a foot above the steering box. Talk about bump steer.

If you flipped the pitman arm to make up for the flipped axle, that would reverse the steering.

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 AM