1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

steering column

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by lilrobo
They had one for 230$ most of there other parts are borgson or ididit the wheels are grant and linkage is locar,, , looks like i can order the cloumn andi will need to wait on drop until i get it in and see what fits best, , i could base it on what i have now, i guess knowing its going to be a tilt and a 15, , now will the 15 in wheel steer less turns than the large, , i know it will be a little harder ?

Thanks
The number of turns is determined by the steering gear box/or rack and pinion. (whichever you have) so it will remain the same. A smaller wheel will be harder to turn (less leverage) but your hands will move less distance (smaller circumference).

Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right its like driving a school bus now, , so it will be better i hope, now i did add washers to lower the pressure, if i up the pressure back would that help?
Thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
i don't think you will need/want to change the pressure, but it's always an option/advantage of the Saginaw pump. Tilting the wheel more upright will eliminate much of the school bus feel.
i figured that with the 3.5" drop I could always add a spacer if I wanted it longer. Watch the column shaft diameter you may need a new U-joint.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
good info ax , i need to check and see what i got from midfiftys withe kit i bought ,, i did add washers when i was trying to lower the pressure to stop the noise
thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 04:21 PM
lilrobo
Senior User
hey ax
i got around to measure my column i have now here are some pics ,
the first one i have the end of tape at the end of shaft ,
what you think i need as far as length?
my drop is close to 4" now and ist about straight , i was thinking go with a 30 and a 3 drop and i dont know about the wheel maybe 3" ?
thanks

Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
can someone add to this ??

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Shorter drop will bring you back towards the school bus position, but you could always put a spacer between the dash and drop to make it longer. Stock column is ~ 32", but that is with no SW adapter or dish in the wheel plus the OEM wheel is back in your lap. My favorite driving position is such that when I extend an arm in a relaxed straight position my wrist rests on the top of the wheel rim. Your's may be different. I'd go sit in the most comfortable to drive vehicle you own and carefully observe where the wheel is in relation to your body. Everyone is different in what they find comfortable so it is near impossible to give a hard and fast specification. It's like buying a pair of pants, the size and cut I find comfortable may not be comfortable on you. I can't look at a picture of a pair of your pants and tell you what size to buy! That's why in many cars today the steering wheel tilt, the column drop height, the telescope of the wheel and even the pedal position is adjustable, plus the additional adjustment availability of 6 way power seats, seat back angle adjustment, adjustable lumbar support pillows, etc.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 AM
lilrobo
Senior User
thanks ax
seems most of the people i have talked to went with a 30" and 4" drop , looks like i am not going to be able to tell much until i get mine out and see, 1 guy i talked to went a 6 or 7 drop that seems alot but i guess when you are using a 14 to 15 wheel you can drop it more ,i might just the column and try that and see what drop , i can always get the rest of parts when i need them . i am concerned about getting to long there isnt much to play under the hood i could go with a 28 and at worse add a coupling ? i dont know if i can cut it with it have a column shift dont know , anyway thanks i will have to get it and try it

thanks again ,,

off the guys at POL told me i had a busted diaphragm causing the noise ,

Old 07-19-2014, 07:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I'd expect a 6-7" drop (do they even offer them that long or did he make his own?) might put the column between my knees, but that show what I meant by you have to go with what works for you. Remember I have a panel with 6 way captains chairs from a van on homemade risers, and suspended pedals. I spent a LOT of time sitting in the truck deciding what was comfortable for both me and my now ex wife. I shorten my column 2" but i ave no idea how difficult it might be to shorten one with a column shift or especially a different brand column. Ididit was willing to shorten mine for me, but they wanted a fair amount of money and double shipping.
Time to shake the dice and go for it. Worse comes to worse you just sometimes have to buy a part twice and return or ebay the one that didn't work. That is one of the expectations of this hobby. That's why I like working with Mid Fifty, they have the best return policy.

I think I suggested a ruptured diaphragm in the booster.