1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another OT

Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,
Sorry to be so late posting but believe it or not I have not been around a computer since the 11th (my mom's birthday). I have been reading all of it on my phone but didn't want to tap out a short response on such an important topic. It's very interesting that you posted this when you did because I have several of the same things going on AND about a week and a half ago I started typing some thoughts of my own that are very similar to yours....I'll be posting on here as well because as you said, this is my group of friends and when it comes to important life changing decisions it's nice to have people you trust to bounce ideas off. This thread has been very good for me to read. I've been on both sides of the coin as well and am currently torn on which way to go next. My reasons are a bit different and hopefully when the time comes I can find good options as you have. I do a lot of reading on the job market and various related topics and our world is changing significantly. The latest numbers show that the average person works for a company from 1 to 5 years now. Of course there are exceptions. “They” say that no longer is a resume used to show employment history as much as it is to showcase what skills you offer. I remember when I was first starting out we were told if you show more than 2 or 3 employers on your resume you won't get hired because people will think you can't hold a job. Boy has that changed. One thing I put in my future post is my philosophy that I work to live..not live to work. I don't mean I don't work hard but I have to know that there is life outside of work and people, family, faith, etc are higher on the list and any particular job or business. I was put in a position a few years ago where an employer pushed me to do some things that I didn't feel ok doing. I had keys to the place and after thinking and praying about it I called the owner outside and pulled out the keys. I told him I had to either be a Christian or his employee but it appeared I couldn't be both. He looked kinda stunned as I handed him his keys and told him thanks and left. The point is there is only so much grief you can take in a job or business. Life is short and it seems like just the other day I was in college and now I'm about to turn 48. Heck I don't know about the company you are going to work for but I've always been one to say it can't hurt to give it a try. Who knows where that opportunity may land you. I say I'm glad you have the chance to keep working. I'd love to find a good place to work as would millions of others in this psycho economy we have. Some say there is no security in working for yourself. Some say there is none when you work someone else. Both can be correct which is what makes the whole decision so dang confusing. Just typing this has made me change my mind 5 times already...lol. Wouldn't it be good to go back to high school. Sports, sacking groceries, working on cars as a teenager, real music on the RADIO, TV shows that left something to the imagination, and a country with more people that were morally sane than not. If it were only the good ole days again..............

Happy Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2014, 04:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Wayne,

Thanks for the reply, I can tell you put a lot of thought into it.

Yeah, it would be nice to go back to the "Good ol' days" but when I look back there weren't many "Good ol' days", at least not that I can remember. I remember when my mom would tell me to enjoy school because once I get out into the real world as an adult I'll long for those days. I can honestly say I would not trade one day of my adulthood for a day of school. I hated every minute of school and couldn't wait to get out and I've never looked back. I think the reason I like adulthood better is because I have more control over my life. When I was a kid I had a parent or a teacher or some other adult telling what I could do, where I had to be and when I had to do something. Like many on this board I grew up at a time when adults had the power to tell you what to do, not like today where the adults have to say "Please" to five year olds when you ask them to do something. I never thought of telling an adult what I thought of their ideas and opinions.

I worked many years for other before starting my own business mainly because I saw practices and procedures that I thought weren't right. I also didn't like the idea of some brain dead moron who was my boss and only got to where he is was because he went to the same college or university that a member of upper management went to. I enjoyed working for myself. Most times when I saw something that wasn't being done correctly by a customer or if a customer didn't know how to do something they seemed genuinely receptive to my ideas and appreciated my experience. As the bean counter started running the company the mentality of saving a buck of quality trickled down throughout the companies. Also with the poor economy everyone can start demanding more because like themselves they know their vendors are searching for work and will hammer every which they can.

For right now it's time for someone else to take the heat. Maybe if this job doesn't work out or if the economy improves in 2 1/2 years I'll try to go out on my own again. I will not go back into the same type of business. I figure I have 2 1/2 years to decide what I can and want to do. For now I'll look forward to the paycheck every two weeks and a set quitting time every day.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts
You have to do what you have to do. Sounds like some of your employees would benefit from this new act...

The Americans with No Abilities Act

Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember the good old days are better in our older heads than they probably were! But the early 60s were great. 67 and 68 sucked as I was drafted and shipped out of the USA still the current state of things like the job market leaves a lot to be desired

Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
The early '60s, don't remember much about them. I was in diapers at that time.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 1952henry
You have to do what you have to do. Sounds like some of your employees would benefit from this new act...

The Americans with No Abilities Act
Henry, this would be funny and really unbelievable if it wasn't so close to the truth of the current administration's thinking. You can't parody what they can do because a short time later it'll turn out to be true.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
This is turning into a whole experience for me. I've never worked for a big company, the largest I've worked for had four offices, three were sales offices in other parts of the country and the main office, the one I worked at, had about 30 people. In every job I've had I went in for an interview, talked to my future supervisor and maybe his boss. They gave me a call a couple of days later and asked me to start in two weeks. With this job I went to three meetings, the last I was given an initial written offer, all the others were verbal. The sent me a package from "Corporate" via overnight delivery in it is the official overview of my job title and compensation package. I've never encountered anything like this. It's a whole new experience.

Also, my official title is "Electrical Engineer", how about that, an engineer. Not bad for a guy with a public high school ejication and a few tech school classes. I suppose being in the business for over 20 years gives me some gravitas. I can't wait until I get my business cards!!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
This is turning into a whole experience for me. I've never worked for a big company, the largest I've worked for had four offices, three were sales offices in other parts of the country and the main office, the one I worked at, had about 30 people. In every job I've had I went in for an interview, talked to my future supervisor and maybe his boss. They gave me a call a couple of days later and asked me to start in two weeks. With this job I went to three meetings, the last I was given an initial written offer, all the others were verbal. The sent me a package from "Corporate" via overnight delivery in it is the official overview of my job title and compensation package. I've never encountered anything like this. It's a whole new experience.

Also, my official title is "Electrical Engineer", how about that, an engineer. Not bad for a guy with a public high school ejication and a few tech school classes. I suppose being in the business for over 20 years gives me some gravitas. I can't wait until I get my business cards!!
So you get to play with electric trains all day? - General Electric builds electric drive train engines here in Erie (For awhile)

Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Dick, no I get to play with robots. Not the Star Wars type though, just practical manufacturing type.

Here's a sample of the last systems I installed as a sub-contractor for the company I am going to work for:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Rzy7VfFZVEA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob are you saying two weeks ago you couldn't even spell ENGINEER and now you are one!!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Bob,

You work on siom amazing stuff

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Bob are you saying two weeks ago you couldn't even spell ENGINEER and now you are one!!
As my old friend Otto Bay, now deceased, used to say, "Two weeks ago I couldn't spell enguneer and now I are one" he also said, "He's the type of engineer that should only be allowed to wear the hat and toot the horn", I hope I'm not going to be considered one of them.

Originally Posted by JimG1098
Hey Bob,

You work on siom amazing stuff
The robots are cool but I've been involved in a lot of other types of systems. I'll miss the diversity of not working on different types of systems, that is until I get my first actual paycheck

Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I saw that robot I thought of a job I had when I was 16 working 2nd shift running a plastic injection molding machine - I was an early prototype robot

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Here's a follow up after day two at my new job.

There's some pros and cons.

I miss the little freedom I had being self employed but the new company doesn't have bars on the windows. Also, these first two days, and the rest of the week, were spent at an assembly plant installing three robots. I'm working with a group of buys who are easy to work with. There are no supervisors to crack the whip over any of us.'

The funny thing is I get edgy because the pace isn't as fast as I ran my business. When I owned the business the faster I could get a job done the less hours spent for the price I quoted, if there were delays either from my customer or because a machine wasn't ready for me to work on I lost time, and money, waiting around for my chance to get the work done. Now if there's down time the clock is running and I'm getting paid. I just don't like standing around doing nothing.

Once we're done with this installation I'll be in the shop working in an air conditioned shop. The benefits I'm receiving are amazing to someone who hasn't had benefits for over 15 years. It still is going to take a little while before I can feel completely comfortable in this new job but so far it's pretty good.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Enjoy Bob Life can go by quickly