6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

1st Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Regen

I hate them.
I live in San Diego so you know I not getting up to speed often. I monitor carefully with the edge insight. Mostly freeway and still regen every 100-120. I finish 90 percent of my regens. Had truck at the dealer multiple times, To quote the dealer "No light no problem". I have tried everything. I have started think that MOST, 90 percent and above simple don't know when it regen is happening. SO I DON"T think you are going to get GOOD numbers from a public forum. It simple could be the way it works. A example I have seen it posted that ford truck with the 6.7 never ever regens with towing, FACT is ford has a Mandatory REGEN around 600 miles. People simple don't know what going on, they have been isolated by the manufacture. So it is near impossible to get to the truth.

I going to run it to fill the DPF then I going to say FORD I told you I brought you my truck multiple time and you said no light no problem, now it your problem. It has been documented.

IF YOU FIND A ANSWER PLEASE POST.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:15 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
I hate them.
I live in San Diego so you know I not getting up to speed often. I monitor carefully with the edge insight. Mostly freeway and still regen every 100-120. I finish 90 percent of my regens. Had truck at the dealer multiple times, To quote the dealer "No light no problem". I have tried everything. I have started think that MOST, 90 percent and above simple don't know when it regen is happening. SO I DON"T think you are going to get GOOD numbers from a public forum. It simple could be the way it works. A example I have seen it posted that ford truck with the 6.7 never ever regens with towing, FACT is ford has a Mandatory REGEN around 600 miles. People simple don't know what going on, they have been isolated by the manufacture. So it is near impossible to get to the truth.

I going to run it to fill the DPF then I going to say FORD I told you I brought you my truck multiple time and you said no light no problem, now it your problem. It has been documented.

IF YOU FIND A ANSWER PLEASE POST.
I don't care for them (regen) either, but the system on the 6.7 seem to be better than my old 6.4's was. I'm happy with mine, just learning how it works.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I can say for a fact that these trucks Regen every 500 miles... Even when towing. I am currently towing my 5er across the country and it regens every 500 miles despite my soot levels being less than 10%

Old 07-20-2014, 09:39 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Great Danes
I can say for a fact that these trucks Regen every 500 miles... Even when towing. I am currently towing my 5er across the country and it regens every 500 miles despite my soot levels being less than 10%
my tuck does the same.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Well we're back home...the new 6.7 did great! Lot's of power, tractor like torque! 6% grades pulling nearly 14k# in the Smokies were no match for the 6.7! I am having to get used to the frequency of the active regens when not towing, but it seems to be normal and efficient. At least with the Torque Pro monitor I can tell what's going on and even predict when its about to happen. The truck rides great, very quiet ride, stops very well, (got to try out the brakes a couple times going thru Atlanta). The engine brake worked well too. Bottom line....I am Happy I bought this truck, even if my 6.4 was paid for, 0 complaints...!

Here are the #'s, from the "trip meter",

Total Miles = 2056.7
Gals. of Fuel = 175.3
Avg MPG This Trip = 11.7

About 1400 of the miles were towing my 5ver, only did 2 active regens while towing, once on the way up and once on way back. It did a bunch of them while were there driving around visiting and sightseeing though.

I did calculate MPG on a couple tanks, and found it to be within .1 -.3 of the ECU figures.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GW09F350
Well we're back home...the new 6.7 did great! Lot's of power, tractor like torque! 6% grades pulling nearly 14k# in the Smokies were no match for the 6.7! I am having to get used to the frequency of the active regens when not towing, but it seems to be normal and efficient. At least with the Torque Pro monitor I can tell what's going on and even predict when its about to happen. The truck rides great, very quiet ride, stops very well, (got to try out the brakes a couple times going thru Atlanta). The engine brake worked well too. Bottom line....I am Happy I bought this truck, even if my 6.4 was paid for, 0 complaints...!

Here are the #'s, from the "trip meter",

Total Miles = 2056.7
Gals. of Fuel = 175.3
Avg MPG This Trip = 11.7

About 1400 of the miles were towing my 5ver, only did 2 active regens while towing, once on the way up and once on way back. It did a bunch of them while were there driving around visiting and sightseeing though.

I did calculate MPG on a couple tanks, and found it to be within .1 -.3 of the ECU figures.
Nice report, thanks..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Nice report

The 6.7 loves to pull. It spoils you on long trips.''

Yes it goes into active regen with the soot numbers are very low. Does not seem to hurt. It could be 500 miles and not 600, I could be wrong.

I don't really worry about regen anymore except to let the turbo cool down a bit.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by donovan
The 6.7 loves to pull. It spoils you on long trips.''

Yes it goes into active regen with the soot numbers are very low. Does not seem to hurt. It could be 500 miles and not 600, I could be wrong.

I don't really worry about regen anymore except to let the turbo cool down a bit.
Something i started doing...When my truck hasn't finished regen and I get home, I've started letting I run, keeping revs at 1200-1500 rpm for 3-4 minutes or until EGT14 is below 800°. I've found this does a couple things, 1. Allows the exhaust to cool off and 2. I noticed that the soot% and soot mass will continue to drop, basically completing the regen. I've seen my soot% go from 55% to 11% after putting my truck in park, which shuts off the regen.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
-16% soot reading on Torque Pro?

MPD56 if your still watching this thread, I was wondering if you or anyone else, had seen a reading like that. I got the reading towing my 5ver during its 500 mile regen. Regen lasted 16 miles, which was 6 miles further than its ever taken before, soot% was appx 70% when it started, but when soot% got to 0% it just kept dropping all the way to -16%. Also the soot mass went below 0 to -0.6. Might be something in the Torque Pro settings or PID equation. I just don't think that was an accurate reading. Any thoughts ?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Yes

I have had my regen start at 10 percent full and have watched it drop below zero. I "think" the regen is longer for the forced regen.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 PM
MPD56
Elder User
I’m still watching, your reports have good info.

I just came home from an 800 mile camping trip and haven’t had time to look at the data.

I believe that when you get negative numbers in torque, it is because of the equation. This doesn’t mean that it is not accurate, because the PCM has to recalibrate do to ash residual and set a baseline. I could write an equation that stops at zero, but the low end of the equation would be less accurate. I believe you will see this if you shut the truck off and reading a negative number and then soon after the number will read positive. The PCM response is not really a negative number it is a range that changes a low end. The 100% is more important that there is a maximum amount of exhaust flow and the PCM considers the exhaust and SCR system is not blocked. (I will try to post the link to the Ford Documents).

You know I’m half guessing. But the 500 miles is also calculated by the PCM, there are a lot of variables that determined length of an Active and Passive Regen, the PCM will also depending on the variables will subtract miles for the 500 mile counter and this is why some folks without monitors only using their odometer will calculate over 500 miles. I’ve forced an Active Regens to stop with different variables and have seen miles subtracted.

I watch the exhaust back pressure and although my equation is way off, the numbers are relative enough to mean something. When I have it figured out, I’ll post so others can test.

Hope this make sense.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM
GW09F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by MPD56
I’m still watching, your reports have good info.

I just came home for an 800 mile camping trip and haven’t had time to look at the data.

I believe that when you get negative numbers in torque, it is because of the equation. This doesn’t mean that it is not accurate, because the PCM has to recalibrate do to ash residual and set a baseline. I could write an equation that stops at zero, but the low end of the equation would be less accurate. I believe you will see this if you shut the truck off and reading a negative number and then soon after the number will read positive. The PCM response is not really a negative number it is a range that changes a low end. The 100% is more important that there is a maximum amount of exhaust flow and the PCM considers the exhaust and SCR system is not blocked. (I will try to post the link to the Ford Documents).

You know I’m half guessing. But the 500 miles is also calculated by the PCM, there are a lot of variables that determined length of an Active and Passive Regen, the PCM will also depending on the variables will subtract miles for the 500 mile counter and this is why some folks without monitors only using their odometer will calculate over 500 miles. I’ve forced an Active Regens to stop with different variables and have seen miles subtracted.

I watch the exhaust back pressure and although my equation is way off, the numbers are relative enough to mean something. When I have it figured out, I’ll post so others can test.

Hope this make sense.
Oh yes! I understand perfectly! Lol. Thanks again for all the work on torque pro. Glad you made it back safe from your trip, I really enjoyed pulling my 5ver on our trip!