1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

99 e150 4.2 missfiring and popping

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM
jrp79
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 e150 4.2 missfiring and popping

when van is started theres a gas odor. motor shakes and is worse when in gear.while driving the van seems to backfire/pop(sounds like its coming from the exhaust).theres no smoke from the exhaust.missing like crazy while driving and i can seem to figure it out.can any one help/suggest something to try?

first code was lean,cleared it and drive it then i got a cyl 1 4 and gen. mis fire.
van has a new fuel pump,ff, coil(changed twice), omni wires, motorcraft plugs. changed the intake gasket, cleaned all fuel injectors, checked for vacuum leaks.fuel pressure at idle is 34 and with regulator unplugged it rises to 40.compresion for 1 2 3 4 5 is 170 and 6 is 160. used a scope and all injectors are pulsating. cleaned maf. cats were suposably gutted. has no codes coming up.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If your cats are gutted, the oxy sensor readings will be screwed up unless you have oxy sensor simulators after the missing catalytic converter(s).

Seems to me that the post-cat oxy sensors will be getting messed up readings and leaning out your mixture to try to compensate. Gutting cats is pretty illegal and if your van is a long term keeper, I'd get some cats on the thing. In the old days I have removed and gutted cats myself (and removed air pumps, etc) so I could run regular leaded gas but these days I like the idea of preserving the world for future generations. But these were vehicles without oxy sensors and computers.

Good luck,
George

Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Can't be the cats George, the mixture is only adjusted with the front sensors. The downstream sensors only exist to make sure the cats are working.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Can't be the cats George, the mixture is only adjusted with the front sensors. The downstream sensors only exist to make sure the cats are working.
Thanks for the info--would the downstream sensors just trigger a check engine light and corresponding OBD II reading if the cats were not there?

I get paranoid about the idea of messing with any kind of emissions equipment in this day and age because everything is so interrelated.

Regards,
George

Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Thanks for the info--would the downstream sensors just trigger a check engine light and corresponding OBD II reading if the cats were not there?
Yup, that's exactly what would happen. One of the big purposes of the OBD-II system was to make emissions checks easier. The idea is that if the check engine light isn't on the car should pass emissions. So the downstream sensors were implemented to ensure that the emissions equipment was working properly.

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I get paranoid about the idea of messing with any kind of emissions equipment in this day and age because everything is so interrelated.
Yeah it certainly is. Unfortunately lots of folks remove or gut catalytic conversions for what I think are pretty silly reasons. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with how the truck runs after that though.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Did all this bucking, odor etc suddenly start or has it been one of those "slowly getting worse...." situations?

From your description possibly you have an ignition and/or firing order issue, sounds like motors with timing chains where its "jumped time" and not firing properly.

Has anything in that realm been checked yet?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
jrp79
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a companys van i work on.they told me it started while driving down a dirt road.when i picked up the van there was only a lean code.i cleared it and drove it for about 7 miles(my shop)and codes came up as cyl 1 and 4 and gen mis fire so i replaced the coil again, wires and plugs cleaned the injectors did the compression test.it ran alittle better but still skips bad and when in idle i turn the ac on and put it in gear and itll stall.
could it be a bent valve or push rod?

Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The popping is diffidently a misfire, gases are firing in the exhaust manifold.

After you replace all the above listed 'basic' parts, did you check the major components?

Have you checked the distribute for "looseness"?

Have you checked the timing chain for "Slack"?

I was fighting this same problem on my '92 5.8, found the dist was wobbling, replaced with new, could get the timing on at idle, but rev'ed up, the timing was bouncing all over +/-. Did the chain test, and ended up replacing the timing chain and gears, and on the way into that, found that the chain was not OE.

All that helped, but still not running right.

Conclusion = cam shaft is shot. Yes, this is the pre- '94 roller cam engine.

Next step - engine replacement, cause I don't thing it's worth just doing the heads and cam, next thing to go, the lower end?
And this engine only has 126K on the clock, but I'm not the original owner.