Sponsored by:

WANTED: Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
kevin.ford-trucks
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
WANTED: Tire Recommendation

I have 4 Michelin XLTs from SAMS in 2010. One had a slow leak. Yesterday, the tech said that under their policy they could not fix as it was too close to the sidewall. Tread is at 7/32. Their option - replace two tires. I took it to my local, rural, tire guy. They fixed it - said no issue, not in the center, but very repairable - said the SAMS balance job was lousy so redid the balance on both front tires. $17 for repair and 2 balance. Seems very reasonable to me. I'm probably done with SAMS club tire service.

All that said.. what is a good tire for my Ex.. 95% pavement driving.. rare 4WD.. 8 passengers... rare towing..

How frequent should I really rotate? I've been averaging about every 12K.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed 4 General Grabber HTS's i the stock size. I went from a 285 BFG A/T TA back to the 265's. I really like the Generals, always have! They are a low rolling resistance tire. I highly recomend them.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 PM
2004TBIRD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion Tires - Personal Experience

Personally have had excellent service from the Michelin XLTs. This set has 55,000 miles on them and still look good for another 20,000. Replaced the OEM #$#@ Firestones with Michelins (driver's side front failed at midnight on an interstate!) and have never been the least bit sorry.

Also used Michelins on daughter's 2003 Explorer for all of the 175,000 miles we had it. No issues whatsoever and great wear. Expensive but worth it. Also, if properly balanced at installation you will likely never need to rebalance.

Used to manage a fleet of vehicles for a distribution company and this was true of them as well with many different drivers - high mileage and infrequent rebalancing or failures.

My Excursion 2WD, all highway and very little towing. Have to confess have only rotated tires once in those 55,000 miles - just kept them properly inflated and front end aligned.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got my eye on a set of the Duratracs in a 285/75/16, but I go off road occasionally and I tow. In all honesty the Uniroyal HD/Hs that the dealer put on there are not horrible once I had them balanced properly. They are quiet and they ride nice, and seem to be wearing well. Crap for snow traction, good in the rain. They just don't do what I want them to do.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
When I bought my Ex, it came with a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers MT on it. They have been a fairly good tire over all, a little noisy on the road, but they have provided a sure footing for the Ex and my driving style. When they end up needing replaced, will I go with them again, well I am not sure, but they will be something that I will be looking at when I am shopping around.

On a side note, I have found that the tire surveys done by tirerack are very useful in knowing how a tire will perform, I almost always check their surveys when I am looking for a good reliable tire.

Good luck with you choices!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I tow and go on and off road. The only tires that I've had on it are the original BFG Rugged trail tires, and the Goodyear Silent Armor tires.

The BFG's wore like iron, and gave 60,000 plus miles and had a lot of tread left. On dry pavement, and even towing, they worked like a charm. Their only downside to me was they had less traction than I liked on wet roads, and were not snow rated. Those things are important to me with towing.

The Silent Armors have worn decently and I have about 25,000 miles on them and expect to get another 10,000 or so before replacement. Yes, they wear faster, but the traction is excellent, wet, snow or dry. The lug pattern works very well off road, and that Kevlar belt they put in it really works. There is no more noise than the BFG's, and More than one thing has tried to puncture these tires off road, and Nothing has succeeded yet.
Unfortunately Goodyear has discontinued the 285/75-16 size in this tire. I really liked this tire for my needs.

They now have the "Wrangle All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar" That I may look into when I need tires again.

All that said, If I was using it for near exclusively on road driving, I would go for the Michelins. Extreme long life, great performance. I have everyone in the family use Michelin's on their cars, since they are the best that I can think of.

Try to rotate your tires more often. The owners manual recommends every 5000 miles. There is a LOT of good information about tires in the owners manual. Read it and you will be glad you did.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin.ford-trucks
I have 4 Michelin XLTs from SAMS in 2010. One had a slow leak. Yesterday, the tech said that under their policy they could not fix as it was too close to the sidewall. Tread is at 7/32. Their option - replace two tires. I took it to my local, rural, tire guy. They fixed it - said no issue, not in the center, but very repairable - said the SAMS balance job was lousy so redid the balance on both front tires. $17 for repair and 2 balance. Seems very reasonable to me. I'm probably done with SAMS club tire service.

All that said.. what is a good tire for my Ex.. 95% pavement driving.. rare 4WD.. 8 passengers... rare towing..

How frequent should I really rotate? I've been averaging about every 12K.
I've been done with Sam's Club and their terrible customer service since 2004. I was pricing a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires and one of the techs argued that I don't need to run load range "E" tires on MY truck. It got to the point where the manager had to step in and shut him up. Needless to say, I when I went back to have them price match a deal I found, no one had to tell me he didn't work there anymore.

You'll get good life out of a Michelin LTX M/S tire, but they need to be inflated by what's on the tire and NOT what's on the door. I run 65 all around on my '05 Excursion, the ride is good and the tread is nice and even, and I have no unusual wear. Since you're 95% pavement, I'd suggest sticking with the Michelin LTX M/S 2. Properly inflated and rotated, they can last past the 70,000 miles they're warrantied to.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin LTX MS2, without a doubt.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Mattb60
Senior User
Have Mickey T Baja ATZs 35x12.50s
Kinda rugged look without the bad manners or noise of a true offroad tire.
I have about 8-10k miles on them and they seem to be wearing well.
I have a lot of friends running Nittos right now who seem to be happy with them, but these are not on Exs.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Tcook911
New User
Nitto terra grappler are the best out there. 285 or 305 or 315. Quiet ride, long life, perfect for minor off reading. Got75k miles out of last set with plenty of tread left. Sold them to buddy for his work truck

Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Not sure where you live, but if you deal with snow and ice you can't go wrong with the Silent Armours. I am on my second set and got 77,000 miles on first set. Just kept correct pressure and rotated every other oil change (6000 miles). I have never had the Michelins personally, but they do get good reviews also, just not aggressive enough for my occasional off road trips.