Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Junior User

marcogyver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need a new key made

Never did I think I would be posting about a new key but I can't believe the dealer want $140 for a new key cut and programmed, this is without the FOB. I have my original key but it was dropped and run over so the security chip doesn't work. Has anyone purchase else where such as ebay and had a locksmith cut it? I would image this is less expensive and programming shouldn't be difficult if I still have one working key.

Any advice or experiences are appreciated.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Call your locksmith and ask him.

If you don't have one working key, you only have two options: Dealer or locksmith. Get TWO keys made and programmed in. Make sure they are not identical (one cloned from the other).

Once you have two working, unique keys, you can by the blanks off eBay, cut them locally, and then program into the system yourself.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 AM
New User

SinatraFan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just went through a key scenario myself. apparently, the keys I had with the car were cut by the idiots at the dealer lot I bought it from and they wouldn't open the drivers door. I always used the FOB to unlock the door but the battery died one morning only to find out the keys didn't work. Well... after finally finding a good locksmith that wasnt a crook, I still paid nearly $200 to have 2 keys cut and programmed and a key/fob cut and programmed including parts and the service call to my home. Total, 3 keys and one fob so that wasn't too bad

here's the key/fob i was referring to.

Click the image to open in full size.

Just make sure you get them to commit to a price UP FRONT.... don't let them scam you into a BS answer and all of a sudden you're sitting on a huge bill.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Junior User

Thanks, a buddy referred a locksmith to me that does work for dealers. He said 80 buck which isn't so terrible. I found a way around my issue for now. I have an aftermarket alarm/remote start. I remote start the vehicle which bypasses the PATS so I can use my broken PATS key.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
I take it you don't have a second key?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
I take it you don't have a second key?
I do have one good working PATS key and one FOB but from what I read on a 2002 you need 2 working keys to program with out a programmer.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
If you have a remote starter installed, you may have a pre-programmed key tucked away up under the dash in a key bypass module (or your might have an module that imitates a key).
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
I do have one good working PATS key and one FOB but
You should have said that in the first place, as well as having a working remote starter.

An existing, working PATS key can be cloned for about $60 at Home Depot. It will keep you on the road and out of trouble, but you won't be able to program in new, unique keys (see my previous post).
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
If you have a remote starter installed, you may have a pre-programmed key tucked away up under the dash in a key bypass module.
Yep, that's where I was heading. If there is a key up under the dash, plus the spare in-hand, that gives two key heads in order to program in a new third one without going to a dealer or locksmith.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Junior User

Thanks for you help. I'll have to look around under dash. I looked briefly but didn't see anything like that but have to fish more.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Yep, that's where I was heading. If there is a key up under the dash, plus the spare in-hand, that gives two key heads in order to program in a new third one without going to a dealer or locksmith.
Thanks for the help. What I've found out is there is a DEI 551t remote starter and 555F transponder. The transponder is mounted up inside the column by the key lock and was programmed with the PATS info. The locksmith made/programmed two keys and one valet for 100 buck which is I think is very good considering dealer wanted 160 for one.

Now I just need to figure out how to program the FOB. My alarm is using the factory FOBs and must be bypassing the control module or igintion system because I can't enter the programming mode.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcogyver View Post
My alarm is using the factory FOBs and must be bypassing the control module or igintion system because I can't enter the programming mode.

What's the make and model number of your alarm?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Junior User

Quote:
What's the make and model number of your alarm?
It's an automate 415.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcogyver View Post
It's an automate 415.
In that case start by finding the valet button.

-Turn the key on
-Press and release the valet button once and then press it again but hold it this time.
-While holding valet button, press the lock button on remote and light/horn will sound.

If that happened you are done and the remote is now programmed in, if not try again by starting over from beginning.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Junior User

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping that would work but the research I did looks like my FOB is communicating with the Expy lock system and not with the automate. The automate is just using the lock pulsed to activate.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM