Computer Chips & Tuners  

what chip do you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what chip do you recommend

Im looking into getting a diesel truck like a 96 to 2002 range. And i want a chip thatll help the mpg and power when i need it but also control how my tranny shifts. Like delayed up shifts and higher line pressure for firmer shifts. thats all i want it to do i dont need anything too fancy or pricy. What kinds do u guys suggest

Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dutter 2
Im looking into getting a diesel truck like a 96 to 2002 range. And i want a chip thatll help the mpg and power when i need it but also control how my tranny shifts. Like delayed up shifts and higher line pressure for firmer shifts. thats all i want it to do i dont need anything too fancy or pricy. What kinds do u guys suggest

Pick one or the other. Can't really expect to have both.

You'll be hard pressed to find a cheap 7.3 that doesn't have an awful lot of miles on it and since you are getting an auto, I would make sure that the auto tranny has been taken care off. That is the notorious weak link on a 7.3

I would look into a DP Multi position Chip, they are the ones that most of the 7.3 guys seem to like as they can custom tune, especially if you are particular how your tranny shifts, that's going to be the best route to make sure it shifts how you want it to shift. If you go with canned programs, you may or may not like some or all of the programs.

Although price is important, don't let it be the sole factor that moves you away from an option or toward an option. There is a reason why "a poor person can't afford to buy cheap", especially when it comes to this type of stuff. Do it right the first time.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Dutter 2
Elder User
Alright thanks yeah ill look into that, and i definitely know how the tranny can be weak spot with them torque monsters. I just finished my semester in school for trannys. and with the money thing im will to spend about 700 bucks on a chip. My horse got hurt really bad in are last trailer so were buying a bigger slant load trailer so i need a bigger truck to haul it in the mean time untell i can aford a newer truck once im working full time for my final truck

Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Alright thanks yeah ill look into that, and i definitely know how the tranny can be weak spot with them torque monsters. I just finished my semester in school for trannys. and with the money thing im will to spend about 700 bucks on a chip. My horse got hurt really bad in are last trailer so were buying a bigger slant load trailer so i need a bigger truck to haul it in the mean time untell i can aford a newer truck once im working full time for my final truck

I know how it can be with horses and trailers, I haul mine around all the time. It can be nerve racking in those trailers that's for sure and accidents can happen.

Doesn't make things any easier when you have dipwads on the road that don't know how to drive with trailers around on the road.

When I had the 6.0, I had a very specific horse tow tune written by Matt at Spartan Diesel that tones a lot of stuff done. You might want to think about having a tune specifically when hauling horses (or any living critter actually) as things do get exaggerated when it makes it to the trailers (sudden stops, accelerations, turns etc).

Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sct programer worked pretty good, you can do your shift points, shift pressure and firm up the line pressure, and for the engine you can pick your basic, fuel millage, towing, power, off road tunes. you can also adjust your speedo for larger tire or gear swaps. I really like mine. for what it is. Lets put it this way, its the beginners chip, when you start making better up grades, cold air intakes, exhaust systems, injectors, turbos than its time to get that out and sell it to the next guy.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by David7.3
The sct programer worked pretty good, you can do your shift points, shift pressure and firm up the line pressure, and for the engine you can pick your basic, fuel millage, towing, power, off road tunes. you can also adjust your speedo for larger tire or gear swaps. I really like mine. for what it is. Lets put it this way, its the beginners chip, when you start making better up grades, cold air intakes, exhaust systems, injectors, turbos than its time to get that out and sell it to the next guy.
A tuner is not a chip, those are different devices.

Unless you are talking about some other SCT device, you can do custom tunes for your vehicle on those as well. They will allow you to compensate for injectors and turbos, so there is no need to sell them to the next person, if you upgrade to bigger injectors and/or turbo.

They do come pre-packed with tunes (which can be hit or miss), but they do allow for custom tunes as well.

The one thing that I would not do, is just a device that only allows for the tuning that was original put it on it. Those will limit you moreso then custom chips or tuners.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right on. I think the scat tuner does that, there are so many out there who knows the damage we are doing.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
ooh ok yeah thats exactly what im looking for , sorry i guess i should have said tuner not a chip i thought they did the same thing just called different. And yeah my horse actually got hurt by jumping out of the escape door of are straight load while tryn to get the other horse in. Its looking like we'll have to put her down shes just not healing

Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
ooh ok yeah thats exactly what im looking for , sorry i guess i should have said tuner not a chip i thought they did the same thing just called different. And yeah my horse actually got hurt by jumping out of the escape door of are straight load while tryn to get the other horse in. Its looking like we'll have to put her down shes just not healing
There are a few things different about them. The biggest is how they interface with the truck itself.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Dutter 2
Elder User
yeah and i like the idea of being more in control of everything, now what about like a 93 ? if there OBDI how much good would a chip or tuner do