Systems 101: Designing a Custom Exhaust System for Your Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM
makthenif
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
You may want to direct your question to a representative of the brand of muffler that you are planning to run. They should be able to give you a better idea of how to set your system up in relation to their products. Good luck!
I am asking for an opinion on the design not the muffler. Frankly I am undecided on the muffler. So if you are unwilling to comment on the design I understand. Thanks

Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by makthenif
I am asking for an opinion on the design not the muffler. Frankly I am undecided on the muffler. So if you are unwilling to comment on the design I understand. Thanks
I am here to help. I was simply stating that I could not provide you with the proper information in relation to sound or performance, that you are looking to achieve, based on a product that I am not familiar with incorporating into a system.

What vehicle are you designing your system for? Please let me know the model, year, engine and current exhaust setup (ie: is it still stock, what diameter tubing if it was altered, etc.).

Old 08-07-2014, 12:26 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Hey Matt, what do you think about this?

I have a 71 f-100 with a 351 cleveland engine. Nothing too hot, just edelbrock carb intake and cam.

Right now it has 2" dual off of stock manifolds, 22" glasspacks.

I like the way it sounds, but am wondering if the 2" pipes are flowing enough for ideal performance. The engine will never get revved above 5,500 rpm.

It's a daily driver, with some towing/hauling duty, and a lot of haul-*** duty. Basically my do everything pickup.

I would want it to sound aggressive and loud at the tail pipes, but keep quiet and mellow while cruising. The current system does a good job at that, but could be a little louder.

Here is a YouTube video I made of it.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Hey Matt, what do you think about this?

I have a 71 f-100 with a 351 cleveland engine. Nothing too hot, just edelbrock carb intake and cam.

Right now it has 2" dual off of stock manifolds, 22" glasspacks.

I like the way it sounds, but am wondering if the 2" pipes are flowing enough for ideal performance. The engine will never get revved above 5,500 rpm.

It's a daily driver, with some towing/hauling duty, and a lot of haul-*** duty. Basically my do everything pickup.

I would want it to sound aggressive and loud at the tail pipes, but keep quiet and mellow while cruising. The current system does a good job at that, but could be a little louder.
I'm pretty sure that stock tubing on your truck was 2.25" from the factory but considering your mods and the size of your engine, you definitely need to be running 2.50" pipes. As far as sound, those glasspacks will get louder as the packing material wears down, but I would recommend a pair of our 50 Series Delta Flow mufflers. Be sure to add an H-pipe to your system to get an even deeper tone and increase a little bit of that low-end torque.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:24 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Thanks Matt, I'll do just that when I build it.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Thanks Matt, I'll do just that when I build it.
No problem. Best of luck to you! Let me know if you have any more questions once you get moving on this.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Matt,

Does Flowmaster offer any type of system to replace the stock exhaust on a 1986 F150 SWB with 4.9L six cylinder, from the exhaust manifold back? The engine is stock other than having been converted to Duraspark ignition with recurved distributor. It still has the original 2 catalytic convertors, but no EGR or air pump.

My tastes are more towards the mellow sound, not too loud, but perhaps a little more free flowing.

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
Matt,

Does Flowmaster offer any type of system to replace the stock exhaust on a 1986 F150 SWB with 4.9L six cylinder, from the exhaust manifold back? The engine is stock other than having been converted to Duraspark ignition with recurved distributor. It still has the original 2 catalytic convertors, but no EGR or air pump.

My tastes are more towards the mellow sound, not too loud, but perhaps a little more free flowing.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, Flowmaster does not produce a direct fit Cat-back system for your truck. However, we do offer several muffler options for you application. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Trlrdrinla
New User
Matt,

I have 2011 f250 6.2. I have a CAI on the way and I want to do some exhaust mods for sound, power and economy. I have read a lot of post where there was a loss of mileage and power when exhaust mods are made. I believe the correct mods can help both power and economy. What would you recommend for this truck, cat back system or a few parts changed out? I also run the 87 performance/tow tune from five star. This is a weekend driver, 70% towing a four horse trailer or tractor.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Trlrdrinla
Matt,

I have 2011 f250 6.2. I have a CAI on the way and I want to do some exhaust mods for sound, power and economy. I have read a lot of post where there was a loss of mileage and power when exhaust mods are made. I believe the correct mods can help both power and economy. What would you recommend for this truck, cat back system or a few parts changed out? I also run the 87 performance/tow tune from five star. This is a weekend driver, 70% towing a four horse trailer or tractor.
I would recommend Flowmaster part #817505 because it is a fully engineered system that was designed specifically for your vehicle application. This Flowmaster Force II kit comes with two sets of tail pipes. The provided tail pipes allow for either a rear exit or side exit exhaust setup. Because you use your truck for towing, I would use the side exit pipes so that the sound won't be bouncing back off of your horse trailer.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM
acc2828
Junior User
does the overall length matter

Matt
I was thinking of coming out in front of the rear axle. I have a 77 4x4 shortbox. And I was thinking of mimicking my 97 f150 that had the exhaust come out in front of the rear wheels. Will this hinder performance.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by acc2828
Matt
I was thinking of coming out in front of the rear axle. I have a 77 4x4 shortbox. And I was thinking of mimicking my 97 f150 that had the exhaust come out in front of the rear wheels. Will this hinder performance.
You should be fine as long as you are able to run an adequate amount of tail pipe, at least 12 inches, after the muffler.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM
docbar85
New User
Matt

I have a 1990, F250, 351 that has a crack in the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Considering I got to replace the manifold I'm thinking about putting headers on it to maybe get a little more HP, MPG. Keep in mind I am completely open minded as to what would be best. I could just replace the manifold, or install headers and hook it up to what I have, or put headers on it and replace everything, or replace the manifold and change everything else. The air pump has been removed and the ports on top of the manifold have been plugged. As far as sound goes I don't care for anything loud but I want to easily hear it running. I would prefer to have duels coming out the back but it doesn't matter much. It looks like it be a little difficult getting one of the exhaust back over to to the other side. So again, the pipes can come out wherever would be best. Also, I don't mind if I need to get a muffler shop to do some of the work, especially when it comes to any bending. Please give me your opinion as to what would be best and maybe a recommendation as to which headers would most likely fit with out hammering and bending. Thanks, look forward to your reply.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Matt@Flowmaster
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by docbar85
Matt

I have a 1990, F250, 351 that has a crack in the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Considering I got to replace the manifold I'm thinking about putting headers on it to maybe get a little more HP, MPG. Keep in mind I am completely open minded as to what would be best. I could just replace the manifold, or install headers and hook it up to what I have, or put headers on it and replace everything, or replace the manifold and change everything else. The air pump has been removed and the ports on top of the manifold have been plugged. As far as sound goes I don't care for anything loud but I want to easily hear it running. I would prefer to have duels coming out the back but it doesn't matter much. It looks like it be a little difficult getting one of the exhaust back over to to the other side. So again, the pipes can come out wherever would be best. Also, I don't mind if I need to get a muffler shop to do some of the work, especially when it comes to any bending. Please give me your opinion as to what would be best and maybe a recommendation as to which headers would most likely fit with out hammering and bending. Thanks, look forward to your reply.
PM sent. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Systems 101: Designing a Custom Exhaust System for Your Truck