6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Why the different readings from SCAN II to Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why the different readings from SCAN II to Torque?

Have the Scan gauge installed and have been watching it for a while, no issues. Bought a nice 7" Samsung pad and installed Torque Pro and a mini blue tooth. Called up the Ford PIDs and the difference between the two is .... but why?

My EOT/ECT is around 1-3 and runs 192-195 all the time, except towing using SCAN. This morning with the Torque app it's a 8-10 difference. ECT was 185, EOT was 193.

Same for the trans temp, SCAN had it at 160ish always, today Torque has it following the ECT almost matched exactly this morning. ECT was 185, so was trans temp. EOT was 193. When I started from a cold soak, temps were 83.3 ECT, 83 EOT, 83 trans using Torque.

That's a 22 mile one way trip to work, flat ground, normal operating temp, average speed of 55-65mph. The EOT/ECT isn't really an issue, the trans temp could be. But really, why the huge difference in the readings, SCAN is getting the same info the Torque is getting?

Thanks for the info
Randy

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are 2 trans temp gauges in Torque Pro, use the other one....

As far as the EOT/ECT differences....good question, mine doesn't do that.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:26 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I don't know if the other trans temp is corrected, but in previous versions you needed to edit the PID for the trans temp and go down to OBD Header and change it to TCM (or make sure it has that and not Auto).

On the EOT ECT: I myself would run them back to back just be sure the difference is real, then dig into why. Torque and SGII absolutely should read the same if they are, in fact, looking at the same PIDs...

Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
On the way home the difference was still there and suddenly, they were back to normal. This morning, after warm up, temp stuck at 185 for coolant temp... looks like a bad sensor or sending unit.

I just downloaded Torque Pro to the phone two days ago, its using method 1 for trans temp, say's auto in the PID. I changed it to TCM and now shows method 2. Should be good to go as the tablet is using method two and is correct.

Thanks fellas!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:49 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Something else I thought of: I had a "buggy" bluetooth ODBII transmitter and it would connect/disconnect and you really had a hard time telling if the gauges were updating.

I take it your "stuck" reading for ECT was with your SGII? Otherwise if it's in Torque you might want to make sure it is staying connected and has reliable comms. There are several settings you can play with on the Torque side to help with an adapter that is slow, etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
I think the "stuck" is the sensor on the truck, either the connection or the sensor itself.

the reading was slow to update, but only that one PID. I'll try my phone this afternoon instead of the tablet and this evening I'll try another transmitter if it still has a problem. Changing more than one thing at a time leads to miss diagnosis.

Should be able to see a disconnected Bluetooth transmitter with a notification on the pad/phone I'd think.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Changing more than one thing at a time leads to miss diagnosis.
YES, and it also makes you ask yourself...."which one of the things I just changed was the actual problem". It's great to fix something, but it's also important to know what the issue was, and what fixed it.

You're only running 1 gauge at a time, right? Not trying to use the SG and TP at the same time?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
That also is a good point Money -- I had thought of it earlier and failed to ask.

WatsonR: What Money is talking about is if you are running an ODBII splitter -- something many people with many different devices have had trouble with.
And yes you can see up in the corner of the screen if it is connected.

The ECT and EOT are the same sensor, you could try swapping them, or swap the leads and see if the problem follows. Do you think there's any chance of a thermostat issue?

And somewhat off topic: Never mind: stupid must have kicked in -- I see your 1st post the details What did you get for a tablet and where and do you like it? I'm thinking between 7-10" size for my use (Likely just Torque)...

Old 07-08-2014, 04:19 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Drive home today was a let-down. Was thinking I'd get a chance to tear something apart to see how it worked... everything worked fine, 1-2 degree separation on both Torque and Scan Gauge.

One devise, but going from the transmitter to scan gauge does cause the reading to not function correctly until the newly connected devise is really seated well and connected. I put the scan gauge on and only two gauges worked, restarted truck, three worked, reconnected with truck off, waited until all the scan gauges came up and then started truck, everything works.

No splitter, just one device on the OBD port at a time. The devise will only talk to the pad or phone but not both at the same time.

Got the Samsung Galaxy 2.0 7" with 32Gig chip off ebay for $100, it was used gently, came with a cover as well. I think the pad runs $200 new without a memory chip.

I like a back up to everything when possible, so that's three separate ways to watch the truck, all not at the same time.... maybe I'm sick?

Here's my issue between them all;
Phone with Torque and devise is cheap if you already have the phone = about $15, but I'm stuck to see only Torque or just phone call or just whatever is on the screen at the time.

Scan gauge is good, its always hooked up and I don't have to do anything after its programmed, discount from Advanced Auto = $110

Pad and Torque with devise is really nice. Lots of cool stuff to look at, I still need a mounting bracket (another $50 probably), but for now = $120 in this setup.

Using the phone for Pandora and a phone is easy, Maps too. Having it do Torque, Pandora, the phone and Maps is workable, but takes a few minutes to set up once I get into the truck and the most feasible in terms of cost.

Using the pad for gauges only, it's a pain to have the phone and pad and trying to keep everything charged while on a long trip .... you get the idea, just too much stuff to be watching. Maybe different if mounted and already set-up like the scan gauge is, but then someone is always looking to steal your stuff I'm sure.

I think the temp and oil senders are fine, maybe a dirty connection or a loose wire, I'll clean it after it cools down.

Randy

Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks Randy for the evaluation. I just got myself some new glasses (old guy) so I could watch the phone, but it would be so much more fun to put up some nice large gauges -- sounds like a good deal on the Sammy. Don't forget you can set up data logging or alarms if you want to go more single device.

Even with the cost of your pad, Torque is a cheap set-up... I think I'll start watching eBay...