2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan removal instructions needed 5.4l 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 AM
heatseaker1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pan removal instructions needed 5.4l 4x4

What is the best way to remove the oil pan on this truck? 2006 F150 5.4l 3V 4x4. I've seen a couple different methods, one is raising the engine and one is removing suspension components. Is one better or easier than the other? Got complete instructions? I'll be doing this thursday and friday most likely.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM
heatseaker1
New User
Not really. Didn't cover any how to. Actually more time was spent justifying not removing the pan than explaining anything of merit.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM
heatseaker1
New User
Oil pan wasn't that bad to get to. Removed the crossmember and lowered the front axle and with a little finessing it came right out. Nothing to special was needed tool wise except maybe a 3/8 drive universal for the front oil pan bolts. They sit right above the steering shaft housing and weren't the easiest to get to.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM
ojai150
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by heatseaker1
Oil pan wasn't that bad to get to. Removed the crossmember and lowered the front axle and with a little finessing it came right out. Nothing to special was needed tool wise except maybe a 3/8 drive universal for the front oil pan bolts. They sit right above the steering shaft housing and weren't the easiest to get to.
Did you take pictures so as to help the next guy ?

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
bgibbons60
New User
2005 F150 Lariat 4x4
I took mine off about three weeks ago. The 4x4 is a little more in depth than the 4x2, but still not terrible. The method I used is as follows.
-drain the oil (duh)
-my truck has a factory skid plate, which I removed first. I believe it was four bolts
-next is the crossmember. There 4 nuts that need to be removed. They attach to a "u" bolt, one on each side. Remove the crossmember and set it aside.
-the sway bar is the next task. The sway bar does NOT need to be completely removed. Unbolt the rear side( there are 4 attachment points on the sway bar. Only unbolt the middle two.) the sway bar will swing down and out of the way.
- The next step is optional, but will save you time...headaches... and gray hairs. Jack up the front passenger side of the truck, enough to remove the tire. After the tire is out of the way, remove the passenger side rack and pinion nut/bolt. This might sound like a lot, but I promise it is easy. Takes about 5 minutes and makes life so much easier.
-at this point you can unbolt the oil pan. Once it is completely unbolted, you can shift the rack and pinion forward to get the pan out. You may also to need to move the rack and pinion to get the front pan bolts out.
-make sure you get a new pan gasket before reinstall action. Some people use rtv sealant at the front and back of the pan to insure a good seal.
- I had never done this on this model truck and had no directions. It took me about 5 hours to remove everything including the pickup tube, clean, and reinstall. If you have any questions, let me know.

Make sure to use jack stands when raising your truck

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM
penguinshockey
New User
Originally Posted by bgibbons60
2005 F150 Lariat 4x4
I took mine off about three weeks ago. The 4x4 is a little more in depth than the 4x2, but still not terrible.

So you didn't have to remove the front driveshaft and detach and remove the front axle?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Remedy962
New User
So I just did this this weekend cause it would be close to a grand CAD and haven't done anything in my garage yet since I got the house.

This job requires about a flat of beer or 2 good size bottles.

-Take the 4 bolts of the skid plate off.
-Drain the oil.
-Take the 4 bolts for the cross member off
-Take the 2 bolts on each side for the stabilizer bar thing off and grab a vaccume after or the bolts dont seem to sit right. Not a big issue....just a little picky.
-Drop the axel on each side. The drives side has the nut welded to the frame so its not bad but the passenger has a bolt with a metal retaining kinda flange. 13/16 for the stupid nut and 15mm for the bolt.
-On the passenger side undo the 5 bolts for the axle. Deff need a breaker bar or something or your gonna have some hurt hands.
-By now you have finished half the flat of beer.
-Loosen all 16 (Count them often, don't loose them or its gonna suck)
The front 4 bolts under the steering thing are a pain but it you have cheaper socket sets with a tiny ratchet and gear wrenches it isnt all that bad.
-Use a big lining bar or whatever kinda bar you have and from the front of the truck facing towards the passenger pry the axle downwards and use a car jack as a third person to hold pressure on it.
-Take the wires out of the pan, wiggle it out. Carefull of the oil hose thing.
-Clean around the block and on the oil pan.
-Make sure the gasket with the 4 holes is facing the front of the truck.
Simple to read. A lame job to redue.
-Change the oil filter, reassemble. Drink rest of beer.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:32 PM
JamesRay78
1st Gear
U-bolt Sawyer bar.

Originally Posted by bgibbons60
2005 F150 Lariat 4x4
I took mine off about three weeks ago. The 4x4 is a little more in depth than the 4x2, but still not terrible. The method I used is as follows.
-drain the oil (duh)
-my truck has a factory skid plate, which I removed first. I believe it was four bolts
-next is the crossmember. There 4 nuts that need to be removed. They attach to a "u" bolt, one on each side. Remove the crossmember and set it aside.
-the sway bar is the next task. The sway bar does NOT need to be completely removed. Unbolt the rear side( there are 4 attachment points on the sway bar. Only unbolt the middle two.) the sway bar will swing down and out of the way.
- The next step is optional, but will save you time...headaches... and gray hairs. Jack up the front passenger side of the truck, enough to remove the tire. After the tire is out of the way, remove the passenger side rack and pinion nut/bolt. This might sound like a lot, but I promise it is easy. Takes about 5 minutes and makes life so much easier.
-at this point you can unbolt the oil pan. Once it is completely unbolted, you can shift the rack and pinion forward to get the pan out. You may also to need to move the rack and pinion to get the front pan bolts out.
-make sure you get a new pan gasket before reinstall action. Some people use rtv sealant at the front and back of the pan to insure a good seal.
- I had never done this on this model truck and had no directions. It took me about 5 hours to remove everything including the pickup tube, clean, and reinstall. If you have any questions, let me know.

Make sure to use jack stands when raising your truck

What do you mean by the statement "U-bolt the sway
Nevermind duh unbolt is what you said I'm slow

Last edited by JamesRay78; 11-17-2023 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Wrong
Old 12-13-2023, 03:49 PM
BossHog39
Trailering
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
watch this video he is a great tech and I have watched several of his video's and have done the oil pan on two with his procedure and no the axle does not have to be removed and the driver front bolt does not even need to be touched