Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

91 crewcab with SD running gear. Frame off resto build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nono thats just silly.

better shot of the chassis

dont knwo about my pinion anlge though, i used some tapered blocks, should I have used flat ones? Seems its pointed up quite a bit

Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 AM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg5OH
dont knwo about my pinion anlge though, i used some tapered blocks, should I have used flat ones? Seems its pointed up quite a bit
Greg, keep it up man. I'm curious to see how this works, I really am. I've dreamed about an older Ford truck, with a heavier duty frame and better turning radius and braking. I'm curious with the stiffer frame, and better braking capabilities, if this hybrid was looked over by somebody who could calculate ratings, how much higher GCWR this thing would have.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarJesus
Greg, keep it up man. I'm curious to see how this works, I really am. I've dreamed about an older Ford truck, with a heavier duty frame and better turning radius and braking. I'm curious with the stiffer frame, and better braking capabilities, if this hybrid was looked over by somebody who could calculate ratings, how much higher GCWR this thing would have.
You need to learn to delete pics when quoting someone.

As for the GVW. It will vary by state. Here in PA, it can never be more than what the door jam sticker says

Old 08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
^from what I understand I do believe in most areas its what the door sticker says. Im sure the new 06 f350s have a higher rating than my 91, but Im not about that with this truck.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:04 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You need to learn to delete pics when quoting someone.
There you go Brad.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
oh boy oh boy got some goodies today.

6.0 intercooler, 44 gal excursion tank, JB fab hand throttle, JB fab twin stick cable shifter with 48" of cable, Keeper ****** strap.

yup it will be a mission to get this tank up there behind the axle...i might slide the entire receiver hitch 3-4" forward, so i can have room right as the back of the frame to add a brace. This will also give me clearance to run my rail lift gate (if i decide on it).
And I will need to fab another crossmember to fit around this excursion tank. Definitly trying to tuck it up as high as it can go.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
took the rear crossmemebrs out. approx mounted height. need to check once i have the bed on.
Going to make a holder/skid plate for it out of some 16 gauge sheet and a frame made from some 1" angle iron to give it rigidity. The tank will be held sindie this cage with some 3m double sided tape, ro some kind of non water holding foam to keep it from getting rashed.

but have strongly been considering making a wooden flatbed..

Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
not much happening at the moment, ordered a socket for the nut on the np205 transfer case yokes,

picked up a front 06 driveshaft for 50 bucks,
got cat yellow paint for the drivetrain, metalshield came in,
turbo blanket came in,
got my metal for the fuel tank skid plate,
2 missing body mounts came in so i can order the stainless bodymount hardware and rear 1/2" bolts that hold the shocks.
Going to run the rear brakeline and the front brake line on the axles today
sending unit and lock ring for the excursion tank also came in.

so my chassis is basically donne minus wiring and brake line and fuel line. . Bolting up the tow bar on monday to transport it to my new house which I am renting while waiting for short sale approval..damn these short sales suck!

Picking up a 60 gal husky pro 220v 10 cfm@90psi compressor today or tomorrow to do my sandblasting with. Tear down of the truck will commence 2nd week of september.

First weekend gotta go bakc to canada to get my gantry crane my dad has been putting otgether for me and grab my 220v welder. Probably going to ship my dad in to the satates with me so he can help with wiring up the garage with 220 and just lend a hand with general truck stuff. Monday or tuesday (sept 8) the body and cab should be coming off!

What is a good and inexpensive electric lift pump? Wondering if i can run the lift pump in series with the mech lift pump? Or i saw somewhere a guy ran it in parallel?

Also, gotta order up a new Tstat, valve cover gaskets, and coolant filter!

and as riot said, this is now unrealistic, or i should say-no budget. I recall saying like 3k..just my roller alone was 4k with new wheels and tires, and i dont even want to get into how much ive spent on all the toher items..oh well, ims still convinced its cheaper than a newish truck, and most importantly I BUILT it, which gives me the most pleasure.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
emspjay
Mountain Pass
Short sales do suck but are worth it! My brother purchased his house on short sale and got a great deal! You will for sure have a lot less money into your truck when it is done vs buying a used newer truck. And the best part it is YOUR truck built the way YOU want it!

That's why I fixed up my new to me 1990 F250. I now have a 3/4 ton truck with 70k original miles done the way I want with what I wanted on it. I paid $1600 for it and I only got about $5000 total into it.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
thanks emp. How long did your brother wait for it to go thru? Im around 80 days right now-and no word from the bank. They kinda effed me, they are putting natural gas lines in, and deadline to hookup before winter is sept1st. Now ill have to wait till the spring to get hooked up, grrr.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM
emspjay
Mountain Pass
That is horrible about the gas lines. My brothers place took 90 or 100 days. They got so sick of not hearing anything, they where about to put a offer in on another house and then they finally got a call and confirmation that the short sale was theirs.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM
ngjfhj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondeirng if I can use the 05 steering box on my frame? My box is shot would be nice if i could reuse this one.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
i cant answer that. TBH, that, and the trac bar is what caused me to drop 750 bucks on a frame lol. Worried about a days worth of fab work (if even needed).

And the time saved too!. Now that i have money, I have no time. Back when I had no money, I had literally all day to tinker.

can you show me a pic of the bolt pattern of the old box? My new box is already mounted and dont want to take it off, but I can at least give you a visual confirmation if its even close.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Greg5OH
Posting Guru
so tried towing it with the towbar., Wont track. guess theyre not enough weight on the front so the wheels do whatever they want. Had to flatbed it to new house.

frame actually looks pretty dinky with those 37s under it

Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg5OH
so tried towing it with the towbar., Wont track. guess theyre not enough weight on the front so the wheels do whatever they want. Had to flatbed it to new house.
Alignment (especially caster) is actually pretty important for flat towing. I'm guessing you haven't bothered to get it aligned yet. If you don't have enough caster it won't steer right when towing. When I got my Bronco the PO actually had it set up with negative caster. Surprisingly it drove well, but the steering predictable went to opposite lock when flat towing. Short term I resolved that by tieing the steering wheel off to keep it from turning at all. Eventually I got the alignment corrected and now it tows fine.

And a tow dolly might have been another option before a flatbed. But it's too late for that now

Quick Reply: 91 crewcab with SD running gear. Frame off resto build.