Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 or 4.2 V6 engine
SPONSORED BY:
Click HereAdvertisement

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
A spark plug just came out by itself...

I do not know anything about engines or mechanics, so pardon the awkward descriptions. I have a buncha questions.

I started up the truck to pull out of a store, and I heard a pop or bang from under the right side of the truck, and then the engine started chuffing. It kinda sounded like a motorcycle with open headers. I shut it off right away and looked for any obvious damage but there wasn't any. There were no engine fault lights or anything. I started it up and it ran with this chuffing noise. from the driver's seat it sounded like I was on a motorcycle.

Drove it home the 10 miles, chuffing all the way and watching the gauges. The gauges never showed anything but normal, but the truck was a little sluggish.

Pullled into the driveway and shut it off to cool. After an hour or so I looked really closely but couldn't see anything obvious. I started it up with the hood open. The chuffing was coming from the top of the engine, on the passenger side, and when I passed my hand over it, I could feel a breeze in time with the chuffing. I shut it off and inspected again. Now I would see a spring poking out from under a rubber boot sticking in the top of the engine.

I got on the web and determined that I was looking at a COP unit, so I managed to remove the bolt securing it and the boot that covers the plug was all chewed up. I could see the plug way down inside and it looked good, but why was I feeling a breeze? I started it again, now I could really feel a breeze, and the plug was gone! I found it under the truck. The threads don't look like the plug was forced out of the hole.

I think I can just replace the plug and COP. Would that be the only thing I need to do? Or should I just get it into a mechanic?
Click the image to open in full size.


BUT, I'm alone with only one vehicle. And I'm about 10 miles out of town. Can I drive it enough to get parts, or will I further mess something up? I'll wait for my wife to come home in a few days If I must.

Advice needed please.

Many thanks, F150 gurus.
Creach
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 AM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creach View Post
I do not know anything about engines or mechanics, so pardon the awkward descriptions. I have a buncha questions.

I started up the truck to pull out of a store, and I heard a pop or bang from under the right side of the truck, and then the engine started chuffing. It kinda sounded like a motorcycle with open headers. I shut it off right away and looked for any obvious damage but there wasn't any. There were no engine fault lights or anything. I started it up and it ran with this chuffing noise. from the driver's seat it sounded like I was on a motorcycle.

Drove it home the 10 miles, chuffing all the way and watching the gauges. The gauges never showed anything but normal, but the truck was a little sluggish.

Pullled into the driveway and shut it off to cool. After an hour or so I looked really closely but couldn't see anything obvious. I started it up with the hood open. The chuffing was coming from the top of the engine, on the passenger side, and when I passed my hand over it, I could feel a breeze in time with the chuffing. I shut it off and inspected again. Now I would see a spring poking out from under a rubber boot sticking in the top of the engine.

I got on the web and determined that I was looking at a COP unit, so I managed to remove the bolt securing it and the boot that covers the plug was all chewed up. I could see the plug way down inside and it looked good, but why was I feeling a breeze? I started it again, now I could really feel a breeze, and the plug was gone! I found it under the truck. The threads don't look like the plug was forced out of the hole.

I think I can just replace the plug and COP. Would that be the only thing I need to do? Or should I just get it into a mechanic?
Click the image to open in full size.


BUT, I'm alone with only one vehicle. And I'm about 10 miles out of town. Can I drive it enough to get parts, or will I further mess something up? I'll wait for my wife to come home in a few days If I must.

Advice needed please.

Many thanks, F150 gurus.
Creach
What year , and what size engine is this ? I think you could just screw in a new plug and put on a new coil , and not look back , how many miles on it ?

get a socket that holds the new plug securely , and very carefully try to screw it in , making sure it is not cross threading ,. let us know what happens ,

The reason I asked is typically what we see are the '04 to '08 5.4 plugs with the shield on the end , your does not have this .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Darn. I was in such a hurry to post that I forgot the *really important* stuff.

2005 4.6l with 111,000 miles.

Thanks. Do you think I can drive it the 10 miles into town?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:21 AM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creach View Post
Darn. I was in such a hurry to post that I forgot the *really important* stuff.

2005 4.6l with 111,000 miles.

Thanks. Do you think I can drive it the 10 miles into town?
If the threads look ok on the plug that came out , maybe just put it back in , tighten it , and drive to town and get a new COP and a new plug .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay, thanks! That makes me feel much better.

But I've forgotten another important fact: my tools are in storage. 10 miles away, and I have NO way to install the plug.

If it can be driven with the spark plug removed, then I'm good.

Otherwise I wait for my wife to bring the car.

Creach
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 AM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creach View Post
Okay, thanks! That makes me feel much better.

But I've forgotten another important fact: my tools are in storage. 10 miles away, and I have NO way to install the plug.

If it can be driven with the spark plug removed, then I'm good.

Otherwise I wait for my wife to bring the car.

Creach
Well , its not normally done , but I guess if you drove it 10 miles home , you can drive it 10 miles to the parts house .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
OOOkay. Big thanks.

And I'll report back here tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Creach
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 83
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wonder if they are using the same heads as the 2002 5.4l ?
I had a plug blow and it stripped the thread in the head......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Wonder if they are using the same heads as the 2002 5.4l ?
I had a plug blow and it stripped the thread in the head......
Good question ,...please let us know what you find out , so we can share .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
I certainly will.

I noticed the caution in your later post ("Well , its not normally done..."), ojai150, and decided to wait for my wife.

Better to do it completely right than only partially right. This'll cut down on the number of possible repercussions, as well as make a positive outcome a LOT more likely.

Many thanks, and stay tuned for more developments.

Creach
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
1saxman's Avatar
1saxman 1saxman is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 556
1saxman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Plugs sometimes just come out. I would replace them all, but at least you should check the others to make sure they're not loose. Don't over tighten. Anyone who walks or rides a bicycle has seen countless spark plugs on the road, particularly at intersections.
__________________
2007 F-150 V6 5-Speed Manual
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Creach Creach is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Creach is starting off with a positive reputation.
Today I was able to borrow some tools, and get a lift in to a parts store. I bought a new plug and a new boot for the coil. I was so very hopeful.

The plug does NOT seat. The 5/8 socket with extension goes the same distance into the hole whether or not I put the plug into it. I'd bet good money that the hole is stripped.

I found a Ford dealer nearby that'll fix it for $100. Wednesday I take it in. I've read that it's so easy to recut the threads, but I just don't wanna take the chance. I'm a total noob and I have zero tools or experience.

Stay tuned.
Creach
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 PM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creach View Post
Today I was able to borrow some tools, and get a lift in to a parts store. I bought a new plug and a new boot for the coil. I was so very hopeful.

The plug does NOT seat. The 5/8 socket with extension goes the same distance into the hole whether or not I put the plug into it. I'd bet good money that the hole is stripped.

I found a Ford dealer nearby that'll fix it for $100. Wednesday I take it in. I've read that it's so easy to recut the threads, but I just don't wanna take the chance. I'm a total noob and I have zero tools or experience.

Stay tuned.
Creach
Sounds like you made a good call,...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-08-2014, 03:19 AM
Byooty's Avatar
Byooty Byooty is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Melbourne Au
Posts: 83
Byooty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Until I bought this truck I have never lost a spark plug and thats in over 40 years of having vehicles, so to say that they just fall out is ridiculous.

Falling out, or popping out is just bad engineering....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
ojai150 ojai150 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 355
ojai150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byooty View Post
Until I bought this truck I have never lost a spark plug and thats in over 40 years of having vehicles, so to say that they just fall out is ridiculous.

Falling out, or popping out is just bad engineering....
Maybe the last guy that tightened it , was just an idiot ??

You make it sound like Fords are dangerous to be near when they are running , as sparkplugs could shoot out at ant moment ,....
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chuffing jp1096 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2 12-04-2013 06:57 PM
Just changed my 5.4 plugs at 84k, sharing my experience with others vze2sgxa Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) 20 08-08-2008 07:32 PM
New Cops walterk15 Expedition & Navigator 9 04-26-2007 07:48 PM
Sick Sounding V-10 Munkey Modular V10 (6.8l) 2 08-05-2006 12:37 PM
Turbo noise scvalone 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 0 06-07-2003 07:40 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F150

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup