2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo/GPS/Sat.compatible recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM
bcuz1998
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo/GPS/Sat.compatible recommendations?

Hi all,
I just purchased a 2006 F150 XLT Super Crew. I'm looking to replace the factory stereo with an aftermarket one or maybe something from a different, but compatible vehicle. It has to have the following features:
GPS, satellite ready, blue tooth, possibly back up camera.

Anyone have something with these features and how do you like it...model, etc?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM
P-Bod
New User
About 3 months ago, I installed a Kenwood DNX570HD to replace the factory unit. It's a great upgrade with NAV and Bluetooth. I also installed the module that allows you to keep the steering wheel controls, and connected it to the factory sub-woofer. I did not connect a back-up camera, but it has this option.

This unit has been updated (571, I think) which improves the tiny clock in the top-right of the screen, and it looks like they've changed up the overall interface a bit. The dim settings are also difficult to impossible to find...touch and hold the bottom-left corner of the screen for options.

I really like the improvement this unit made. It's like having a brand new truck with all the bells & whistles.

Kenwood DNX570HD

Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM
bcuz1998
Junior User
That looks sharp! How did you locate the GPS and satellite antennas? Where did you purchase from?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 PM
MikeAF93
New User
I put in a pioneer DVD deck with the backup camera and bluetooth. Deck is the AVH-2400bt, you can add a GPS module, HD Radio module, backup camera and sirius or XM. Also controls pandora and ipods through the screen. different pioneer models have more modules included in the unit.
Camera was a "crimestopper" model specifically for installation in the tailgate handle and you can turn the guidelines on/off. As you can see, trailer hookup easy with it.
Deck was $299 from crutchfield with all the harnesses and installation gear, camera was $89 from walmart online.
The kenwoods have a much better price for the GPS equipped units (wish I had seen them first). The pioneers GPS/traffic add on module alone for this deck (AVIC-U250 or U-260) is at least $300, XM radio module (GEX P-90) is about $100 if you shop around. You'll Also need a harness for steering wheel controls. Bluetooth phone works great, always clear.
If you want to install a camera in the tailgate handle it is pretty easy, entire installation took less than an hour. you don't even have to drill in the body to run the wires to the cab, there is a rubber dust cover/grommet at the drivers side rear of the cab that you can run the cables through and access the wiring harness. Only drilling will be in the handle opposite the key opening (after you remove the handle from the tailgate).

Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM
bcuz1998
Junior User
That Pioneer looks good too, but I want one that has all of the extras I want already in the unit. I know I'll be adding the XM separate and the camera. My truck doesn't have the steering wheel controls.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:44 AM
P-Bod
New User
Here are pictures of the GPS and mic installation. I don't use satellite radio (I quit paying for the subscription long ago). I bought mine and all the accessories at my local Best Buy where they had everything in stock and the Car Audio dude helped make sure I had what I needed. Crutchfield also has a really good online site where you can enter your vehicle, and it will let you pick and choose from units that will fit and the required accessories.

Mic mounted at top-left.

GPS antenna mounted in front of tray

GPS antenna wire routed through defrost duct.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:33 PM
bigunit54
Elder User
How did you run the wire for the Bluetooth mic? Does it plug to the back of the unit?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
MikeAF93
New User
The bluetooth mic plugs in with a headphone-like jack to the back of these stereos. You just have to disassemble the dash a little and cable tie the wire to a wiring harness so it doesn't droop into the footwell. Then you can run it up the pillar along with the wires for the overhead lights and compass.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:09 PM
jgoedker
Freshman User
I've had two Pioneer Avic's. First in my 99 Super Duty, which I finally and reluctantly left go after 14 years and 355k miles. (Miss that truck) That Avic was installed in 01 at approx. 60k. It had every gadget attached that was available. And that was about everything you could ask for. The truck was used almost exclusively in cross country trips and the GPS maps were always accurate and helpful. The truck sat many nights in cold -30 Minnesota nights, and it's share of 110 degree Phoenix heat. It still operates as it did the day I installed it. I say this because I have heard many of these units are susceptible to heat and cold. I can say Pioneer's apparently are not.

The second is a X940BT in my F150. To be honest, I'm not as excided with this unit as the first. Fully touch screen. I have large fingers so it does get a bit clumsy at times. There is no need to install the GPS antenna outside of the vehicle or dash. Just tuck it under inside just making sure no metal is between it and the stars. Mine has always worked fine located completely out of sight. And, no drilling. The mike ended up on top of the steering column. It seems to work best there and is definitely the easiest place to install it.

I'm sure the other brands would be just as good, but I can attest to the Pioneer for durability and functions. I think they all look very similar installed. I did no install the back up camera this time as I seldom used it anyway. Never trusted it I guess and it and for me it did little for hooking trailers. I do enjoy the new units Bluetooth streaming capability which I stream XM from my phone. Saves me a subscription. Although it is a bit tricky to connect sometimes. The steering wheel function should be thought out. I spent the money for the module but I seldom use it anyway. It's just as easy to reach over and turn the ****. I think that was a waste of $60 bucks.

I bought the unit locally from a private party, had Best Buy install it as it's way to hot in Florida to do this outdoors. I have approx. $500 invested. So shop around and save some money.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
bcuz1998
Junior User
Thanks for all of the great information! My truck doesn't have the steering wheel controls, so that's not an issue for me. I'm wanting one that has all of the features I listed already integrated into the unit if possible.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 PM
jgoedker
Freshman User
With the Pioneer AVIC models, I can't think what gadget is not offered. As I said I'm sure other brands do the same. It's just a matter of adding the necessary components. Most functions don't require any but Sirius and traffic does for sure. The function I use the most is the micro memory card. Copy your music, video's, screen splashes or whatever. You can literally copy hundreds of songs to the card and play them easily. The hands free phone is adequate but I think that may depend a lot on your cell phone. The voice commands never really worked for me as apparently my voice is too deep. The DVD movies play well however the screen is small. And who wants to watch a movie while the parking brake is on. A quick visit to You Tube improves that issue. Not that I recommend it. Most of all, the sound from these units is what you would expect from a high end player.

Like I said, shop around. I found both of mine on Craigslist for a very reasonable price. Again just be careful who you buy it from. Many folks trade cars and have similar units installed from the factory and they usually remove and sell the units prior to trading the car. You will need to buy a harness to simplify the install. Best Buy will install it for a couple of hundred bucks if you don't want to tackle it. Don't expect to watch movies or change routes while driving down the road as they won't do that. However this model of F150 is very easy to work on. Again, You Tube has several install video's to help you. This is without a doubt the best upgrade I ever made to a vehicle. Also, Best Buy will reinstall your old radio when you sell the car for free should you decide to keep it. Enjoy.