Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
SVO/WVO kits

So I'm gonna be getting an SVO/WVO kit in the near future.

Would anyone share their personal (not your friend's friend) experience with any of the kits out there?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 AM
kirkharrod's Avatar
kirkharrod kirkharrod is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 508
kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a greasecar kit. I have had it 6 years and 100,000 miles and I have had no problem with it at all. There are more expensive, and more efficient systems, but the greasecar kit has worked great for me.

#1 piece of advice:

Before you buy a kit, collect AT LEAST 300 gallons of waste vegetable oil. Then de-water, filter and store it. This will let you know if you (and your family) can handle the TIME, MESS, SMELL, ETC. that waste vegetable oil entails. WVO can be hard/impossible to find in some areas. Make sure you have oil sources (notice I said SOURCES!) Oil sources come and go, you'll be surprised.
__________________
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 300,000 miles!!!, 100,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkharrod View Post
I have a greasecar kit. I have had it 6 years and 100,000 miles and I have had no problem with it at all. There are more expensive, and more efficient systems, but the greasecar kit has worked great for me.

#1 piece of advice:

Before you buy a kit, collect AT LEAST 300 gallons of waste vegetable oil. Then de-water, filter and store it. This will let you know if you (and your family) can handle the TIME, MESS, SMELL, ETC. that waste vegetable oil entails. WVO can be hard/impossible to find in some areas. Make sure you have oil sources (notice I said SOURCES!) Oil sources come and go, you'll be surprised.
That's great advice. Some of the online videos I've seen definitely corroborate your experiences. Thanks for the comprehensive post.
What are your thoughts on Golden Fuel Systems' portable "one shot unit"?
I'm hoping to get away with not having to store too much & just run regular old diesel when/if I don't have too many sources.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM
genscripter's Avatar
genscripter genscripter is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 740
genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
don't get seduced by the on-board filtration or the quick-filtration schemes. They don't get rid of the water in the oil. They will claim "aqua-block" or other water repelling garbage, but in the end, it won't extract the submerged water.

Quote:
"I'm hoping to get away with not having to store too much"
That's not really an option. You should obtain your source and store your unfiltered oil for weeks or months to let it settle. Just like Kirkharrod said, you should have 300 gallons of oil on your premises. If you hate it right away, then abandon the WVO project. If you can somewhat tolerate it, then abandon the WVO project. If you like pumping your own grease, then you might want to read up on kits for a few weeks and do your research.

If you find it even a little annoying pumping and storing oil now, wait until you spill a cubes-worth of oil in the back seat of your car or have to scrape the underside of your truck with Purple Power after a hose leak?

I did three DIY kits, and the closest brand would be similar to a Frybrid Kit.

Which 7.3 do you have? What year? That could help with advice for your potential kit. And what's your budget? Lots of people want to get into greasing cuz they think it's cheap, but initially, it's quite the expense to build and install a WVO kit in a car. Don't cut corners with your kit and your installation, otherwise a busted IP or engine will result.
__________________
1988 Ford E250 Club Wagon | 7.3 IDI + RD2-90cc IP + Hypermax Van Turbo Kit | C6+GVOD w/ MaxOD Deep Sump & Electric Temp Probe | Wrapped Pipes & Turbo w/ Auber Instrument EGT/Boost Gauge | 4" Dia. Alum Driveshaft | 4.10 Gears | 32-gal Custom Alum fuel tank w/ Centroid sending unit | NAPA Coolant Filter | Michelin LRR 16" treads | Chrome Warn Winch Bumper | 115W PV Array | Brass Heatercore shutoff valves | Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer | Synthetic Lube all-around.
1998 Jetta TDI.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
don't get seduced by the on-board filtration or the quick-filtration schemes. They don't get rid of the water in the oil. They will claim "aqua-block" or other water repelling garbage, but in the end, it won't extract the submerged water.
Wow, awesome post. Very informative. Thanks!

Can you define "submerged water"? Do you mean it stratifies?
If so, wouldn't not dipping the hose too far down into the source container prevent sucking up water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
That's not really an option. You should obtain your source and store your unfiltered oil for weeks or months to let it settle. Just like Kirkharrod said, you should have 300 gallons of oil on your premises. If you hate it right away, then abandon the WVO project. If you can somewhat tolerate it, then abandon the WVO project. If you like pumping your own grease, then you might want to read up on kits for a few weeks and do your research.
If you find it even a little annoying pumping and storing oil now, wait until you spill a cubes-worth of oil in the back seat of your car or have to scrape the underside of your truck with Purple Power after a hose leak?
How much do those cube containers hold? There's a standard size right? I've got an old trailer that I could load however many cubes I'll need on and tote them over to my source(s). How many will I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
Which 7.3 do you have? What year? That could help with advice for your potential kit. And what's your budget? Lots of people want to get into greasing cuz they think it's cheap, but initially, it's quite the expense to build and install a WVO kit in a car. Don't cut corners with your kit and your installation, otherwise a busted IP or engine will result.
Well, I'm not going to do it with my current 7.3 for multiple reasons. I'm actually in the market for another diesel truck. I'm looking at either getting another 7.3 -because I know they're beasts that'll withstand abuse or maybe something else...
As far as cost, I'm willing to get dirty -I've actually got a fairly dirty job- & invest whatever it'll take to get me started. In the long-run I hope to save a lot.
So I'm looking at a kit $2500-3500
installation $1500 if I don't end up doing it myself.
What would do these storage cubes cost?
What else will I need to acquire/buy?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2014, 12:58 PM
kirkharrod's Avatar
kirkharrod kirkharrod is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 508
kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3dieselMike View Post
Wow, awesome post. Very informative. Thanks!

Can you define "submerged water"? Do you mean it stratifies?
If so, wouldn't not dipping the hose too far down into the source container prevent sucking up water?


How much do those cube containers hold? There's a standard size right? I've got an old trailer that I could load however many cubes I'll need on and tote them over to my source(s). How many will I need?


Well, I'm not going to do it with my current 7.3 for multiple reasons. I'm actually in the market for another diesel truck. I'm looking at either getting another 7.3 -because I know they're beasts that'll withstand abuse or maybe something else...
As far as cost, I'm willing to get dirty -I've actually got a fairly dirty job- & invest whatever it'll take to get me started. In the long-run I hope to save a lot.
So I'm looking at a kit $2500-3500
installation $1500 if I don't end up doing it myself.
What would do these storage cubes cost?
What else will I need to acquire/buy?

Thanks in advance.
He is talking about water that is locked in tiny food particles that are floating in the oil. This water is much harder to remove than free water. Free water is not a problem. It is the water molecules that are locked up in the oil chemically that is the problem for "water block" filters.
__________________
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 300,000 miles!!!, 100,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkharrod View Post
He is talking about water that is locked in tiny food particles that are floating in the oil. This water is much harder to remove than free water. Free water is not a problem. It is the water molecules that are locked up in the oil chemically that is the problem for "water block" filters.
So this "locked up water" settles to the bottom when stored? This is why traveling long distances & gather WVO without letting it settle is not recommended?
Some folks, on the forums & on YouTube videos seem to be traveling long distances seemingly without issues. Are these folks just not aware of issues that they are gradually creating that they will discover the hard way later on? Are they lucky? Are they being untruthful?
It seems to me that free/inexpensive fuel is just too good to be true. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% sure I'm gonna try WVO out. I just want to gather as much info as possible before hand.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM
kirkharrod's Avatar
kirkharrod kirkharrod is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 508
kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes the pieces of food will drop to the bottom eventually, but that process can be sped up by heating and settling the oil.
__________________
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 300,000 miles!!!, 100,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
kirkharrod's Avatar
kirkharrod kirkharrod is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 508
kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3dieselMike View Post
So this "locked up water" settles to the bottom when stored? This is why traveling long distances & gather WVO without letting it settle is not recommended?
Some folks, on the forums & on YouTube videos seem to be traveling long distances seemingly without issues. Are these folks just not aware of issues that they are gradually creating that they will discover the hard way later on? Are they lucky? Are they being untruthful?
It seems to me that free/inexpensive fuel is just too good to be true. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% sure I'm gonna try WVO out. I just want to gather as much info as possible before hand.
Thanks.
You don't often hear about the failures. Those people generally don't report that they killed their engine on message boards.
__________________
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 300,000 miles!!!, 100,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2014, 11:35 AM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

Has anyone ever heard of Green Eye Autos out of Oregon? If so, any experience/opinions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Orpackrat Orpackrat is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 384
Orpackrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cubies are just shy of 4.5 gallons, I have a 330 gallon tote for my clean oil ready for use, got about 40 gallons till empty so I can move it around.

Got a 275 gallon tote and its been sitting for over a month and with all the junk settling at the bottom, about 110 gallons oil ready for processing.

Since I get my wvo from work, I have my processor set up there with 50 gallon barrels for settling of the
Dirtier oil before transfering to my main settling 275 gallon tote, (half fullof good oil). I pump off the top with my homemade drill chevy oil pump and into an elevated 275 gallon tote
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Orpackrat Orpackrat is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 384
Orpackrat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where the mostly clean oil gravity feeds into a WVO designs raw power centrifuge will all the upgrades including the heating element that heats the oil to 250* to boil it out.

If I accidentally get some dirtier oil in ready to process tank, I slow production to 5 gallons an hr, cleaner oil to 10 gallons an hr.

Works great.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM
rasmith3530's Avatar
rasmith3530 rasmith3530 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 15
rasmith3530 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone here used a water heater as their oil storage tank? I did this when I had my '86 300D-T Benz. At the time, the problem I ran into was finding time for oil collection. Working overtime, a 50 mile one way commute through Chicago area traffic, and regular responsibilities at home were not conducive to free time for collection/filtering duties. These days, I have more time, and just picked up a '92 F-250 7.3 IDI.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
7.3dieselMike 7.3dieselMike is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
7.3dieselMike is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
Has anyone here used a water heater as their oil storage tank? I did this when I had my '86 300D-T Benz. At the time, the problem I ran into was finding time for oil collection. Working overtime, a 50 mile one way commute through Chicago area traffic, and regular responsibilities at home were not conducive to free time for collection/filtering duties. These days, I have more time, and just picked up a '92 F-250 7.3 IDI.
Chicago sounds like a cold climate. How'd your truck run on veg?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM
rasmith3530's Avatar
rasmith3530 rasmith3530 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 15
rasmith3530 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I haven't converted the truck yet, as I just got it, and I have a few more pressing matters on it, mainly, power brake assist. The Mercedes ran fine so long as I fired it up and shut it down on dino diesel fuel. I had a two gallon tank under the hood for said purpose. I ran the WVO in the vehicle's stock tank, using a custom heated fuel pickup. Fuel then traveled to the engine compartment inside a heater hose, with a VW heated oil filter put into service as the WVO's final filtering media before entering the IP. Lines from the IP to the injectors had tape heaters. Like my new truck's 7.3 IDI, the 3.0L 5 cylinder engine powering the Benz sedan was a pre-chamber, straight mechanical diesel motor.
__________________
2000 Ranger XLT 4dr Ext Cab 4x4 3.0FFV Auto
1992 F250 XLT Reg Cab 2WD 7.3L IDI Drop Gate Flare Side Shortbed
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:19 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to F-T 7.3dieselMike New Member Introductions 4 07-08-2014 04:34 PM
2002 7.3 WVO Tuner Advice CanadianBlake Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 2 10-28-2013 02:18 AM
Miles running SVO/WVO TxFordGuy Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 3 05-16-2011 10:35 AM
Anyone using GreaseCar with DP Tuner MikeWorcester911 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 11 03-02-2010 12:44 PM
Svo/wvo on a road trip? Early death for IP? bio-d Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 0 08-04-2006 06:15 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup