1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Having electrical questions (engine bay)

Old 07-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Socal250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having electrical questions (engine bay)

I posted this question on another forum, kinda takes a while to get response and I'm wanting to get my truck up and running!!

Issue, I bought the truck and drove it home, it died twice on the way home, turns out the battery was no good. I decided to buy a new battery and alternator, tune up parts (plugs,wires,cap,rotor etc... The electrical in this thing was bad... The people I bought the truck from just kinda jerry rigged this thing and did the absolute bare minimum to get this thing to run.

The alternator is from a 77 bronco. The 69 ford f 250 alternator didn't have that 2 prong bulkhead connection.

It also had an ammeter next to the solenoid and some 3 prong bulkhead that connects to some regulator looking thing.

This thing had all sorta of wires just twisted together! After putting the car back together again I tried to turn it on and nothing, no lights no power... 0

So I of course figured something was wrong, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures before I took the wires apart.

So know I have wiring diagrams for a 69 ford f250 and one for a 77 bronco. As weird as it sounds they both somehow seem to fuse together but there's definitely parts where they're seems to be no relation to each other.

I will post some pictures of my set up. After looking at the diagrams I'm sure it's set up incorrect

Old 07-05-2014, 12:24 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That three terminal connector is for the horn relay.

There should be a thick black wiremwithna yellowtrace that supplies cab power... it should be on the batter side of the start solenoid...

Sorry 'bout the typos... dang tablet is tiny!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
+2 to what HIO said. You don't have the wire attached to the solenoid that sends constant power into the cab. I goes where the cable from the batter is connected too.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Socal250
Freshman User
See that's where I'm confused.... My wiring harness is a little wired... It has the black wire with the yellow line but it goes from the cab, out to linking little plastic wire connector where it splits to a in line fuse wire that connects to a bulkhead on the harness that has a wire to the voltage regulator, the voltage regulator has a yellow wire that also goes to the little plastic wire connector that has the black with yellow stripe wire, and then there's a solid black wire, and then there a yellow wire. I take it the yellow wire goes to the solenoid?

Also on the alternator according to a wiring diagram (77 bronco) it says that not the orange wire but the white wire goes to the electric choke? But mine has a manual choke so do I maybe just cap that wire off?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Here's a picture from my untouched 68 F350. Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Socal250
Freshman User
alright so i got everything hooked up, and i have no power without the keys inserted into the truck. so no lights.

with the keys in set to the on position, the truck has power. I turned on the key on the engine began to crank, i thought cool! it hasnt been turned on in almost a month so i pumped a few times and then thought hmm... probably need to pour a little gas down the carb. so i turn the key to try and shut it off and the sucker is still cranking!! tried it twice, still just cranking. so I went out and i pulled the black battery cable off... i then tried to put it back on and the truck began to crank again!!! so i went inside and i just kinda turned the key back and fourth and then i tried to hook the battery cable back again and it did nothing.

im thinking maybe something is up with the ignition switch? as for how i hooked it up im going to have to draw a picture because my wiring harness is weird!

any ideas?

Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
disconnect the start wire from the solenoid after it sticks with the starter turning. if it continues to turn it is a sticking solenoid. if it stops, it is in the harness(probably the switch plug area) or the switch itself.

That is what I would test first. also just to be on the safe side, make sure the wire from the ignition to crank is on the correct post.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Socal250
Freshman User
Alright well, it did it again. I was able to turn the truck off and on all day. Then I go to try to start the truck again like a week later and it does it again. Except this time the engine kicked on but it continued to try and crank it. So rush over to pull the battery wire. So I go an out the key in the off position and then I try to put that battery wire back on and the engine tries to crank, for that split second that I let the wire touch the battery. And of course a spark on the terminal. So I again go and try and jiggle the ignition switch with the key and I try to connect the battery wire and again the same thing! So I'm kinda at a loss now...

As for trying to start the truck again. When you say the starter wire on the solenoid do you mean the S terminal on the solenoid?

Thanks trying to get this thing up and running!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Socal250
Freshman User
He ignition to crank post that's the I on the solenoid?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are describing a bad solenoid. I think China struck you with the new part. Happens a lot around here. Bad out of the box.
If you have an ohmmeter and the starter hangs up again, pluck the battery cable and the S and I wires and check for continuity through the solenoid. A hung solenoid will indicate short.