Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Senior User

FordLou is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 F150 ABS activates when shouldn't

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a situation about 50% of the time when driving and apply the brakes to slow down and stop. When I’ve slowed down to about 5 mph, the ABS will activate until I stop completely. No slick road surface or sewer covers. No turning. Just driving straight on dry pavement. Any ideas what is going on and how I need to approach repairing this annoying situation? Thanks for any thoughts.

Lou
Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 AM
New User

Marty N Debbie Sapp is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is the light comming on or can you feel it kick in.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty N Debbie Sapp View Post
Is the light comming on or can you feel it kick in.
I can feel it kick in under foot. Have not seen the light on.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Senior User

73fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like you may have one bad wheel speed sensor and/or wiring. Does it have 4 wheel ABS?

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup
Old 07-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fan View Post
Sounds like you may have one bad wheel speed sensor and/or wiring. Does it have 4 wheel ABS?

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup
I believe it's rear wheel ABS only but I need to call the dealer Monday to check for sure. I have rear drum and front disc. What is involved in replacing one of these for drum and for disc?
Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
It would be unusual for a 99 to be RABS. Most likely, it's 4WABS. Look at your front spindles to see if there's a wiring harness going to each of them.

Most likely, you have a dirty/corroded sensor, a cracked tone ring, a damaged wire harness or a worn front wheel bearing that's causing an erratic signal from one of the sensors.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
It would be unusual for a 99 to be RABS. Most likely, it's 4WABS. Look at your front spindles to see if there's a wiring harness going to each of them.

Most likely, you have a dirty/corroded sensor, a cracked tone ring, a damaged wire harness or a worn front wheel bearing that's causing an erratic signal from one of the sensors.
Is there any easy way to isolate which wheel corner has the issue?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
You will need an assistant to do one of the tasks.

Select a safe area such as a gravel-covered drive or lot.
Driving at about 10 mph, apply the brakes sharply so as to cause either one of the front or both of the rears to lock up. Repeat several times observing to see if one front wheel (or both rear wheels) locks consistently.
The front wheel that locks indicates a sensor problem on that side or, if both rear wheels lock, the problem will be with the rear diff sensor.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Senior User

All you have to do is look. I saw the wiring for the front wheel sensors and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?
Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Posting Guru

Torky2 has a good reputation on FTE.Torky2 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordLou View Post
...............and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?
Yup, that's it.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordLou View Post
All you have to do is look. I saw the wiring for the front wheel sensors and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?
If the rear end sensor requires replacement, does it require tearing the rear end open to do it? Also, are there any other parts of the ABS system located at either of the rear wheels or is it all at the differential housing?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Post Fiend

The 99 only the single sensor on top and the ring gear inside for the rear wheels. Check the sensor first since getting to the ring gear is messy and smelly.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Senior User

Is there a way to check the sensors using a DMM set to ohms? Saw a video on Youtube showing unplugging the sensor from the harness, attaching a DMM, spinning the wheel and checking for resistance and resistance changes (it was on a 2002 and he got 535 ohms on the good replacement and 1 on the old bad one he changed out). His ABS light had been on, though, and mine hasn't. Don't know if that means a different issue in my case.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Post Fiend

Set the multimeter to VAC and look for several volts when the wheel spins. The resistance check is done when the wheel is stationary and will tell whether or not he sensor is ope (usual) or shorted (unlikely).
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectSHO89 View Post
Set the multimeter to VAC and look for several volts when the wheel spins. The resistance check is done when the wheel is stationary and will tell whether or not he sensor is ope (usual) or shorted (unlikely).
Set to volts AC not DC?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150