Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Senior User

Skalywag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anyone have a head light adjustment chart for an f1

Got all my lights working, but... my headlights are pointing toward the ground. It maybey because of the lowered front end. I know you can adjust them, so many feet from the garage wall and so many feet high for hi and low beam, but I dont remember what the height is for either. Thanks for any help and if you have a chart can you post it.
Thanks you guys are the best.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Blabbermouth

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
According to the Shop Manual, the F1 lights are supposed to point 31 1/8" above the ground. But they show it using a tester that nobody would own.

I adjusted my F4 to 34 1/2" against my garage wall.

But if your truck is lowered, you'll need to set it other than at the factory spec.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 07-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I set my headlights with a two car garage, works great. Put a known good car with the lights on in front of one closed door, park the project car with the lights on in front of the 2nd door and adjust its headlights to match the good car.

1951 F1 build here, jag IFS, LT1 w/EFI, T56, etc..

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1271961-1951-ford-f1-resurrection-jag-ifs-lt1-efi-t56-etc.html
Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drptop70ss View Post
I set my headlights with a two car garage, works great. Put a known good car with the lights on in front of one closed door, park the project car with the lights on in front of the 2nd door and adjust its headlights to match the good car.
That is a stroke of genius, I'll try that this evening, thanks again.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
From 20 feet back on a level surface, headlights on low beam should shine on the garage door level with the lamps. Dave's trick above would be fine if both vehicles had similar height headlamps. If you're adjusting a Miata and comparing with at 4x4 pickup, you could have issues.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Elder User

drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.drptop70ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
From 20 feet back on a level surface, headlights on low beam should shine on the garage door level with the lamps. Dave's trick above would be fine if both vehicles had similar height headlamps. If you're adjusting a Miata and comparing with at 4x4 pickup, you could have issues.
LOL..actually it has worked ok with different height vehicles for me, putting the headlights level on a high truck just ends up blinding the guy in the car ahead of you. Setting them to match a "normal" car puts the light in front of you on the road and not in someone's rear view mirror..or up in the trees as I had at one time. I have not had anything with the headlights so low that they were an issue, generally they are pretty high even with a lowered vehicle.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1271961-1951-ford-f1-resurrection-jag-ifs-lt1-efi-t56-etc.html
Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Posting Guru

truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.truckeemtnfords has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wayne is correct, the standard I have seen several times is; on a level surface, 25' away from a wall(or similar) main portion of the beam should be centered on wall at the height of the headlight.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Here's what the manual shows. 3" drop 25' away from the headlight for the high beams.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Senior User

So what is the dimention of "B" , that seems to be the only thing missing. And thanks to all that have responded. I may get this thing adjusted despite my enthusiasum.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Here's what the manual shows. 3" drop 25' away from the headlight for the high beams.
I think the diagram shows high beams being 3" higher than low beams, or the center of the light is in a 3" window?
I bet the way I do it will be similar to the 20' to 25' rule since I am working against a known good vehicle. So far it has worked flawlessly and I do a lot of night driving. One thing about old style flat windshields, they smash bugs by the dozens at night.
My truck is going to be lower than stock so the tables wont work for me but the garage door will. If they turn out too low then I head back to the garage door and bump them both up the same amount.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I think 51-52's should be called Bug-Catchers, you can easily spend an hour trying to get all the bugs out from around the headlight buckets after even a short night drive.

Dimension "B" is explained below. Basically it is to relate the headlight center to a 30" reference line drawn on the wall.

If you use your method, Dave, on a truck that sits taller, you end up with the headlights aimed too low; draw a line from the center of headlight to the point you are using as a reference, then draw a line from a headlight that starts out 4" higher to and beyond the same point on the wall. The taller vehicle's headlights will hit the ground sooner.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Elder User

Yep, but they get set level and in line in a few minutes and if they are too low I can crank em up a bit using the door reflection to keep them even. I guess all my cars have headlights around the same height because they have been good to go first time so far. I also run a full 12v to the lamps so if they are a little off I am not sure I would notice.
I will continue to do it my way, which may not be by the manual but works for me. Drive safe

Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Elder User

1oldtimer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
25 feet away, I use my adjuster to set them and then fine tune them to my liking. You don't want them to cross or be to far apart also. I used to do testing here in So Cal to re register totaled vehicles and had a few aimers (mechanical ones and optical ones) and you can find an old Hoppy kit for fairly cheap and they work great.

I know it's a chevy site but, check it out.
Headlight Alignment - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

BTW, look at his tool wall........that's dedication .
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks