Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2014, 08:38 PM
New User

BobKittel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ignition starter interlock

I have a E350 van 1993 automatic. Some weeks ago the shift tube and cover tube broke. I dropped the steering column and put new parts in. The truck shifts just fine now except that the ignition while going to on position will not actuate the starter. Did I unplug something, break something or leave something out? I don't seem to have any extra parts, this time. I can start the car by crossing the solenoid poles. All positions on the gear selector work but just can not find where start is or if it is in the ignition or shift rod somewhere.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Assuming you used year-appropriate replacement parts its either the rod that pushes the sliding contact of the ignition switch is bent or otherwise not pushing the starter engage contact far enough.

It could also be the connector wiring to the sliding ignition switch is damaged---double check that.

More unlikely is the lock cylinder is the issue but your description doesn't suggest that.

Let us know what you find please---could be helpful to others down the road.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 AM
New User

BobKittel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have new parts from the Ford dealer so I know that everything was correct and not bent. The parts are an upgrade because of a design flaw in the old style which caused the rod and tube to break. JWA, I will look at the two items you mention. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Junior User

VannerDude is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, please post a solution when you find one. Very unusual.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Junior User

jimandnena is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKittel View Post
I have a E350 van 1993 automatic. Some weeks ago the shift tube and cover tube broke. I dropped the steering column and put new parts in. The truck shifts just fine now except that the ignition while going to on position will not actuate the starter. Did I unplug something, break something or leave something out? I don't seem to have any extra parts, this time. I can start the car by crossing the solenoid poles. All positions on the gear selector work but just can not find where start is or if it is in the ignition or shift rod somewhere.
Hi Bob,
is the neutral switch connected and positioned correctly? I think that would prevent the starter from operating. You might try turning the key to start and slightly moving the shift lever. Make certain you have your foot on the brake pedal in case it should start in gear (voice of experience).
jim
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans