Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 04:43 AM
New User

Tonzfseries is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecowboy View Post
Everything you have listed there can be bought new mate, I bought all the same parts plus a heap more for my F3. Feel free to email me at aussiecowboy@gmail.com. I still have quite a few bits floating around. Bring the parts in direct from the states, DO NOT buy in Aus unless you're willing to mortgage your house!
Thanks I will email you my contact as I was concerned about being able to get part and any help and advice from people in the know is very welcome
Old 07-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Freshman User

50trucking is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's a F5, the F6 had 8.25x20 tires and the frame on the F4 was not double.
Hate to see u change the running gear as Old Henry built a good drivetrain for these trucks. We had a fleet of F6 dump trucks in the grading business and u could not kill them. Is yours a 6 or 8 cylinder?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Senior User

Greg M-47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice looking project. I think mtflat is right about that front fender light. It does look like a '48-'50 mercury fender light. Can we get a better look at it please?
Greg M-47
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
New User

Tonzfseries is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes it is a v8RT unfortunately locked up we will try and free it up but from what i was told it may have done a head gasket dare say thats why it was parked up and got water in the bore.Not to say I won't keep the drive train and rebuild it over time so i will alway have that option. Greg I added the only pic i got of the front till I go back to the yard Monday I gather these are not the factory lights?

Thanks for the help IDing guys I think I can safely say I have a F5 I will post up the numbers if we find any under the cab. Still a bit unshore of the year but we'll work on that

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior User

No, I'm not saying that those lights aren't factory correct. I'm saying that they look like the lights that Ford of Canada put onto Mercury trucks. And from the picture they do look like them.
Could be something they did for the Australian market? Just neat to see them put to another use. I'd be interested to see how they were mounted. Those lights and the way they were mounted caught a lot of dirt and moisture which ruined a lot of these fenders on the mercury trucks. Then add the stainless and there mounting holes. A lot of dirt traps.
Greg M-47
Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
We've seen that park lamp set up before on Australian trucks. Someone posted pics of Aussie 48-50 trucks before and it was noted then that the traditional upper grille bar park lamps normally seen on North American models are replaced by the fender mount units. It's a "down under" thing. I'm guessing the Aussie government wanted marker lights closer to the outside edges of the truck, and not set so far inboard.

I'm going out on a limb and saying the stamped number you found on the frame rail, 9G12878, is your vin. It's consistent with the location, style and type seen in up North. The 7R8T number I believe is a part number for that particular piece of the frame. The vin is unlike the sequence used in Canada, but more like a partial vin used in US production. But the G is not a code I'm familiar with, and the smaller size is definitely unique. Very cool truck.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Junior User

blue_cloud is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is this photo in the working trucks thread that shows Mercurys with that turn signal light http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...l#post10098508
Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Senior User

Hey blue cloud. Those lights are just running lights. The first click out on the light switch turns them on. One more click to the full out position turns the main headlights on and these turn off.
Not really sure why you would run with just those small fender lights on ?
Might convert mine to signal lights some day.
Greg M-47
Old 07-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Junior User

blue_cloud is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M-47 View Post
Hey blue cloud. Those lights are just running lights. The first click out on the light switch turns them on. One more click to the full out position turns the main headlights on and these turn off.
Not really sure why you would run with just those small fender lights on ?
Might convert mine to signal lights some day.
Greg M-47

Yeah, who needed turn signals in the 50's ?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Elder User

aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.aussiecowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My F3 had those fender lights also, the idea was if you had to park your truck at night and walk away then you'd leave them turned on to prevent someone hitting it, very small current draw. Same theory as cowl lights on vintage cars.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM
New User

Paul52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great photos of the numbers on the frame parts. They are really clear. I will have to look close on my truck to see if I can find and record any identification numbers. There are many knowledgeable people on this site to help with these identification issues.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks