1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 v10 Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 v10 Y pipe

I had a buzzing noise on acceleration so today I cut all the heat shields off the exhaust system and also bent the bottom of the transmission inspection plate toward the front of the motor. It cured the buzzing noise but when I started the truck up there was a new rattle kind of sound, so I looked and found my y pipe is cracked where the passenger side pipe comes down off the manifold and connects to the pipe that goes to the cat converter.

I don't want to get a whole new y pipe could I order the spd Y pipe and that should work out right? it should be cheaper than a whole new y pipe aswell. I filled up the crack (it cracked 360) with weld but it was tissue paper so I would like to fix it before winter. I also still need to do my passenger side manifold studs and weld a new muffler because I found the rear half of mine is rotted off lol so I will probably do this all at one time.

I'm probably just going to pull everything manifolds and back off the truck, I have a feeling theres a bunch of rust sitting in front of the cat or muffler making the new rattling noise.

Anyone thats ordered the spd y pipe did you order it directly from the website? and how long after paying did it ship?

Also in all my years of wrenching I have never figured out an easy way to get the exhaust off those rubber hangers, I always try to spray wd40 in there to get them to slide easy but always end up tearing them while trying to get them off. Does anyone have a trick to share?

Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I would go the header route with all that damage. I have used a big pair of channel locks to push the rod through. One jaw on the rod, the other on the rubber.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by V10man
I think I would go the header route with all that damage. I have used a big pair of channel locks to push the rod through. One jaw on the rod, the other on the rubber.
Hey v10man, good idea with the channel locks I never thought of that even though I have two big 18" ones haha.

So I already did both side exhaust manifold studs, both manifolds were in great shape and not cracked nor warped I reinstalled using fel-pro gaskets and class 10.9 hex bolts from fastenal that I special ordered.

Also if anyone was wondering I had a total of I think 12 broken studs and welded all of them out with no problems, all broke below surface except for 3.

I think I'm just going to order the spd y pipe, but I've been reading on here from people a few years ago that ordered from him and took months to get their part or it got lost in the mail etc. I would love to order from him but don't want to wait months to get the part.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The SPD ypipe is pretty annoying IMO.(with the stock manifolds) Lots of flutter and even with a fairly quiet muffler you can hear the flutter a lot out of the tailpipe. I put one on my dads V10 some years back and he is still running it. I have headers on mine and they are the way to go and don't have any exhaust flutter.

The SPD ypipe only replaces a small section of the ypipe.(where it necks down) It does not come even close to replacing the whole y pipe assembly.

For headers I would recommend the Doug Thorley or the Banks. Hedman still did not get their headers figured out completely. I have the Thorleys on my truck.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply dkf, cash is tight and I am looking for no performance gains out of any of this, trying to keep it as cheap as possible otherwise I would have done things differently, my original T pipe has cracked where the passenger pipe off the manifold connects into the main section that goes to the catylitic converter. I did manage to weld it back together but the steel was tissue paper and I do not forsee it lasting more than 4 months before cracking around the welds. To install the spd y pipe I would be cutting out of the busted section to install it which would work.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on fixing my y pipe to last a while on the cheap?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
In that case the SPD is probably going to be your best option. Unless you can find an OE ypipe in decent shape at a junk yard or elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
AZ Wildcat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroker100
I think I'm just going to order the spd y pipe, but I've been reading on here from people a few years ago that ordered from him and took months to get their part or it got lost in the mail etc. I would love to order from him but don't want to wait months to get the part.
I ordered one last Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember) and it is arriving today. I had read that sometimes they can take awhile so I emailed them ahead of time and asked them if it was possible to get one within a week. They said yes and sure enough they came through.