6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How Much Time is Needed to: Change Oil Cooler, Change ERG Cooler, Blue Spring Modification?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Bordeauxman
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How Much Time is Needed to: Change Oil Cooler, Change ERG Cooler, Blue Spring Modification?

For an experienced mechanic, roughly how much time would be needed to

1) change the oil cooler
2) change the EGR cooler
3) blue spring upgrade
4) clean turbo

It is a long story but I'm trying to figure out if this should be 10 hours of work or 30 hours of work. I've never done it before but I was thinking of hiring a mechanic to help me do this on weekends and I'm trying to budget time.

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:21 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bordeauxman

1) change the oil cooler
2) change the EGR cooler
3) blue spring upgrade
4) clean turbo

It is a long story but I'm trying to figure out if this should be 10 hours of work or 30 hours of work. I've never done it before but I was thinking of hiring a mechanic to help me do this on weekends and I'm trying to budget time.

Thank you in advance!
If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to knock this out over the weekend. Go to YouTube and look up srmastertech and dieseltechron and watch their videos before digging in.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Paulsf350sdcc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would hire the mechanic. It was a huge, tiring job, but still doable. Of course I did the HPOP, ICP, and IPR, and a new exhaust also.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say if your confident in your mechanical abilities...budget at least 20 hours. But always except the unexcepted...

Old 07-01-2014, 01:30 PM
catalinaflyer
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My first time going in for some injector work was an all day ordeal even with all the correct tools at hand. Now it's an hour to get in, pull the offending injector, have a little voodoo session and put it all back together. Now it's become a joke with my neighbor that I pull the codes on Saturday morning and re-build the coding injector while we're having our morning coffee.

In all seriousness though, unless you've been into the motor as far as your planning this time then double or even triple the estimated time it's going to take simply because you don't know ahead of time that your going to need that special gear wrench to get to that hidden bolt the first time around or which way your going to have to climb on top of the radiator and contort your upper torso to get to that offending sensor that needs unplugged. Even with an experienced mechanic helping unless he/she specializes in 6.0's then the time is going to be a lot longer the first time around. There are people on here that can go as far as pulling a set of heads and putting it all back together in hours while first timers find it will take days if not weeks.

Anything more than going in for an injector session and I plan on not having my truck to drive on Monday morning. I've been lucky so far and have managed to get it back together by Monday but I know the project is coming that's going to ruin my luck to date.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Bordeauxman

1) change the oil cooler
2) change the EGR cooler
3) blue spring upgrade
4) clean turbo

Thank you in advance!
I spent my time researching a competent diesel mechanic (shop) that spoke 6.0s fluently. Here's some things to consider adding to your list:

1) Change out STC fitting (comes with upgraded SS IPR screen, install it)
2) Change to updated standpipes and dummy plugs
3) Change out Thermostat
4) Clean EGR Valve
5) Upgrade to latest turbo oil drain and feed tubes
6) Go with a Bullet Proof style EGR cooler
7) Have the coolant system thoroughly flushed prior to the work
8) Install Fumoto valves on the two block drains
9) Consider switching to Cat EC-1 rated coolant
10) New Degas cap

Other than the EGR cooler go with all Ford OEM Gaskets and parts. I can dig up P/Ns for this stuff if you want. I chose not to reuse any gaskets, even the ones that are re-usable, but that's me...

For everything on your list and mine together shop quote was 12-13 hrs of labor...

Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
For an experienced 6.0 mechanic oil cooler job is 1/2 a day. Add cleaning turbo another hour. For a weekend warrior a weekend is fair. The EGR cooler and turbo both have to be pulled to get down to the oil cooler so replacing the EGR cooler shouldn't be extra. If you add the STC fitting its a damn good weekend job.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Took me 4 days, but I had no idea what I was doing, only watched senior master techs videos, and really took my time and actually torqued every bolt to spec, i made the valley of the motor spotless. The real crucible is putting the turbo back on and lined up, it is not hard but experience is where this is less of a chore

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
2 days if you first timer/asking

PLUS make sure you flush like nothing you have ever done before if you want this to be a Permenant fix/long term

I have 8hr in 2 very thuro rounds of flushing probably overkilled it but its clean