1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2004 Ford Ranger 4wheel drive Vibration at 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM
p61sam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford Ranger 4wheel drive Vibration at 40mph

I recently replaced the oil seal on the front differential where the front drive shaft connects to the diff. I believe it is called the pinion oil seal. I had to remove the drive shaft to do the job. Got the oil seal in place and then slipped the u-joint yoke on and hand threaded the retainer nut on to get it started. I did mark the relative position of the drive shaft to the front yoke and the rear yoke. I had previously noted that the retaining nut, before I took it off had about 2.5 threads showing. I had to remove it with an impact wrench.
So...I used the impact wrench to put it back on with about the same number of threads showing. I then reinstalled the little short fronmt drive shaft...the one that comes out of the transfer case. I got the front of it on to the pinion output on the front diff...and then had to reattach it to the transfer case end which, by the way an interesting affair with a sort of metal cone that is attached by 6 8mm fine threaded bolts about 2.5 or 3 inches long. Got all that done with much grunting an groaning - I'm laying on the ground - SO the oil, leak is fixed but now ...THERE IS A VIBRATION AT AROUND 40 MPH AND HIGHER. LIKE SOMETHING IS OUT OF BALANCE.
DID I DAMAGE THE FRONT DIFF PINION BEARING BY USING AN IMPACT WRENCH? THIS VIBRATION OCCURES IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE. AS I UNDERSTAND IT THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT DOESN'T EVEN TURN WHEN IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE.
MY QUESTION IS DOES THE FRONT DIFF GEARS SPIN WHEN IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE? PERHAPS THE U-JOINT IS BAD ON THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT?
JUST A BIT BAFFELED. ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE. WHEN THE SPEED DROPS TO BELOW 40MPH THE VIBRATION GOES AWAY. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS ...P61SAM

Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
On your 2004, if the front wheels are spinning, then the entire front driveline is also spinning (including the front driveshaft), even in 2WD.

Measuring threads and using an impact wrench is not the way to go about it. Here's what the Ford Manual says:

SECTION 205-03: Front Drive Axle/Differential — Dana 35

Drive Pinion Seal - Removal

Special Tool(s):
2-Jaw Puller 205-D072 (D97L-4221-A) or Equivalent
Companion Flange Holding Tool 205-126 (T78P-4851-A)
Converter Oil Seal Remover 307-309 (T94P-77001-BH)
Pinion Seal Replacer 205-133 (T79P-4676-A)

CAUTION: This operation disturbs the differential pinion bearing preload. Carefully reset the preload during assembly.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Index-mark the front driveshaft and pinion flange.

3. Disconnect the front driveshaft from the pinion flange, and position it aside:

a. Remove the bolts and the universal joint spider retainers.

b. Disconnect the front driveshaft from the pinion flange.

c. Position the front driveshaft aside.

4. Measure the pinion bearing preload. Using a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench, measure the torque required to maintain pinion rotation. Record the measurement.

5. Index-mark the pinion flange and the pinion stem.

6. Use the special tool to hold the pinion flange while removing the nut.

CAUTION: Place a drain pan under the differential housing.

7. Using the special tool, remove the pinion flange.

8. Inspect the pinion flange for burrs and damage. Inspect the end of the pinion flange that contacts the bearing cone, the nut counterbore, and the seal surface for nicks. Discard the pinion flange as necessary.

9. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the pinion seal.

10. Remove the front axle drive pinion shaft oil slinger and the differential pinion bearing.

11. Remove and discard the collapsible spacer.

Installation

1. Verify that the splines on the pinion stem are free of burrs. If burrs are evident, remove them with a fine crocus cloth. Work in a rotating motion to wipe the pinion clean.

2. Clean the pinion seal bore.

3. Install a new collapsible spacer.

4. Install the original differential pinion bearing and the front axle drive pinion shaft oil slinger.

5. Lubricate the pinion seal.
Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

6. Using the special tool, install the pinion seal.

7. Lubricate the pinion flange splines.
Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.

CAUTION: Never use a metal hammer on the pinion flange or install the flange with power tools. If necessary, use a plastic hammer to tap on a tight fitting flange.

8. Align the index marks and install the pinion flange.

9. Install the new nut hand-tight.

10. Use the special tool to hold the pinion flange while tightening the nut to set the preload.

11. Tighten the nut, rotating the pinion occasionally to ensure the differential pinion bearings are seating correctly. Take frequent differential pinion bearing preload readings by rotating the pinion with a Nm (inch-pound) torque wrench. The final reading must be 0.56 Nm (5 lb-in) more than the initial reading taken during removal.

CAUTION: Do not loosen the nut to reduce preload. Install a new collapsible spacer and nut if preload reduction is necessary.

12. Align the index marks and position the front driveshaft.

13. Install the universal joint spider retainers and bolts.

14. Check the fluid level and, if necessary, fill the axle to specification.

15. Lower the vehicle.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 PM
p61sam
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your input Rockledge

Hey Rockledge, Thanks for your very helpful advice especially about the front drive train turning even when in 2 WD. Also appreciated the Ford service manual procedure. I am going to have my professional mechanic look at it and get it right. Thanks again fopr your advice and info.