1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

I let the truck sit for 8 months... new battery will turn it, but it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:12 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I let the truck sit for 8 months... new battery will turn it, but it won't start

Most likely bad gas, but I'd like some simple input on the things to check first. I know I had it running briefly in about January, but it had bad gas. Since then I've put more fresh gas in it, and SeaFoam.

I just started driving a motorcycle and another vehicle I bought, so I let the truck sit too long.

Could the injectors have got plugged up? Can I pull an injector and actually see fuel pulses if I turn it over (I've never pulled an injector before)? Oh, wait... if the injectors are press-fit to the fuel rail, I guess I can't pull one to see it work, huh?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM
glemons42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injectors are very simple to pull and test. remove bolts from intake manifold and simply pull off. some are a bit more difficult to do but it is done. and yes start with checking all the fuel lines and pump and filter. make sure you are getting fuel, then go from there. good luck.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
OK, so I may be on to something, but I need verification.

I can get it to turn over with starting fluid, so spark good.

Turning it over just now, in sessions of less than 10 seconds to not burn out the starter, I heard a minor cylinder firing twice, but no real turn-over.

With the key "On" ... there is little to no pressure at the fuel rail.

The question: should fuel be pumping noticeably at the fuel rail check-valve if the key / ignition is "on" and, while it isn't turning over, I am pressing a screwdriver down into the valve to see if I get a flow or spray?

Originally Posted by glemons42
injectors are very simple to pull and test. remove bolts from intake manifold and simply pull off. some are a bit more difficult to do but it is done. and yes start with checking all the fuel lines and pump and filter. make sure you are getting fuel, then go from there. good luck.
Thank you, but my question is - they are hard-mounted to the fuel rail. I can't see supplying an injector with fuel if it's pulled from its place under the fuel rail - or am I looking at this wrong?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The fuel pump does not run continuous with the key to Run.
It only runs only a few seconds at key on then stops.
When cranking begins the pump is turned on by the PCM.
To check fuel pressure properly, use a gage and cycle the key on several times.
If you have a mix of old gas and new it may still not be good enough.
The pump draws from the bottom of the tank. Water and other sediments drop to the bottom where the pump picks up..
The pump could be clogged as well as the filter.
Your going to have problems until the old gas is out or used up and any thing in the lines are cleared.
Do not put additives in because it just dilutes the gas further and losens other contaminants.
Best thing is to drop the tank for cleaning, flush the fuel line, change the filter then use fresh gas and 'maybe' a cleaner when it will do the most good.
Good luck.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
The fuel pump does not run continuous with the key to Run.
It only runs only a few seconds at key on then stops.
When cranking begins the pump is turned on by the PCM.
To check fuel pressure properly, use a gage and cycle the key on several times.
If you have a mix of old gas and new it may still not be good enough.
The pump draws from the bottom of the tank. Water and other sediments drop to the bottom where the pump picks up..
The pump could be clogged as well as the filter.
Your going to have problems until the old gas is out or used up and any thing in the lines are cleared.
Do not put additives in because it just dilutes the gas further and losens other contaminants.
Best thing is to drop the tank for cleaning, flush the fuel line, change the filter then use fresh gas and 'maybe' a cleaner when it will do the most good.
Good luck.
But a few seconds at key should put some residual pressure into the fuel rail by the time I check it, should it not?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GammaDriver

But a few seconds at key should put some residual pressure into the fuel rail by the time I check it, should it not?
I would expect to see a good 2-digit psi reading. Around 30 maybe.

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73fan
I would expect to see a good 2-digit psi reading. Around 30 maybe.

Thank you - so without a fuel pressure gauge I'm at least going to see a relief squirt by pushing a screwdriver down into the valve I'm assuming.

Makes sense to start at the fuel pump then. Maybe I'll disconnect the fuel filter and see if I have any squirt or pump with the key on, or a turn-over.

Is there a way to see fuel come out of the fuel line with that ford fuel fitting down there?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Perhaps I should refrain from speaking so confidently because I'm really not sure; only guessing. If you can, hold the pressure gauge while you have someone else turn the key on for you.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
No pressure gauge - at this point I'm going with questions of fuel or no fuel, not ones of what the exact reading of the fuel pressure should be.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:14 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Okay, new question - does anyone have a diagram of the top of the fuel pump assembly to tell me which of the two fuel lines should pump out (vs. the return)? I can probably check to see if fuel is flowing there

Old 06-30-2014, 03:08 PM
sosotwo
Senior User
slap the bottom of the gas tank.
sometime it is enough to get pump to start.
if it starts up after problem is likely in the tank
good luck
tom

Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
glemons42
Senior User
OK, so I may be on to something, but I need verification.

I can get it to turn over with starting fluid, so spark good.

Turning it over just now, in sessions of less than 10 seconds to not burn out the starter, I heard a minor cylinder firing twice, but no real turn-over.

With the key "On" ... there is little to no pressure at the fuel rail.

The question: should fuel be pumping noticeably at the fuel rail check-valve if the key / ignition is "on" and, while it isn't turning over, I am pressing a screwdriver down into the valve to see if I get a flow or spray?

Thank you, but my question is - they are hard-mounted to the fuel rail. I can't see supplying an injector with fuel if it's pulled from its place under the fuel rail - or am I looking at this wrong?

Thanks for any help
I have a 4.6 aswel and the 2 bolts mounting the fuel rail to the intake manifold should free the fuel rail with injectors attached, then use a screw driver and gently pull from intake manifold that should allow you to keep injectors attached to fuel rail and run a test. and as for the other thing, yes there should be fuel pressure in the fuel lines with key on.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Too late, tank is half out.

Gonna drop it the rest of the way tomorrow, but the pump assembly is already disconnected from the tank, and the tank is hanging by ratchet straps.

We're gonna actually see if the fuel was bad enough to warrant cleaning out the entire tank, and hopefully figure out a way to test the fuel pump out of the tank.

Suggestions still being taken.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 PM
glemons42
Senior User
Too late, tank is half out.

Gonna drop it the rest of the way tomorrow, but the pump assembly is already disconnected from the tank, and the tank is hanging by ratchet straps.

We're gonna actually see if the fuel was bad enough to warrant cleaning out the entire tank, and hopefully figure out a way to test the fuel pump out of the tank.

Suggestions still being taken.
the fuel pump is the right way to go anyways but even if you test it when it is out it still may pump some, just know that, but it may not be enough, if you know what I mean. may as well just go ahead and replace it anyways with all the work going into pulling the tank out.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Suggestions????
Your still going to do what you will, suggestions or not.
The fuel pump normally is capable of 100 psi dead head pressure.
The regulator drops it to the 35 psi +/- range the fuel injector need to operate at, to attain there rated flow, the motor needs.
You can't tell much from a squirt test or an open pipe look.
Use a gage on the closed system to know, so the pump works into the pressure load it is designed to do.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: I let the truck sit for 8 months... new battery will turn it, but it won't start