Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Freshman User

Lindemanlax is starting off with a positive reputation.
To the Collectors out there...

I know there are a couple of angles regarding this, but... collectors, please drive your cars! Unless you're a rare bird who faithfully maintains your cars/trucks so that they are driveable, don't let your vintage cars/trucks in your collection just sit there. Use them!

Case in point... I recently bought my 1979 F100 from a car collector who took it in on trade ~8 years ago from the original owner. Prior to that, the original put 17k miles on it. But, as evidenced by the marks in the truck's bed, the original owner used it. Not much, and perhaps only to drive his trash to the dump every week. But, he used it.

The collector I bought it from let it sit. For 8 years. When I got it, the fuel gauge didn't work. No biggie. The float had failed. Easy enough to get replaced (I don't have the time, tools, etc. to work on my truck, so I have to reply on shops to do the work for me). But, still almost $400 to do. Expensive? Perhaps. But, I'll find a reputable small shop to rely on. Just not there yet.

That fixed, all was well until yesterday, about a month after purchasing it and driving it to/from work (< 20 miles total daily) for the past few weeks, I was driving toward home yesterday down the interstate after a weekend down at the Shore. The traffic slowed, I eased up on the gas, and then went to accelerate again once the traffic picked up and the engine stalled.

I steered it over to the shoulder and tried starting it repeadedly until I realized something was wrong. So, after a nice convo with a state trooper and then a highway safety guy (the guy stayed with me the entire time; great service), and finally a tow in to town ($122 later), my truck sits at the dealership this morning.

My guess is that the collector I bought it from let the gas sit in the tank for 8 years. The truck wasn't inspected when he listed it, so I know he hadn't been driving it. I asked him to get it inspected before I came to look at it as I needed to drive it.

Everything about this truck is amazing. But, yes, my bad for not having the tank drained/inspected and the fuel filter replaced. But, when I drove it home the day I bought it, we ran it along the backroads through central Virginia for 2+ hours and it ran great! It rain great for close to a month -- until it crapped out. False expectations, I guess. Not placing blame. Totall my fault. I should've known better.

Anyway, it just got me to thinking about all the collectors out there with cars sitting in garages/barns (this guy had 85 -- double stacked -- in a barn that he built for his collection that cost more than my house). I know that your 1964 1/2 showroom Mustang with 38 miles on it is too valuable to drive daily. But, what's a few miles a month? Cars are machines that are meant to be driven. Again, I know there's a counterpoint to this, but life's too short to own a sweet rig and not roll down the windows in it on a Sunday afternoon and rumble down the countryside. There are much better views than those from inside your car/truck's garage.

Bruce
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM
Posting Guru

Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.Jklnhyd has a good reputation on FTE.
If you drove it down back roads for 2+ hours, i would suspect that it wasnt bad gas.
And i will add this snippet, "collectors with obvious money, don't take your older vehicles to dealerships!!!" Most mechanics in a wealthy neighborhood will charge you the full hour of labor that it takes them to search for the OBD11 hookup!!

In all seriousness, many things are going to start failing on your truck because of the age, it is unavoidable.
If i had money, i would find an old timer on craigslist that knows about these trucks. Park it in his driveway for a month and have him replace the water pump, thermostat, flush and fill all fluids, new cap/rotor, plugs and wires, etc.
My truck sat for around 8-10 years too, but it is a beater. I have been spending most weekends, forever, trying to keep it running just to get to work on Monday, lol.

Pics of ur truck would be nice too.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
I agree, unless a vehicle is too valuable to drive (Boss 429 Mustang, 4 speed Hemi 'Cuda convertible, etc.) they should be driven.
My truck was my DD for eleven years, then I parked it with every intention of restoring it.....eventually. Thirteen years later, I actually started on the restore project.
Letting it sit was the worst mistake I could have made. Mechanically it didn't make any difference to me because I was going to go through all of the drive train and mechanical systems. The "biggie" was the body. The cab and bed had rusted so bad I ended up getting a donor truck from New Mexico to do a cab and bed swap.
During it's thirteen years of sitting in my back yard, I would periodically go out and start it and let it run. When I started work on it, the fuel tank still had about 2-3 gallons of "fuel" (more like varnish) in it but it still ran.
These are "trucks" guys, they'll never be worth what the rare collector cars are worth, there were just too many made. They were made to work, not sit and "look pretty".
With the exception of the floor pans, the Pumpkin was rust free...until she sat.
Here's what 13 year old gas looks like .
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Post Fiend

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
Here's what the Pumpkin looked like when I parked it in 1996 vs. what it looked like when I started work on it five years ago.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Freshman User

Click the image to open in full size.

Holy cow! That was gas?! Amazing.

I'm sure my truck was stored under cover. The finish on it is as new w/ very few places (tiny) I needed to touch up. The biggest issue was where the tonneau cover rubbed against the bed rails. But, not a huge deal. Again, my intent all along was to use this truck and not let it be a show truck.

But, yes, I'm working on finding a mechanic to trust other than the dealer. It was late and the tow was expensive as it was (they charge by the mile) so the dealer was the best option at the time.

I did ask them to look through the critical things that might need attending to. We'll see what they come up with. For those who haven't seen a pic, here's my truck...
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Post Fiend

That's one nice looking truck .
Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Posting Guru

VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.VocaTexas is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree. Like most things mechanical, if you keep up the maintenance then driving them is not as bad for them as just sitting. Even sitting just a few months can cause problems.
More Dentsides Waiting To Be Resurrected
Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior User

ryansmith159 is starting off with a positive reputation.
In the person who never drives there cars defense, if I dumped a large sum of money, time, and work into a truck I would never want to mess it up. But if it was me I would only drive it on nice days when it isn't going to rain or snow. But that's just me, my truck I got now is just a driver/ leaning experience for me but I love it and drive it every chance I get. But I would never make the mistake of parking my baby outside and letting it sit and rot, but yet again I'm only 19 and have a lot less to worry about than other people. I love your truck man! It's so cool! But these trucks are so easy to work on so get a set if tools and get to working!! It's a learning experience and fun, somewhat, and if you need help just post a thread and ask!!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Post Fiend

earthquake68 has a good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a good reputation on FTE.earthquake68 has a good reputation on FTE.
This is a picture from in front of my shop. ....did I mention I work on Ford trucks from time to time?

The silver truck sat for DECADES before it was dropped off here. It was a 400 with a 4 speed. Now it's a 7.3L diesel with an A4OD. The entire chassis was gone through to make it road worthy. It's turning into a nice truck, but it's been here for 5 months. Hopefully, it'll be going home in a few days.
'78 F-250 Ranger 460, C6 2WD
'79 F-200 300-6, 4 spd. 4x4 (Alice)
'79 F-150 400, C6 4x4 (Ka'Bluey)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Freshman User

That's awesome! That monster truck is a beast!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Posting Guru

smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smokenchoken is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eli Hopkins
^^ show off lol ^^
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Posting Guru

tbear853 has a good reputation on FTE.tbear853 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindemanlax View Post
http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford...098c02e623.jpg

Holy cow! That was gas?! Amazing.

I'm sure my truck was stored under cover. The finish on it is as new w/ very few places (tiny) I needed to touch up. The biggest issue was where the tonneau cover rubbed against the bed rails. But, not a huge deal. Again, my intent all along was to use this truck and not let it be a show truck.

But, yes, I'm working on finding a mechanic to trust other than the dealer. It was late and the tow was expensive as it was (they charge by the mile) so the dealer was the best option at the time.

I did ask them to look through the critical things that might need attending to. We'll see what they come up with. For those who haven't seen a pic, here's my truck...
That don't even look real .... looks more like an old Ford Truck Advertisement to me.

Haha ..... no, I see the current Virginia tag font .... (but I did look twice!)

Nice Truck!

Stuff happens, maybe fuel pump diaphragm dried and cracked?

and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Senior User

19-F250-78 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Juntunen Guitars
I just helped a buddy of mine get a 78 f250 supercab explorer with a 400 in it to his house last week. It would start but not run long so we pulled the carb and found it was all gummed up with some clear jello looking varnish stuff. He boiled the carb and put it back on and it ran good for a while but gummed up with the same stuff again. We're guessing it sat for a long time as well. It still had the factory carb on it.

In all honesty I don't care what the car is or how valuable it is. It was built to be driven so if I owned it the car would be driven. I probably wouldn't drive something like a boss 429 everyday but it wouldn't gain only 30 miles per year. There's actually a guy up in Warroad, MN near me who has a car museum called The Shed who has a ton of vintage and one of a kind cars and he drives every one of them each year. The website doesn't do justice for his collection. http://theshedwarroad.com/
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Workaholic

77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of77&79F250 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake68 View Post
This is a picture from in front of my shop. ....did I mention I work on Ford trucks from time to time?

I bet that brown one was a 2wd 1/2 ton buy it looks...ll and now 4wd and 8 lug conversion, any chance I am right? I bet her name is "Alice" too, just guessing though.
79 351M 4spd 6" Skyjacker Edelbrock-Holley-Hedman 35's
99 Ranger 4x4, 98 Expedition 4x4, 73 Bronco Hillbilly-Bug
71 Bronco 302 35" Boggers 5.58 gears spool/locker
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks