Sponsored by:

custom roofrack using stock track

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom roofrack using stock track

so i wanted to make my own roof rack, something that can actually hold things!
i removed the useless cross bars and was eyeing up the stock rails. i decided to try and make my rack using them.

first i cut lengths of angle iron about a foot past the end of the rails, making my overall length 8 feet. i cut several small 1/8" thick pieces of steel that fit into the factory track (i forget the width). due to the curve of the roof i did not use a solid piece inside the track. i spaced them out evenly, and tack welded the angle iron on top moving from rear to front and bending the angle iron down to match the roofs curve

then i removed (the curve gives it a tight fit but it does slide out nicely) and fully welded it.

then i welded up some square tubing into a large rectangle, placed on top and stitch welded it onto the angle iron

I used the tubing to build a strong support for my spare tire, welded 5/8" ready rod to a nut, then welded that nut to the roof rack and secured my spare tire with the stock wing nut.

all the fire blankets were being used by the fabrication shop so i couldnt steal them, instead i used my coveralls

then i was given a take off air tank that used to be the "wet" tank off a big-rig.
here it is on my truck.
for some dumb reason i thought flatbar would be strong enough over that length if i welded them together i will be cutting it off and using tubing to make the rest of the bottom for it when i get some more free time likely this week, then i will install expanded steel as a floor to the front section

more big rig take offs that i got for free, perks of working in a truck shop, with a full steel fabrication shop and a full aluminum fabrication shop right next door to eachother, all 3 are the same shop/company!

and heres a quick pic of my makeshift canopy for camping

the best part is that if i ever wanted to remove the rack for painting or any other reason, i simply remove the stopper bolted to the back using the last bolt hole, and with some helping hands just slide it off the back!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:20 AM
BigBlkEX
Senior User
Kudos man!! Looks good!!!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Burning metal in the shop is always fun!
I've been thinking about building one also, to carry kayaks and stuff on top while pulling the TT. I just put a ladder rack on my chevy pickup and am getting a bit of wind noise, like a low rumble almost from it, for years I had an emergency lightbar on that truck's roof that whistled over 65 MPH. Are you getting any wind noise from your rack?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
That rack looks solid.

Any idea what it weighs?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:38 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
I don't get wind noise that I can hear unless I have things strapped to the roof, then I hear the straps.
I don't know the weight, but when I remove it for sandblasting and painting (my shop will do it on a slow weekend for free!) Then I will give you a rough estimate on weight

Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Awesome work and write up Joe. Reps to you when I can! . Any chance you're thinking about upgrading your camera?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:47 AM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
I have a digital camera in my door pocket but I always forget to use it and use my phone anyways....
I'll take some better quality pics this week!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I like that very much. Wife has been considering "letting" me buy a MIG setup specifically so I can build a roof rack. Your pics will help me get the "nod".

interested also in the noise aspect.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
so i took some better pics with my digital camera here goes a few. its still unfinished though and i will update as i finish up and paint.
as for noise, i can cruise down the highway at 120km/h and have no noticeable wind noise. only noise i get is when i strap things to the roof, then i hear the straps vibrate.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Clean that damn air tank! What the hell man, is that spare oil in case you spring a leak?!?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 AM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
It was a "wet" tank off a big rig. I haven't bothered with cleaning it cause then it's all over my truck!

Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
updates for my roof rack, nothing major but the floor is in now

and i can stand on the floor without any flex at all!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
If you weren't 44+ hours away from me I would have you make me one too

Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Flat bar is only useful for giving you meat to weld into when filling in a CP on something you can't arc air the back out of...

If you used your coveralls does that mean you committed the act of welding naked?

Nice rack

Old 10-04-2014, 02:19 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Apocalypse, you could just bring pictures to a local fab shop and tell them you want something similar! or make something unique.
haha no I have several pairs of coveralls at my shop so I was protected. although tack welding the expanded steel at every little joint I just closed my eyes and didn't use a mask, now my face is burnt!
and yea as you can see I've replaced the flat bar with square tubing and it's strong now

Quick Reply: custom roofrack using stock track