Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Freshman User

7racecar7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
renningerracing
What do I have here - Banks Ottomind

Still learning my truck - on to this thing

I assume its a tuner, does this mean I have the Banks exhaust also? When I purchased from dealer they said it was a "custom" exhaust

Click the image to open in full size.

any idea what this is doing for me?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
I would bet that has something to do with your major cooling issues.

Banks Power AutoMind Handheld Programmer 66100
Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Freshman User

renningerracing
Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post

uhhh...no idea where to start with this thing....phone call to dealer in morning thanks for the heads up...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:42 AM
Senior User

STOFFERJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

how would this have anything to do with the trucks cooling issues???
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
If you read the link it has adjustable fan control and other settings. In the other thread we were not made aware of aftermarket calibrations being apart of the system which could intern effect the vehicle when towing. What if he has been towing in the wrong mode the entire time?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
towing

Quote:
If you read the link it has adjustable fan control and other settings. In the other thread we were not made aware of aftermarket calibrations being apart of the system which could intern effect the vehicle when towing. What if he has been towing in the wrong mode the entire time?
I went to the dealer specifically to get a truck to tow a specific amount of weight, I would hope they would not sell me something that was tuned for joyriding...

as far as the adjustable fan that may be the case on electrical fan but this has a fan clutch and is mechanical controled/engaged by heat through the radiator....
Old 06-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Junior User

LSCR351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
All you have to do is unplug that chip out of the J3 port and the truck will be back to a stock tune. See if your overheating issue goes away. At any time you can always just plug the chip back in.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Freshman User

renningerracing
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCR351 View Post
All you have to do is unplug that chip out of the J3 port and the truck will be back to a stock tune. See if your overheating issue goes away. At any time you can always just plug the chip back in.
well this opened up some ideas, gave it a test run and the truck works much better performance wise not heat yet... It seems much more crisp, it shifts later in rpm range and doesn't go way low in rpm always above 1500...i wonder if this chip is for MPG or something so i called Banks, this chip is 10 years old, not that should matter but they told me about the plug in one for 400 bucks.

the said you can adjust to octane and tire size towing not towing ect ect, told him about heat also said these trucks like 3500 and above rpm, which was interesting as with the chip in I always thought it didnt shift down correctly...with out it in its very smooth and feels like it should...this all without towing but im going to try it without chip this weekend.

evidently i have the banks exhaust kit so at east i know that much...my temp on scanguage at 90 degrees today is 215-220 not sure what is ideal...
Old 07-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Senior User

Mike189677 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Take the ottomind out and leave it out figure out your temp issue then if you want to run a tuner get and an SCT and a tune or tunes from 5star. OEM thermostat should be a 195°. Most people seem to be running in the 188° to 200° range depending on ambient temp and load. You may want to verify you temp sensor is working correctly and that you have the proper Motorcraft thermostat
2004 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY SCSB FX4 Heated Leather 4.10's 5 Star Tuned 4" Procomp lift 33x12.50 BfGoodrich All-Terrains on 12 wide eagle 589's Warn Premium's Line-X Harley Headlights Recon Smoked Mirror and Cab Lights Fog Light Mod Cold A/C Mod Zoo-Dad Mod Smoked L.E.D. 3rd Brake Light Scangauge II 20% tint on the Front Doors 5% tint over the factory 20% in the rear Infinity Door Speakers JBL 10" sub
Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Freshman User

renningerracing
VS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike189677 View Post
Take the ottomind out and leave it out figure out your temp issue then if you want to run a tuner get and an SCT and a tune or tunes from 5star. OEM thermostat should be a 195°. Most people seem to be running in the 188° to 200° range depending on ambient temp and load. You may want to verify you temp sensor is working correctly and that you have the proper Motorcraft thermostat
Thank you I plan taking that out this weekend for the trip, truck goes back to dealer Monday to have them troubleshoot hopefully they find the issue, I think other then replacing the radiator or water pump Ive gone ovrer everything else that I can.

For the Tuner what makes one better than another? I also have the Banks exhaust and a cold air intake not sure what specifics yet but do i need to take that into consideration with the tune, banks says their tuner runs with their exhaust, if i run someone else's tuner do i need to run their exhaust also?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Posting Guru

You can keep your exhaust and intake. These trucks don't really benefit from modified intakes other than the zoodad mod, which is a hole in the header panel allowing lower IAT's. 5 star tuning is the guy to go to around here, I don't have one yet, but do plan on getting one. Hopefully the cooling issues get worked out.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM