6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Portland Oregon, Help! Anyone have Autoenginuity to help diagnose 6.0 injectors

Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 PM
taildraggger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean, what are the normal boost levels I should see at idle, light throttle and such?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should see 0 at idle, around 5 cruising, up to 28 with a heavy right foot. Boost will always vary depending on conditions like weight and terrain.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 PM
taildraggger
New User
Well I just installed the boost gauge (psi) on my scangaugeII that amdriven2liv suggested. in park at full throttle i can only see 5-6psi, and that is while blowing blue smoke and with alot of sluggish throttle response and engine shake, like an injector is not contributing correctly. Just a thought, i had a local shop put a new turbo on and I am wondering if the Y-pipe is not hooked up correctly, limiting boost. I looked over the Y-pipe but could not see anything out of place.
So the question is could a low or no boost issue cause an engine to act like it is having low power and or and injector issue?

Your thoughts Guys?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
taildragger,

In park at full throttle you aren't going to see the kind of boost you would if you were at full throttle on the highway.

In park and at idle you should see 0-.5 psi. (VGT would be somewhere between 65% - 85%)
While cruising on a nice flat road with little load you would see something like 4psi - 8psi. (VGT would be somewhere between 45% - 6x%)
And then mashing the pedal to the floor while on the road you should see somewhere between 24psi - 28psi. (VGT would be somewhere between 16%-2x%)

An exhaust leak or boost leak will definitely cause low power if the leak is big enough.
You might also pull and clean your EGR if you haven't already done that. And then monitor that with the ScanGauge.

Another item to check is the MAP hose that runs from a nipple on the intake to the MAP sensor. That port could be plugged up or the hose cracked or have a small hole in it.

Also, the ScanGauge can monitor for injector misfires. I've never used that part of the gauge so I'm not sure how good or accurate it actually is.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey taildragger, per chance, have you asked your neighbor if he had a spare FICM laying around?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
taildraggger
New User
Unfortunately, the shop was not willing to let a good FICM out the door, and I understand. They were real nice about turning me down.
If Wednesday afternoon works for you I am up for swapping our your FICM for a test. I think Yahiko was offering to make a road trip and bring his Ford VCM down and hook it up. I will reach out to him and see if he is still available.
Yahiko, what say you, does Wednesday work for you as well?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Wednesday is good. Hope Sean can come down. Would be nice to see some things prior to swapping FICMs.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

What time are you thinking?

Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM
taildraggger
New User
I dont have access to messaging yet, can you send Yahiko a quick message for me and see what he has going on. Thanks

Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Originally Posted by taildraggger
I dont have access to messaging yet, can you send Yahiko a quick message for me and see what he has going on. Thanks

Just sent him a PM about Wednesday. I'll let you know, or he will stop by here and let us know.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I have to go see my Doctor in the afternoon and it's one
of the type you really can't miss.

Sean

Old 07-07-2014, 02:04 PM
taildraggger
New User
Sean amdriven2liv. Give me a call. . Thanks[/QUOTE]

Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Well, we swapped FICMs. Didn't change the situation very much. He did think the throttle response was better, but, I might have to think that my FICM has the Atlas 40 on it, while his doesn't.

When I got there, we scanned for codes and got some. Hopefully Kyle will post those up. (we then cleared the codes)

We started and ran the truck numerous times, didn't run it on the road, and none of the codes returned. Now, I must add, the Torque APP called them grey codes and none of them had set the CEL.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:33 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Oh, and thanks to Kyle, he had a piece of hose to put on the heater hose on my truck where it crosses the FICM. I had a rubbing spot there.

Sometimes, a person thinks they are helping some one else, when the reality is, you needed some too!

Thanks Kyle.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
taildraggger
New User
Thanks Sean for being willing to offer up your FICM and your time to help diagnose the above stated problems I have been struggling with! I am amazed at the willingness of this Group of 6.0 owners and enthusiasts who are up for helping new members (strangers) without a second though.
Most of us are on a budget and want to make wise decisions on what we repair and how much to spend or do ourselves. With the kind of help and support this forum and its members offer it sure makes it easy for me to look forward to tackling many future repairs and mods.

So thanks again.

Next step?

After ruling out a FICM issue, Fuel filters, Turbo, ICP, HPOP, IPR, EGR, Stiction (using Hot Shot Secret cleaner). I am left with looking hard at a injection issue (mechanical or electrical). If I am lucky Yahiko may be able to swing by this week with his Ford Diagnostic program so we can look at the injectors specifically.

Both Sean and I have tried using the ScanGaugeII and the Torque APP, and have been unable to see them record or indicate injector misfires or issues. Unsure if anyone else has had luck with this.

On a side note, I will post a picture of damage to my Air Intake boot at the turbo. The boot was not installed correctly after the shop replaced the Turbo. The incorrect installation crushed one side of the boot tearing the rubber after it was pinched by the clamp. This has caused a obvious air leak upstream of the MAP sensor. This issue is not related to the possible injector issue but would cause some issue I am sure.

I will followup with more soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Portland Oregon, Help! Anyone have Autoenginuity to help diagnose 6.0 injectors