1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So when does the fun start ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when does the fun start ?

Eara-effen-tated. Yesterday was it. That's it. I give up.
As some of you know having read my "Frustration" threads, this has been a frustrating time for me sorting out the problems that I have come across with my '49 Mercury truck restoration.
I had a month of lifter problem that finally got taken care of. Then a carb issue. After that a leaking rad. Then a starter issue. My latest was a generator that was given a quickie fix and paint job by the previous owner. It looked okay but I had it checked before using it. Checked okay and was till a few days ago.
And then it started to growl. Loudly. So took it off and the ends of the armature are wrecked. One end badly scored and the other dimpled with a punch to hold the bearing in place. Oh well what can you do. $200 later and back in business. My brother comes over and lends a hand putting the generator and fan back on.( A real fun job. )
Fire up and everything okay again. So after lunch I head off to his place to help him and almost make it. Yup she died a block away. Gas puking from the carb and not too much cranking so CAA to the rescue or sort of.
A two hour wait for a flatbed. Was supposed to be twenty five minutes so after an hour we walked back to his place and called CAA. Long story short there was a language problem and another hour and my truck was in the garage. And there it will sit. For a while. Got other stuff besides an old truck to do.
AHHHHH !!! Venting...... Thanks for letting me vent again. It does seem to help.
Greg M-47

Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Gotta love those "fresh Canadian tow truck driver's". good luck with your truck.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yep, walk away from it for a while.

Patience is the key with these old machines. I have found that understanding how they work, in great detail, helps to figure out problems. That is some of the fun for me......the challenge.

Of course driving them is fun too......hang in there!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It pays to be pro-active. Anything you haven't touched on it, dig into it and verify condition. If you wait for failures they will happen sooner than later and not in the garage, most likely.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Sorry to hear of all your trouble on the truck, I agree get it home and walk a way from it just for a little bit and don't let it get you down. She just telling you she needs some loving and attention.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM
FunInMyF1
New User
I hear ya man...seems like im chasing a damn gremlin around my truck, fix something something else is found. But like above guess when dealing with stuff 60+yrs old gonna have issues for sure. I do custom woodworking for a living and sometimes I have to just put a particular job on shelf and work on another until I get that Ah-ha moment that solves the issue I had. Sometimes a break is the best method to get it figured out, plus keeps my fresh...my head gets sore when I bang it too many times into wall

Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
My first year almost with my current truck caused me to make several venting posts too. Thanks to the guys on here I made it thru and didn't explode or sell the truck...lol. Hang in there!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. Went to a pool party and it was great. Taking the old truck would have been nice but. I'll take a few more days, maybe a week and then get back at it. Running out of stuff to refix so has to get better. Thanks again for the sympathy.
Greg M-47

Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess you just have to look at all these frustrating problems as a learning process. Or you could just buy a brand new crate motor and have a mechanic install it all, but where is the fun in that? At least you are really close to be driving yours around - some of us aren't nearly as close. My frustration is not having the time to work on it.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 AM
55f100tx
Senior User
Did you polarize your generator after you installed it?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Ah, the simple joys of motoring!
Have fun! Keep cool!
Isn't this what they call "character building?"

Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Yeah Yamagrant, "those fresh Canadian tow truck drivers" can be a treat. The guy was pretty good when he did get there. Did a nice job loading my truck on and dropping it off in my driveway. That was the first time in a lot of years that I've had a tow.
And 55f100tx. No I didn't polarize the new generator. Thought of that the other day after the truck was home. ( At the pool party actually. ) Can't recall which wires that I touched together at the voltage reg. And haven't looked it up yet. You wouldn't happen to have that info at hand per chance?
And once again thanks for the replies. It sure helps to hear that others have gone through the same problems. Not going in to the garage today but maybe Monday.
Maybe I need some kind of a gremlin fighter. My wife has a little bell that hangs off the lowest part of her motorcycle's frame. It's to scare off the road gremlins. Might have to get one for my truck.
Greg M-47

Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM
55f100tx
Senior User
Yours may be labeled differently but this is how you do it. Disconnect the field wire FLD from its connection at the regulator, touch the field wire to the Batt wire at its connection on the regulator for a second or so, it will make a arc. reconnect the wire to the field terminal. that's all there is to it. This should be done anytime the battery is disconnected and reconnected. If not done it can cause discharge and also possible generator damage. When I was a high school kid in the early 70's we still had a few old tractors and grain trucks with generators. I don't own anything with a generator now, but I do remember lol. FYI, I have noticed speedway motors sells a Alternator that looks like a stock generator for flatheads and y blocks, its a nice upgrade. I think it may cost less than a generator.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Greg M-47
Senior User
Thank you for the quick reply 55f100tx. Might have to go out into the garage. No wait, too soon. Damn I'm tempted. Must stay strong.....
I'm waiting on the alternater that looks like a generator till I try this six volt stuff for a while. Might go to twelve volt. Maybe later on down the road.
Greg M-47

Old 06-29-2014, 03:01 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Without the "downs" the "ups" would not be near as much fun...hang in there!

Quick Reply: So when does the fun start ?