1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

4-link mount inboard or outboard?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4-link mount inboard or outboard?

I recently purchased a triangulated 4-link kit for my 1951 F-1. Now this kit came nicely built with all the hardware and bushings. My question is how did you mount your lower bars? And if your running a parallel kit you can also chime in. I'm wondering because it would make things a lot easier if the lower bars mounted outside the frame rails. I'm not sure how its supposed to be done exactly. I've seen set ups both inboard and outboard. What are the pro's and con's to both options?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,376 Posts
The lowers outboard and parallel to the frame rails will work fine. I've seen kits that utilize the original rear spring front hanger for the forward bar mount. Most OEM vehicles have the upper bars close to the center section on the rear end and angled out toward the frame rails.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
That was how I originally planned on setting it up but after researching how others did theres I see a lot of different styles and bar placement. I plan on running a set of air bags and have noticed most guys have there upper links mounted center on the cross member and out on the axle tubes? Is there a reason for that or am I over analyzing things?

Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 AM
trumph
Senior User

Hey Trey i went the other way with mine centered on the diff housing and out at the front to the Chassis rails which i plated in

Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It depends on the type of rear axle you have and where you have the center bars. The differentials with the nodular iron housings you can't weld to the center section without a truss. Others like the 9" have a steel housing which is easily welded.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I mounted mine wide at the axle and narrow at the frame. I had to make a cross member to do this. I mounted mine directly under the frame so that i didnt have to modify the rear running board bracket or the existing cross member. This is with the welder series kit.

Edit here is the picture

Old 06-29-2014, 06:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I would assume for a set of bars already purchased, in specific lengths, you need to install them the way they were designed to get the correct geometry. Have you asked the vendor? Were there any layout drawings?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
No drawings or instructions with the kit. I can call them and ask but after some measurements taken today I realized I'm in a pickle ether way. Inboard I need to redo my crosmember if outboard I have to move the rear running board mount.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Trey_Morgan
No drawings or instructions with the kit. I can call them and ask but after some measurements taken today I realized I'm in a pickle ether way. Inboard I need to redo my crosmember if outboard I have to move the rear running board mount.

Thats exactly why i mounted mine under the frame.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Thats exactly why i mounted mine under the frame.
I would mount mine under but I plan on using a set of air bags. The link bars being under the frame I think will limit the travel and become a low point on the frame when the bags are deflated.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Trey_Morgan
I would mount mine under but I plan on using a set of air bags. The link bars being under the frame I think will limit the travel and become a low point on the frame when the bags are deflated.
Where did you buy your kit from? Since the bottom bars are supposed to be parallel to the ground at ride height, if you use a supplied mount on the axle the front of the bar will be at the same height no matter if you mount inside outside or under your frame

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
(http://www.johnnylawmotors.com/catalog/1974-1978-mustang-and-pinto/rear-suspension/rear-four-link-kits/VPATTK4/heavy-duty-triangulated-universal-four-link-kit-with-shock-hardware)
This is the kit I ordered.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Did you download the instructions from that page? What do they say?

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Youll have to play around with where it will fit best. like i said the front of the bar will be at the same height no matter what, itll be a question on if there will be clearance to the frame under full travel if you mount it underneath the frame.

Dont know if thats enough travel for what you want to do, but it bottoms out at the axle tube before the bar hit the frame. Like you said youll have to modify either the cross member or running board bracket if you go one of those ways.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Trey_Morgan
Junior User
It says to mount inboard but it also says they can be shortened if needed. I can take 5 inches out of the lower bars and they will clear the factory croess member.
If I shorten the lower bars do I need to also shorten the uppers?
In order to get the lower bars parallel with the world at ride hight I think my best option is like yours. Shorter lower links will make them even more of an angle at ride hight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4-link mount inboard or outboard?