Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Junior User

Trey_Morgan is starting off with a positive reputation.
4-link mount inboard or outboard?

I recently purchased a triangulated 4-link kit for my 1951 F-1. Now this kit came nicely built with all the hardware and bushings. My question is how did you mount your lower bars? And if your running a parallel kit you can also chime in. I'm wondering because it would make things a lot easier if the lower bars mounted outside the frame rails. I'm not sure how its supposed to be done exactly. I've seen set ups both inboard and outboard. What are the pro's and con's to both options?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
The lowers outboard and parallel to the frame rails will work fine. I've seen kits that utilize the original rear spring front hanger for the forward bar mount. Most OEM vehicles have the upper bars close to the center section on the rear end and angled out toward the frame rails.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Junior User

That was how I originally planned on setting it up but after researching how others did theres I see a lot of different styles and bar placement. I plan on running a set of air bags and have noticed most guys have there upper links mounted center on the cross member and out on the axle tubes? Is there a reason for that or am I over analyzing things?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Freshman User

trumph is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hey Trey i went the other way with mine centered on the diff housing and out at the front to the Chassis rails which i plated in
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Post Fiend

51dueller has a good reputation on FTE.51dueller has a good reputation on FTE.
It depends on the type of rear axle you have and where you have the center bars. The differentials with the nodular iron housings you can't weld to the center section without a truss. Others like the 9" have a steel housing which is easily welded.

'51 Mercury M-3 Extra 5 Star Cab Dually "Faith"
5.4L, AOD, Dana 70 3.73:1, Twin-I-Beam
Built to play and work hard!
Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
I mounted mine wide at the axle and narrow at the frame. I had to make a cross member to do this. I mounted mine directly under the frame so that i didnt have to modify the rear running board bracket or the existing cross member. This is with the welder series kit.

Edit here is the picture

1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 06-29-2014, 06:33 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I would assume for a set of bars already purchased, in specific lengths, you need to install them the way they were designed to get the correct geometry. Have you asked the vendor? Were there any layout drawings?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Junior User

No drawings or instructions with the kit. I can call them and ask but after some measurements taken today I realized I'm in a pickle ether way. Inboard I need to redo my crosmember if outboard I have to move the rear running board mount.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey_Morgan View Post
No drawings or instructions with the kit. I can call them and ask but after some measurements taken today I realized I'm in a pickle ether way. Inboard I need to redo my crosmember if outboard I have to move the rear running board mount.

Thats exactly why i mounted mine under the frame.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post
Thats exactly why i mounted mine under the frame.
I would mount mine under but I plan on using a set of air bags. The link bars being under the frame I think will limit the travel and become a low point on the frame when the bags are deflated.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Elder User

gicknordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey_Morgan View Post
I would mount mine under but I plan on using a set of air bags. The link bars being under the frame I think will limit the travel and become a low point on the frame when the bags are deflated.
Where did you buy your kit from? Since the bottom bars are supposed to be parallel to the ground at ride height, if you use a supplied mount on the axle the front of the bar will be at the same height no matter if you mount inside outside or under your frame
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM
Junior User

(http://www.johnnylawmotors.com/catalog/1974-1978-mustang-and-pinto/rear-suspension/rear-four-link-kits/VPATTK4/heavy-duty-triangulated-universal-four-link-kit-with-shock-hardware)
This is the kit I ordered.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Did you download the instructions from that page? What do they say?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Elder User

gicknordon
Youll have to play around with where it will fit best. like i said the front of the bar will be at the same height no matter what, itll be a question on if there will be clearance to the frame under full travel if you mount it underneath the frame.

Dont know if thats enough travel for what you want to do, but it bottoms out at the axle tube before the bar hit the frame. Like you said youll have to modify either the cross member or running board bracket if you go one of those ways.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Junior User

It says to mount inboard but it also says they can be shortened if needed. I can take 5 inches out of the lower bars and they will clear the factory croess member.
If I shorten the lower bars do I need to also shorten the uppers?
In order to get the lower bars parallel with the world at ride hight I think my best option is like yours. Shorter lower links will make them even more of an angle at ride hight.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks