Sponsored by: Moser

Classic Car Insurance Haggerty vs American Modern

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 PM
sooboy460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Car Insurance Haggerty vs American Modern

Im in the market for classic car insurance for my 77 stepside and got some quotes Who has some experience with haggerty or american modern and how is your service or which one is better and why?
Thanks for your replies in advance.
Gary

Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be curious what comes of this. I looked into these companies a while back cause I wanted insurance with a pre-agreed value, there's a term for it, I forget. Turns out though I couldn't find anyone to give me that and allow me to actually drive it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 PM
schwoch1
New User
I have Hagerty for all of my collectible vehicles that I own. I currently have 3 vehicles insured with them and have had no issues with them, but I also never have had a claim! This is where most people tell of bad experiences when it comes to insurance companies! Hagerty does not limit you to how many miles you drive either, but they ask that you not use the vehicle as a daily driver! From what my agent said, their motto is enjoy the vehicle without the worry of going over a predetermined mileage limit! Hope this helps, I have had no problems with them and would recomend them to anyone who asks!!!

Mike

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 PM
landers0440
Senior User
Originally Posted by sooboy460
Im in the market for classic car insurance for my 77 stepside and got some quotes Who has some experience with haggerty or american modern and how is your service or which one is better and why?
Thanks for your replies in advance.
Gary
No doubt about this. Hagerty. I'm an Insurance Agent myself and I write business for them and they are by far the best for any older or classic vehicles but there guidelines are very strict. The pros are that you don't have to worry about them not paying out enough in the event of a claim because you set an agreed value for your vehicle before you even purchase the policy. They also hardly ever deny claims unless it's fraudulent and there service is great. I wouldn't consider anybody else but them. But you can't use your vehicle as a DD and it must be in a locked building at all times and by that I'm talking at night while not in use. And you also can not pay monthly, you must pay the entire year in full. Another pro is that there deductible is $0 and they have great roadside.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM
sooboy460
Junior User
Originally Posted by landers0440
No doubt about this. Hagerty. I'm an Insurance Agent myself and I write business for them and they are by far the best for any older or classic vehicles but there guidelines are very strict. The pros are that you don't have to worry about them not paying out enough in the event of a claim because you set an agreed value for your vehicle before you even purchase the policy. They also hardly ever deny claims unless it's fraudulent and there service is great. I wouldn't consider anybody else but them. But you can't use your vehicle as a DD and it must be in a locked building at all times and by that I'm talking at night while not in use. And you also can not pay monthly, you must pay the entire year in full. Another pro is that there deductible is $0 and they have great roadside.
Thanks for the input guys. I will be meeting all the stipulations/reqirements and the truck is only going to be used for cruzing .The big differece in the 2 quotes I got was price...Haggerty was $200 more expensive for the same coverage than american modern.Both places would pay out the set amount agreed on through pictures and list of mods.My wife says that with American modern being that much different in price, must be missing something and the coverage is not the same.I dont know.Sometimes cheaper isnt always better or cheaper for a reason.
I would like to here from someone with American Modern for insurence and see how they like them.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 PM
landers0440
Senior User
I'll be honest with you, I write for Hagerty and have wrote for American Modern in the past. Hagerty may be an extra $200 but it's more than worth it. There claims process is so much better, quicker and hassle free. American Modern will ask you a million questions, make you wait forever to hear from an adjuster and find any way possible to get out of paying. Read the fine print because they will screw you otherwise. I've talked to so many people who got burned by them. Up to you but it would be money well spent with Hagerty.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 AM
sooboy460
Junior User
I'll be honest with you, I write for Hagerty and have wrote for American Modern in the past. Hagerty may be an extra $200 but it's more than worth it. There claims process is so much better, quicker and hassle free. American Modern will ask you a million questions, make you wait forever to hear from an adjuster and find any way possible to get out of paying. Read the fine print because they will screw you otherwise. I've talked to so many people who got burned by them. Up to you but it would be money well spent with Hagerty.
This is what I was fishing for who is better and why Looks like Hagerty has a good rep for supporting its customers.Anyone want to chime in with good or bad experiences for both teams I would like to hear from you.Thanks.Much appreciated.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
hagerty

great info.Thanks Landers....I was wondering what the average cost to insure one of our older rigs,would go for ,yearly?

Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM
sooboy460
Junior User
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
great info.Thanks Landers....I was wondering what the average cost to insure one of our older rigs,would go for ,yearly?
They only insure for one year periods and it depends a lot on price of modifications done to the vehicle.Just a stock 70s truck would not be much to insure at all.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
landers0440
Senior User
There's to many variants to be an average. Depends on your location, driving history, limits of your primary insurance and yes even your credit score is a factor unless you live in Oklahoma. I have my 78 insured for 10 grand with limits of 250/500/250 and it's a hair over 400 a year.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:31 PM
sooboy460
Junior User
There's to many variants to be an average. Depends on your location, driving history, limits of your primary insurance and yes even your credit score is a factor unless you live in Oklahoma. I have my 78 insured for 10 grand with limits of 250/500/250 and it's a hair over 400 a year.
my quote from hagerty was $574 for similar liability but $15,000 value and I live near Detroit which may be a factor as well.
Still nobody from American Moderns side eh?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
landers0440
Senior User
Originally Posted by sooboy460
my quote from hagerty was $574 for similar liability but $15,000 value and I live near Detroit which may be a factor as well.
Still nobody from American Moderns side eh?
Yeah that's actually cheap for Michigan. Michigan is basically the highest priced state for insurance due to there PIP laws and the fact your always a percentage at fault no matter what.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So do you guys go with these two because nobody else will insure them? I plan on mine being a DD, but want full coverage. I've got progressive, so will I not be able to fully insure my truck just because I actually want to use it???

Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 PM
landers0440
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian1080
So do you guys go with these two because nobody else will insure them? I plan on mine being a DD, but want full coverage. I've got progressive, so will I not be able to fully insure my truck just because I actually want to use it???

Typically people choose one of these two because they specifically specialize in older and classic vehicles. Also, it's 9/10 much cheaper to go with one of these than your run of the mill insurance carrier. I'm not a fan of non-standard insurers such as Progressive but if you use your truck as a DD then a company like Hagerty would not insure it.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah, it's cheaper because they know you can't use your vehicle, lol. I see no point whatsoever in having something I can't enjoy however/whenever I want.

Quick Reply: Classic Car Insurance Haggerty vs American Modern