Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
New User

srohara is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 F250 Diesel

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for a call back on an 88 F250 7.3 Diesel. My mechanic said he's not too familiar with these so is there anything specific I should be asking about? All the ad mentions is that the truck has 120K miles, new tires, new inspection and it's an extended cab.

My luck it's probably already sold, or needs a ton of body work, but just in case that's not true - what might be about to fall off?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 07-14-2003, 02:24 PM
Founder ... Stay Tuned

FTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputationFTE Ken has a superb reputation
1988 F250 Diesel

1988 were not Power Strokes. Moved to the correct forum.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Elder User

Saigon is starting off with a positive reputation.
1988 F250 Diesel

Have you had a look at it at all ?Or are you just trusting the ad?
Mine's an 86 and I haven't lost anything yet.
Magic
Old 07-15-2003, 10:27 AM
New User

1988 F250 Diesel

I've been looking at it every day since Saturday since it's sitting in my driveway waiting to be registered. New exhaust, quite a bit of surface rust on the bottom, but nothing that looks like it's about to fall off aside from the rear fuel tank which needs to be replaced/sealed as it seeps fuel.

I'm alternating between 'way cool' and 'what the heck did I just do' but if it lasts a year and I've no reason to think it won't last much longer than that at this point I'd be happy.

Sherry
Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Elder User

1988 F250 Diesel

Can you get a few pictures online? What are you going to use it for, workhorse, just driving around and going to work? You seem more worried about the visual aspect, how about the engine, tranny and such? Have you driven it for a while?
Magic
Old 07-15-2003, 11:31 AM
New User

1988 F250 Diesel

The only pics I have at this point aren't on-line and are basic 'hey this is what it looks like' shots. It's going to be used for hauling a 2 horse trailer on weekends and that's pretty much it (baring Home Depot runs) As far as the engine and tranny - no slipping, runs strong, good acceleration from a stop and holds it own going up hill, nothing appears to be leaking - only driving so far was the initial test drive and getting it home (total of about 25 miles) The weekend after next I have to go pick up the trailer from my friend which is a 2 1/2 hour drive so I'll have a better idea then as far as how it is on the highway - although we were doing 60 no problem on the way home - and hauling too. The guy I bought it from used it to haul a 21 ft travel trailer so I don't think that's going to be a problem. Err, what else? Having had way too much experience with leaking oil (I had a 79 Cougar that leaked like a sieve) I take the 'no leaking' as a good sign and of course no Fred Flintstone holes are always a bonus.

Sherry
Old 07-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Elder User

1988 F250 Diesel

Looks like a good background from here, body-work is secondary an can wait, keep good maintenance on the engine, filters, oil etc.. and don't forget you have grease fittings everywhere under the truck, don't overlook these also.Not easy to give a verdict as you apparently don't have any real problems !Come back to the forum if you do and with all us backyard mechanics, we should have the answers.
Magic

Old 07-15-2003, 11:58 AM
New User

1988 F250 Diesel

Thanks Mike! Like I said I'm alternating between 'way cool' and 'oh, my' and hoping that the 'way cool' will be the good part. I certainly will be back with any questions.

Thanks again,
Sherry
Old 07-15-2003, 11:58 AM