New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member from Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Wyle E Coyote
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member from Idaho

Hello everyone!

I've been a lifelong car guy, and have built quite a few fun toys over the years. My first car was a 73 Maverick 4-door. Before you skip the rest, this wasn't your average sedan. This was a tow package car. A 302 with a factory motorcraft 4 barrel carb, C6 with a shift kit, and a 3:50 geared 9 inch rear. And with 73,000 grandma miles on it, it was cherry. Needless to say many a Chevy got their asses handed to them with that car. I sold it to buy a rare Pontiac convertible, but I'll never forget the fun we had in it.

About a year ago we upgraded from the minivan to a 2006 Expo, Eddie Bauer edition, mainly for my wife to run the kids around in comfort. We really like it, and haven't had much issue with it, as I would expect from a Ford. But I have to say, I'm a little intimidated to dig into this thing. But I might have to, because I have a problem or two.

About a month ago, the clutch on the A/C compressor went out. We had a local guy I know repair that, and it was blowing at about 40 degrees out the dash vents when I got it back from him. Then after a couple of weeks, it wasn't very cool at all. I went back to that shop and he said it was a little low on freon, and topped it off. Much colder! That lasted two days. Now it blows very warm air, even on the maximum cold setting. I'm assuming the two aren't really related, but I haven't messed with A/C stuff in a long time. My thought is its a blend door under the dash. But where, and is it an easy fix? If it's going to be more than a couple of hours to do, I might have to take it somewhere. Not much time in my schedule right now for that stuff, sadly.

The other is the blend door actuator for the rear A/C. It failed right after we got it, and I found and fixed that myself. But it's back! I found a thread here about it, but I've lost it. As I recall, there's two companies that make them, and one is to be avoided like the plague. But someone there also suggested the servo that moves it travels too far, and the weak plastic gears in the case end up doing it,.. until they strip out. Maybe a separate travel stopper is in order? Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

PS: Is there a factory quality repair and/or service manual available for the Expo? That would help a bunch!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find some answers here shortly -- there is a ton of experienced people and valuable information for you to use as a resource.
Torklift Sheryl

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM
srs77
New User
Welcome aboard!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Tony

Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,517 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy. There is plenty of information and great people to help with about anything.

Rod